1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. 8BitArchitect

8BitArchitect Chieftain

I had a quick question/suggestion about the Grigori sidequests. In the late-game, I find myself spending most of my turn dealing with units currently on a sidequest (moving them back toward whatever fort they're questing at and/or skipping their turn.) While I love the ability to train my units to very high levels without having to send them into combat, wrangling them is an annoying bit of micromanagement I'd like to avoid. Obviously there needs to be some cost/risk associated with sidequests, but I feel like forcing me to manage all my units on sidequests every turn is not the best way to do this. Have any alternatives been considered that remove this annoyance?

2. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

haven't played the grigori in a while so i must admit i don't particularly recall that mechanic. I'll try to look at it soon

3. Bearmarshal

Bearmarshal Chieftain

Thanks!

The headlessness of the model is not tied to the Headless promotion, but rather a feature of the model itself. If you want them with heads but don't feel up to editing the 3D model itself, try to find another unit with a similar model you like (there is usually at least one to be found), open \Assets\XML\Units\CIV4UnitInfos.xml and replace ART_DEF_UNIT_HONORED_BAND inside UNIT_HONORED_BAND with the ART_DEF from the unit you've picked.

Hmm, hard to tell on that info alone. As Black Imperator suggested, check if this has happened to your rivals too, and if you're at war with someone or has a unit with hidden nationality, check if the reported defense bonus for the city tile includes the defensive bonus as it should be or not. As for restoring, there probably are no easy answers. If its just a cosmetic bug, it may go away if you restart Civ. Otherwise, it may go away after some turns, or not at all. I had my fair share of weird bugs in my last game which came and went, but which were too hard to find a trigger for to be worth reporting...

Some additional things:

Bugs:
    1. Code:
      Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvEventInterface", line 30, in onEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 138, in handleEvent

File "CvCustomEventManager", line 149, in _handleDefaultEvent

File "CvEventManager", line 4333, in onCityAcquired

ArgumentError: Python argument types in
          CyCity.kill(CyCity, bool)
      did not match C++ signature:
          kill(class CyCity {lvalue})
      ERR: Python function onEvent failed, module CvEventInterface
    Thoughts:
    1. In RifE, Haunted Lands were flammable, which honestly was a way more satisfying way of dealing with them than Dispel Magic is (and the only regular way for civs which lack access to tier 2 arcane spellcasters, i.e. Khazad). I would like to have that option back.

4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

So does "Boar Hero" get a name, too? I know you didn't like my earlier suggestion of Caledonian Boar as being too specific, so I figure Erymanthian Boar would have the same problem. How about something like Cernunnos's Boar? (I don't want to suggest "The Great Boar," since we now have "The Great Stag.")

Or you could choose from this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mythological_pigs

5. Vorpal+5

Vorpal+5 Venturing in Erebus

As for my issue with not seeing the defensive bonus of any city, it applies to my opponent also, and approaching an enemy city with catapult, I don't have the option to bombard city, so? How can it be? Can it be tied to one of the 4 horsemen somehow? That's rather problematic as you can guess.
    edit: a new game is working correctly. In my ongoing game, no city has any defense, even if you build say an archery range (+10%), or get more culture. I'm clueless...

Unrelated, I remember a long time ago that Civ 4 had a shortcut to designate a unit as 'preferred defender', i.e it would defend before any other units not having the designation. Do you remember such shortcut?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  6. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

1. Fixed next commit.
    I don't recall changing anything to them, what spell was used ?

let's go with cernunnos' boar.
    No idea, though that would make a nice worldspell.

Edit : I forgot to mention but for the dev diaries, just mention which theme you want to see here ^^

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. Vorpal+5

How do you cope with the +10 happiness penalty from the 4th horseman? Even the AI at deity level are crumbling because of that. I wonder if the value is fit for a game on a huge map where you might have no chance to find then fight most of the horsemen before too late.

8. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

isn't it only 5 for the first and 5 for the last ? Anyway, in my games, they rarely are around at the same time. Usually, the first one is dead by the time ars moriendi comes around.

9. Vorpal+5

I admit having played with the challenge 'double Armageddon counter rate', so I can only blame myself I guess! But 10 unhappiness for everyone will probably end up killing all civilizations I guess... I wonder if I can cheat somehow by adding a counter modifier dynamically, like editing the civics so that most allow martial law?

10. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I don't remember that in unmodded Civ 4, but FfH (and its associated modmods) added the Guardsman promotion, which makes a unit more likely to defend the stack. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

11. Bearmarshal

Bearmarshal Chieftain

Blaze. Not that it should matter, the <bFlammable>0</bFlammable> should mean they're non-flammable to all.

Hmm, I'm feeling mystical, so I say "Star".

It's called the Armageddon Counter for a reason, you know. :p

I think I may have found the cause for one of my numerous Python errors on game load. getBuildingCostMod in CvGameUtils.py gets the list of all possible buildings from the event manager without verifying that the event manager is loaded. There seems to be either a race condition or some other non-determinism involved in the loading proceedure which means getBuildingCostMod may be called before the event manager is loaded elsewhere, causing a lookup error on the information for the Gambling House. I think inserting Manager.verifyLoaded() after line 3368 in CvGameUtils.py solve, although I can't guarantee that this doesn't just move the errors elsewhere (or even works, haven't tested all too many times yet)...

12. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Changed back.

We'll see, i added it ^^
    Star is thus in the lead for next dev diary with 1 vote ^^
    See the list of possible themes here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/14P90zYvnsodp-PLfRDmAehvX--nuhGV6yhKZMUxy9NI/edit

13. Vorpal+5

I would say 'crime'. It is an opaque system for me. I want more details and be more prevalent in the game.

Also, anything about user interface and general quality of life improvements? I know of no dev liking to spend time on UI, but this is important.

14. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Well, i won't do a dev diary on UI and QoL for one major reason. Dev diaries are about the future of AoE, UI and QoL are always present. Suggest something to me and i'll see that it makes its way in the next commit ^^. On the other hand, the contents from the Dev diaries have no determined timeline. One thing i'd like to do in QoL is to update the Strategy entries when needed and add some missing ones. Please do report the ones you think are lacking.

So, Star and Crime are tied in first place with 1 vote.
    See the list of possible themes here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/14P90zYvnsodp-PLfRDmAehvX--nuhGV6yhKZMUxy9NI/edit

15. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

I have to say crime as well simply because I literally don't know what it does. It's just a number that does something and like 3 events in the game and 2 buildings modify it and that's it.

16. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

17. Vorpal+5

Black Imperator, you deserve an image as avatar, it would allow us to identify your posts much faster. And it would give some more personality to you, across the vast unknown of the internet :)

you are doing a hell of a job. Hyborem would be proud of you ;)

18. Mknn

Mknn Prince

Two smallish things

• Shardik, after a short time of moving around, has stopped wandering. Makes him much less of a threat if you just know you need to stay 1 square away.
    • While perhaps not going full BUG, some interface options would be great--reli icons on cities for example. What would it take to make this compatible with one of the more advanced of the UI mods?

19. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Is it a recurring behavior over several games ?

For the first question, we do already have religious icons on cities. For the second one, that will vary. Basically the bigger the mod the harder it is to merge but give me a few examples of UI things you want to add and i'll look into it.

20. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

I had a perpentach pic at some point, not sure what happened to it. I'll put it back probably.