Final Fixes Reborn

Decided to get back into this, so updated the SVN to the latest revision and tried to setup the game again.

Modules included: Greatest People (which still clashes with Bannor Chain Of Command), More Events, Frozen.

Booting up, noticed these:
Spoiler XML problems :
2017-12-19 (1).png
2017-12-19 (2).png
2017-12-19 (3).png

Notice how I haven't got Bannor Chain Of Command installed and hence it shouldn't be needing to bother with the Chain Of Command or Master Sergeant promotions.

Setup a Custom Game with many boxes ticked, 18 civs on huge Erebus Continent, and whilst loading the game got these errors:
Spoiler :
2017-12-19 (4).png
2017-12-19 (5).png
2017-12-19 (6).png

It looks quite similar to the "Python bug" discussed upthread, but it's coming up with C++ exceptions. Game then proceeded to not have a UI once the world had loaded, so exited and posted screencaps here instead.

So .. dunno why I hadn't thought of it before. But, *some* of my CIV files live within my Dropbox structure. I saved my game (no magic, no text), exited to desktop, paused Dropbox, reloaded, loaded game. No crash; and magic and text functioning.

Sample size is too small for real celebration, but it does support something at the filesystem level. Will keep you updated ...

Just more info. This got me a few turns, then a crash, now having a hard time getting the file to reload.

But the fact it got those few turns does help point at a local file access issue. Perhaps.

Hi there,

I've been playing from the SVN branch, and while I can set up huge maps with lots of custom settings just fine and play past 300 turns just fine, if I save the game and shut it down, I will never be able to load that save again. I can load saves just fine from within the game while it's running, but for some reason shutting it down seems to make the savegame crash whenever I try to load. This makes it hard to commit to games. Is there a known workaround for this?

Thanks

Does it mess up all the saves you have on your PC each time you shut down?
Also, what if any error message do you get? Preferably a screenshot.

Maybe. Either way you two covered his options for a quick fix. I was more concerned with telling him what to submit so that our developer can diagnose the problem and fix it so that nobody has to bother with using said solutions.

Just more details ... my game loaded, without either magic or leader text. Figured I was alright with that, completed the turn, hit continue. It's stuck on *SAVING GAME ... and has been for about 10 mins. This happened once before and resulted in a 50GB (you read that correctly) save file. I'll just let it run this time and will update with what happens. It's just another bit of detail. This is the file, just before hitting ENTER to end turn ...

Attachments

• Hyborem Turn_0881.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.1 MB · Views: 271
There was a 2GB+ file in the temp dir when I killed it. Reloaded, loaded the game. Shockingly, it relaoded fine, this time with magic and leader text. Did a few magic things I had skipped, went to the next turn ... SUCCESS!!! Playing turn 882 for the very first time ever.

Thanks for the advice. Loading an old save and then loading the most recent save from within a save instance did the trick. Another one in the arsenal ;-)

I haven't seen any specific error messages on the crashes, just the standard Win 10 dialogue that indicates the program has failed. I can screenshot it if you like.

I also have a question that I haven't been able to find answered in the forums. What is the functional difference between the different leader types: Historical, Important, and Emergent? I have seen that Emergent leaders have some sort of progress bar, but it's usually a complete mystery to me what advances that bar, and it sometimes counts back up after counting down for a time. For instance, the Calabim and their Emergent leader: 300 xp required to get to Dominant Level 2. Each time one of my units gets lucky and hits its 10% chance to convert a defeated unit, I get one xp. Is the intent that I get to Level 2 only after converting 300 units? That seems ambitious. But after founding a few cities, I went from 10% progress to -20% progress, so it's even more than 300 conversions, if that's the only way to advance the counter.

What's more, the Domineering trait that claims to allow units to pick up the Command I and Command II promotions doesn't seem to do that; I advanced a Moroi to Combat V and still never had the option to choose a Command I promotion. Am I missing something? I see that normally Command I is limited to disciple units, but then what does "Authorizes unit to acquire: Command I and Command II" mean?

I had more luck advancing the Archos Emergent counter, getting up to 33%, but I never once was able to advance the Treacherous counter on the Legion of D'Tesh's Emergent leader.

Historical Leaders are the vanilla ones,
Important Leaders start with one classic trait, but can gain one of the classic traits based on what you do.

Emergent Leaders have only one trait, which can be upgreaded based on certain actions.

for Dominant for example, Capturing units, but also taking command promotions or focusing on Mind Magic will get you points.

(Yeah, Command 1 should be available to melee units with the Domineering promotion, i'm not sure what happened there, the -20% progress is another bug i'll look into).

As for Treacherous not working, it's normal the Trait hasn't been finalized yet.

At the moment, the list of finalized Emergent traits is :

Dominant, Egalitarian, Hydromancer, Illusionist, Lycanthropic, Necromancer, Spiderkin, Theocratic, Veinhunter and Virtuous Pirate.

I'm interested in feedback on those, especially balance.

OK, a lot of those were on nations I intended to try in any event, so I'll start working on trying them out. Thanks for the information.

Edit: Oh, also, I think I might have figured out the problem with the Command I promotion. I can choose it on Vampires, but not Moroi. I think it's because Vampires have Channeling and Moroi don't. I'm fairly certain that's the problem, because I can choose Command I on Vampires but not Command 2, and the only difference is that Command 2 requires Channeling 3, which Vampires don't have. This all may be intended behavior, I just thought I'd mention it so you don't chase a non-bug.

Last edited:
I updated and wanted to play again after a while. Sadly these phyton bugs still there, making this great mod unplayabble for me .-(.
Tried several starts and launches, in most cases the UI was missing in game, or random events occur in strange an unusual ways.
Hopefully you guys can find a solution for this bugs someday.
I wish all of you a happy new year .

Until they do I suggest you pick up the stable version. It does not have all the bells and whistles but it is stable.

Hey, it been a long time. Very happy to see things still alive in some fashion after all these years. :thanx: Started playing again since Christmas. One round down. Won by accidental cultural victory as Luchirp in the mid 500s. Forgot that leaving monster production cities on culture conversion wins the game.:hammer2:

Hey, I'd like to know what triggers the Kahdi event for the Amurites (if that even exists anymore.) That and if there's a playable version of the Jotnar in this build.

I discovered what seems to be setting my Calabim Emergent trait counter back: when a werewolf converts an enemy into a ravenous werewolf it adds a large amount to the required count for the next level.

I just finished my first AoE game. The game was big fun and full of civ-specific flavor. :thumbsup:
Can I post some bug reports and questions though I played the 'official' release 14.11 version?
(I tried svn r301 indeed but the game always crashed at the very first turn when I click the 'end turn' button. Sometimes crash occured while initializing a new game. (I'm using CIV4 DVD Version and windows 7 system.)

1. I played as Illians but never have found any blizzard at all throughout the entire game before and after completing The Deepening.
The ritual just made terrains cool. I hope this was fixed in the later versions.

2. I was at war against all civs(except my vassal Amurites) after completing The Draw.
Later when I completed Auric Ascension, Doviello was forced to become my vassal(I guess it's because their state religion was White Hand) but they were still at war against me.
Foreign Adviser showed that they're my vassal though we're still actually fighting and scoreboard showed the red letter WAR. I hope this was fixed too. (I solved this situation by Worldbuilder.)

3. Mulyafar priestess could climb volcanoes but not peaks. Is it their feature or a bug? Pedia tells they can move through impassable terrains.

4. Priests of Hand can summon Frostlings infinitely. Need some limitation here, I guess.(to the same number of the military units that the civ owns? or something else?)

Now I'm uninstalling BTS and going to reinstall it to re-try the latest svn of AoE on clean-intall of BTS.
It's a great mod anyway. Thank you for your efforts and creativity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom