Final Fixes Reborn

Honestly I don't like the idea. Tolerance in a world such as FFH is something that should be rare and unique as opposed to widespread. It takes a special kind of ruler to be able to wrangle vampires and demons to fight side by side with tree worshipers and those that follow order. And this is literally the sort of differences we are talking about here.

I think you make a really good argument here, especially since FfH, as Kael kept telling us, is supposed to be dark fantasy. My main thought had been, as I said above, that the people of a conquered city don't suddenly transform from Elves to Dwarves (or Humans to Elves, or Orcs to Humans, etc.). But maybe, since this is supposed to be dark fantasy, the conquerors (except for those handful of leaders) are indeed wiping out the conquered population and repopulating them with their own people.

If that's all you want a nice solution might be to add a python function that checks the city culture levels each time a unit is built, rolls a dice and applies the appropriate racial promotion to the unit. With some extra checks in place to ensure UUs are always of the appropriate race. As racial promotions are really mostly cosmetic that would get the desired effect without encroaching on tolerant.

I was mostly just thinking aloud about the logic of the system, why it is that a conqueror doesn't use the knowledge and skills of a conquered people. We've got examples in human history of multinational empires with mixed military forces, eg, Hannibal's army included not just soldiers from Carthage, but Balearic slingers and Numidian cavalry. Even in fantasy: Sauron's army wasn't just Orcs, but various human nations as well -- Easterlings, Southrons/Haradrim, Variags of Khand. So that's why I figured maybe the presumption in the mod is that a conqueror imposes its own military and social structures on a conquered people and doesn't adopt anything from its conquered subjects -- we have plenty of examples of that in human history as well, of course.

Anyway, I'm not really fixated on this one way or the other. The downside of adding something like Assimilation to the game is a certain loss of distinctiveness -- if everybody can potentially build everything, then the differences between the various civs are diminished. I might favor having it as an option, but certainly not as the default setting.

Greetings,
I ´ved got a short question about the hamstalfars. They have elve workers, so I ´m surprised they can ´t build houses and farms, mines in the woods like the svartalafar and ljosalfar?

yeah, i'm not sure how much of this is a conscious decision and how much of it is just whoever implemented them forgot to add it. (I seem to remember some plans about them being more "plain" elves instead of "forest" elves, but i'll check my notes)

Revision 340 commited :
Various Bug Fixes
Adding PerPopEffects to Buildings
Adding UnitCombatCaptureRate to Units
Adding OnTraitGained and OnTraitLost Python events
Fixing Issue with Building UnitSpawn
Various Balance Experiments for Crime Stuff

For Information : it's probably still needed to run the game through Win7 compatibility mode. I still haven't found the cause from that issue.

I got some trouble while updating and now I dunno, if the newest patch is installed correctly. Tried to configute ingame graphic settings and the menu was empty. I guess I crashed it, will look next days into it. Old savegames cause instant crash with pop up, but I think that ´s normal?

Hmm I deleted all files and tried to get a proper installation of the svn with svn checkout but I always get download proplems after a while, when trying to continue the updater says revision is broken and I shall clean up with svn and I think that crashes my installation. Do I need to download the standard version first? If I remember right the svn checkout will download all needed files, or I ´m wrong?

upload_2019-10-29_17-59-55.png

ah, it occasionally happens if the servers are a bit too busy. Right click on the folder, choose svn, clean up ( default option), let it run, then right click on the folder, choose svn update to continue the download

Ok, I was able to do the download without interruptions and now everything is fine ;-). I played a bit with the new SVN and it ´s very stable, had no crashs, phyton bugs etc. Some of the new events still don ´t work..."creatures settle down in one of your cities, druid cast blossom spell... you found a tunnel etc."

Greetings,
it seems some of the modules got a double installation or the problem occurs while activating modules, I dunno.
First screen shows conflict while you see at second screen the same 2 modules are activated and deactivated at once. When I delete the 2 disabled modules it seem to work (screen 3) but dunno if they still work. When I look for updates the module files get restored and I got the same problem again. Any thoughts?

upload_2019-11-2_18-20-33.png

Hmm, in Discord are currently other discussions, so I post some of my civ ideas here ;-).

Grigori:
I still feel civs without religion missing something in the game, two important things are the commerce thing, what causes them to have less culture, oney income and units and the missing fun aspect. I like the Illian concept as they have their own white hand cult, bound to their culture and nature. Imho Grigori could have something like that as well. As Cassiel is an angel and want his ppl to be more self-determined a true religion or persona cult or worship to gods would not fit to them. Also Cassiel does not seem to be vain, so he would not like ppl see him as a god or emperor. Also he doesn ´t like Gods or mighty beasts that want to rule the world, like the dragons.
So there could be some kind of "told traditions" for the Grigori that replace a relgion or cult, called "dragon lore" or "dragon tales" that could be spread for Grigori only, the replacement for the temple could be some building like "adventurer Guild" that gives build uniots for example the dragonkiller promotion and maybe some + rate for adventurer spawn and some commerce. The unique Building for that could be a building called "Dragonbane" for example.
Another idea would be to rename their champions into Dragonslayer, because that ´s what they are with their dragonkiller promotion.
I know religions are on the to do list, so maybe the ideas may have some place ;-)

Sidar:
I think they feel a bit lost, in FFH they were my favourite civ with their ability to create big persons from level 6+ units, I would like to see them in this role again.
Also their sidar withdrawn life should be more present. I got some ideas about a created fog in their territory what makes this area invisible to other civs, barbs etc until they enter the fog. Making moves in fog could have a chance to occur fear by the unit so it can ´t move there for one turn, or runs back. Also the fog could be scary for bhaal units so they would not enter it, making moves in fog for enemy units could cause spectres to appear like the wood in leave religion. Sidar Workers (and other units?) could be unvisible as long as they are in sidar fog area. Fog would be OP to have all that points, but some might fit into the game maybe ,-).

Hmm, in Discord are currently other discussions, so I post some of my civ ideas here ;-).

Grigori:
I still feel civs without religion missing something in the game, two important things are the commerce thing, what causes them to have less culture, oney income and units and the missing fun aspect. I like the Illian concept as they have their own white hand cult, bound to their culture and nature. Imho Grigori could have something like that as well. As Cassiel is an angel and want his ppl to be more self-determined a true religion or persona cult or worship to gods would not fit to them. Also Cassiel does not seem to be vain, so he would not like ppl see him as a god or emperor. Also he doesn ´t like Gods or mighty beasts that want to rule the world, like the dragons.
So there could be some kind of "told traditions" for the Grigori that replace a relgion or cult, called "dragon lore" or "dragon tales" that could be spread for Grigori only, the replacement for the temple could be some building like "adventurer Guild" that gives build uniots for example the dragonkiller promotion and maybe some + rate for adventurer spawn and some commerce. The unique Building for that could be a building called "Dragonbane" for example.
Another idea would be to rename their champions into Dragonslayer, because that ´s what they are with their dragonkiller promotion.
I know religions are on the to do list, so maybe the ideas may have some place ;-)

Sidar:
I think they feel a bit lost, in FFH they were my favourite civ with their ability to create big persons from level 6+ units, I would like to see them in this role again.
Also their sidar withdrawn life should be more present. I got some ideas about a created fog in their territory what makes this area invisible to other civs, barbs etc until they enter the fog. Making moves in fog could have a chance to occur fear by the unit so it can ´t move there for one turn, or runs back. Also the fog could be scary for bhaal units so they would not enter it, making moves in fog for enemy units could cause spectres to appear like the wood in leave religion. Sidar Workers (and other units?) could be unvisible as long as they are in sidar fog area. Fog would be OP to have all that points, but some might fit into the game maybe ,-).

Grigori:

Culture was a problem for the Grigori in regular FfH2, since they can't research the religious techs and build temples, but in Ashes of Erebus some of their Unique Buildings give them culture, so I think it's less of a problem. Maybe small culture boosts can be added to their other UBs, but I think they're okay. And they have some nice new mechanisms, such as refugees, sidequests, and separating the Adventurer counter from the regular Great Person counter.

I'm not sure what version of the mod you're commenting on, because although White Hand was Illians-only in FfH2, in AoE and its predecessor modmods, it's a regular tech that can be researched and founded by anyone, and anyone can adopt it as a state religion.

Similarly, the Grigori in AoE already have an Adventurer's Guild UB, their Champion replacement is called the Dragon Slayer and begins with the Dragon Slaying promotion.

Sidar:

I agree with you that the Sidar seem to be lacking something in AoE, so maybe bringing back the ability to Wane level 6+ units to become Great Persons would add something. It would definitely complement the fact that the Sidar Palace provides bonuses from Great Persons in all cities.

Does this mod contains AoE content? If not, which of those two is more polished?

Was wondering if it could be time to make a new thread for AoE? Considering it seems that the original post in this thread wasn't made by imperator and ronkhar hasn't been online since '16. Most people assume the first post is the place to go for information etc

Is it possible to ask a Moderator to rename the thread? Maybe something like "Ashes of Erebus fka Final Fixes Reborn."

Sure but like why. We all know that the one and only really active thread in this forum is the main one.

Top Bottom