1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

hmmm the one thing i can imagine is an issue with the hidden options that locked some religions. It's an usual issue when switching mods, and it's suggested to start a play now game to reset those options.

2. Keansor

Keansor Chieftain

Aaaah, that must be it. I've been switching between this and Fall Further since the AI in Fall Further doesn't get stuck unable to expand due to barbarians. Been a few years, so I forgot about that problem.

3. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

don't do what i just did....
    wondered why my capital (scion) was so unhappy and nobody was working tiles. Then i notice the crime rate...... 4000+ :wallbash:

4. Jerrian

Jerrian Chieftain

Haha, yeah my first game experience with crime implemented was kinda similar. My huge capital ended as a pop 3 city, the sacrifice of unhappy ppl to reduce the crime effects and combined decrease of crime per turn made it even worse :-(. Now I care that crime is always at zero in my games, better save then sorry ;-)

@ Blackimperator Do you post here too when you release new versions? I ´m not able to use Discord quite often at the moment to have a look on it ;-)

5. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Prince

Personally I think the crime rate is a broken feature. It is useless, almost adds only negative stuff to a city. Decreasing crime is simple: anti crime buildings, and units with anti crime promotion. It only adds unnecessary flat micro management.

In my opinion it should be an experimental feature that can be disabled in the game options. However this is not the case, and we are forced to use it.

6. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Yeah, i post the version here too. For crime, i'm gonna add a couple of events when you first get mid-high level crime to warn the player about it so that we avoid this first game crime rampage ^^.

It's because it's an experimental feature that it doesn't have a disabling game option yet. I needed as much feedback as possible for its first phase. Game option is coming with the next update, along with the beginning of phase 2 of Crime stuff.

We've already had this discussion, but i've always intended to start with the baseline to get it balanced, then integrate civ and religion stuff, and finally the revamped assassin line into it. I felt i needed the basic negative stuff relatively balanced before integrating more stuff into the mechanic.

as usual, i welcome constructive feedback.

Jerrian likes this.
  7. Cyrus317

Cyrus317 Chieftain

What's the current Revision Number for SVN? I'm showing 341. Is that accurate?

8. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

yes it's accurate.

9. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

on Crime, I think one of the main issue is that it's not really controllable, there are no real bonus, and it can spiral rapidly.
    it's only like an uncontrollable, infinite unhealth : you need to fight against it constantly but it doesn't bring anything save the use of it's own system (anti crime).
    if it was only "events", you can control, you can decide to pay or invest in water mana / nature mana / law mana...Etc

+ having some "positive effect" with crime would be a difference.
    getting a way to "block crime" or "block crime effect" would also be good :

I think the key would be the "controllable" aspect as opposite to the actual insiduous aspect of crime : it moves, unnoticed, until you take notice of it.

some ideas (random)

-"Military purge: commerce / production " : city in anarchy for x+2 turn, blocks crime acquisition, removes 100 crime per turn" (lose 1pop/turn??): gives +10crime/turn afterwards for 2X turns & X temp angry for "can't forgive your oppression".
    (or flat values : example : crime to zero, -3 pop, 3turns of anarchy, 3angry for 10 turns + 30 crime for 3 turn )
    -"Negociate with crime syndicate" "city-spell castable once code of law exist" : crime put at zero or all negative crime builings are removed but crime level still evolves through other means: -20%prod -20%commerce -20%food:
    - "purge crime syndicate": remove the crime syndicate building / + loot gold / reduce crime by 100... but you get back the previous crime effects
    - "buy slaves" : allowed if crime > X : can buy slaves (cheaper ??)
    - "conscript the gangs" : allowed if crime > XX : can enlist units at half price ; reduce crime by 100 (units born with the "weak" promotion and "auto-raze" and "can turn barbarian")
    - "Have them train you" : +5xp to recon ; +50%building rate of assassin & CoE units ; need crime > 400.
    - "Make them pay": +2gold/turn/100crime : periodic raids from police onto the gangs
    - "Police the Yakuza" : (need advanced tech/ crime > X) removes negative crime effect : +0.2 unhealth/pop, - 0.5 gold/pop, +0.2 culture /pop; +0.2 hammer/angry pop. (like Japan : corruption exists, but maintained within "reasonnable limits", sex industry and drugs boom, but people are working... even the poor and destitute)
    - "Anti-crime Military Police": buildable only if >400 crime : unit with "anti-crime 2" gain +0.2xp/turn until 10xp : unit with "anti-crime 3" gain +0.3xp/turn until 26xp : unit with "anti-crime 4" gain +0.4xp/turn until 37xp.

...etc

Jojo_Fr likes this.
  10. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Adding more interactions with the system is definitely something i'm considering. the ones i've added are mostly civ and religious based so far, but i'm willing to consider some more generic ones if good ideas show.

11. Jerrian

Jerrian Chieftain

Is there any chance to get the awesome Lakes map back into game? I mostly play on own games and the map options are not that good at all, normally I use to play Sea.highlands but these Big hill peek tiles with no use for the capital make me restart quite often until I ´m satisfied with the starting location ;-).

Also it would be nice if these hills would have some tile bonus. I could imagine they could give hammers as you always finde some stone and mineral there and bonus to health as hills have always have some unique fauna and flora. As most units and workers can ´t pass big hills, the bonus should be given without further imrprovement by workers of the tile.

12. Rhelous

Rhelous Chieftain

Hey, I've been having some serious trouble trying to download this mod. The download works fine, but every time I try to open it with 7-zip, it just tells spits out a bunch of 'Unsupport compression method' messages and a folder with no actual information in it. Like, the files and assets are there, but they're completely empty.

Can someone help? I really have no clue what to do here and I can't tell if it's something on my end or if the download link's broken somehow.

13. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I thought there already was an option to disable crime, since I've seen the checkbox in the Custom Game options. I've never used it myself.

I like the Tectonics map, that's pretty much become my favorite.

14. Jerrian

Jerrian Chieftain

Hmm, all I can tell you is that there is sometimes trouble downloading the files as the the download crashes. Maybe you did not get all the files, plz try to push download/upgrade button again and again until you don´t receive anymore files.

Yeah i tried this myself often too, but I dislike the fact that some land tiles are surrounded by water and only reachable by flying units or units that can pass water. Got me angry as I tried to reach Bridgets Prison with my lvl. 15 scout :-D.

15. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I tried out the Lakes map a long time ago, well before Ashes of Erebus, might have been unmodded FfH2 or maybe Fall Further. With so much land, of course (70%, I think), you could have every civilization in the game from the start, if you had a large enough map, which was fun. Downside was the game slowing down earlier than usual, with all those units in the game. And no real use for naval units, if I remember correctly.

I noticed that the Lakes map, along with several others, is disabled by default in the AoE launcher. I'm sure there's a reason for that, but would be interesting to know if it's possible to safely Enable those map scripts.

16. Cyrus317

Cyrus317 Chieftain

Please, no one take this the wrong way, but I enjoy trying to play games with the max civs possible. This, of course, increases the likelihood of crashes. Is there a list of civs from Least stable to most stable? I don't want to ditch the non-vanilla FF2 civs just because I'm superstitious.

For reference, I'm talking about civ stability when played by the AI.

17. Jerrian

Jerrian Chieftain

I tried to play with the lakes map but I wasn ´t even able to get a game started as the game crashed immediatly again and again.

Cyrus got my point, I love playing great maps with advanced barbarians, all special unique terrain and as much civs as possible with much landmass. The seafights never got me entertained much, so I don ´t really miss the sea fights.
    I usually take the biggest map with 14 civs, if you try to load default setting there are 20+ civs enabled but you wait days until a game is started and the system is going to crash more often. The most crashes occur while the other civs and bhaal and cernunnos units are moving, sadly there are some crashes in your games at your end of turn that come again and can ´t be fixed, so many savegames are lost.
    For example in one game a named tyran probably killed my worker and the game crashed. Another time a skeleton lancier attacked my stack and the game crashed, I reloaded again and again until he decided to not attack and could continue my game. These are some real bugs and not just some random crashes due to cache or Pc problems.

I would like to have a console log tool that shows the reason why the game crashes, imho it would be much more helpful to fix current bugs instead to just send savefiles to Black_imperator.

18. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

I'm playing as the Bannor, and got hit with a global +5 unhappiness when Stephanos spawned. The malus was labelled "There are frightening units nearby", even though he spawned on the other side of the world. Is this intentional? If so, it is far too harsh and global; all my cities have essentially ground to a halt; I can produce nothing.

19. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Yeah, it's intended though i didn't remember it being 5 Unhappiness. I thought it was 2 or 3

20. fdrpi

fdrpi Prince

That would be much more reasonable. In most of my cities, the only production is the 1 hammer from the city tile itself. :p

2 is a good number; it's significant without being crippling.