Final Fixes Reborn

Hmmm, I'm running the version off of subversion, because it's more up to date, though I did have that error where nothing happened. That was when I accidentally installed it in the wrong directory

Can you run RiFE tools off the launcher and check the RIFE path
View attachment 555468
I can, yes

upload_2020-5-13_11-29-17.png

I will try one more thing. I think this might be Bugmod conflicting with the game, so I will do another clean install and do nothing but extract AoE and see if it works.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-13_11-28-35.png
    upload_2020-5-13_11-28-35.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
First time (or second maybe, since this is the 2nd time you mention it) I hear about the subversion copy. Is it the beta version? Or where can I find it?

First time (or second maybe, since this is the 2nd time you mention it) I hear about the subversion copy. Is it the beta version? Or where can I find it?
From the installation post on the first page

Beta version - SVN tool - example using tortoisesvn for Windows
  • download and install tortoisesvn (where you usually install programs, for example C:\Utils\TortoiseSVN)
  • restart computer (necessary to load with windows explorer)
  • open Civ4 mods folder (for example="C:\Games\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods")
  • right click at any place in the folder, and click "svn checkout"
  • in the tortoisesvn window that opens, enter parameters as follow :
    • url of repository : svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/ashesoferebus/code/
    • checkout directory : YOUR_CIV4_BTS_FOLDER\YOUR_BTS_FOLDER\Mods\Ashes of Erebus
    • if you're not a C++ programmer, you can remove (avoid downloading) the c++ code by clicking on "choose items", check everything except the folder named "DLL Sourcecode(for coders only)"
  • once you hit OK, the software proceeds to donwload the mod to the right place
  • When it has finished, you can see "completed at revision ##". Acknowledge with OK.
  • You can now create a shortcut to the mod launcher (for example : C:\Jeux\Civilization 4 BTS\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Ashes of Erebus\AoElauncher.exe)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DID IT. Managed to fix it. It appears that even when BugMod is uninstalled, it makes some changes on the launcher that persist even when uninstalling the game. I deleted the Civ 4 folder in My Games, under my user's folder, and it managed to run! So there was indeed a conflict between 2 mods.

God, that was awful. I spent 2 entire days on this. I really thank you two for bringing me aid in this matter! If anyone else stumbles on the same issue I had and also seeks help making this run on their Steam version, just follow these 2 steps:

1. Make sure that no mod you've installed is messing with Civ 4's launcher. In my case, it was BugMod. Delete your mods folder (hope you have a backup of them somewhere) and delete the My Games folder on LocalDisk>Users>(User's name)> Documents>My Games>beyond the sword. Make sure that you backup your savefiles if you don't want to lose them! Once that's done, verify game's files. Then proceed with step 2.

2. Unlike what the original installation instructions say, DO NOT unzip the folder on the mods folder. For whatever reason, doing so creates an extra folder with the mod's name. Unzip it somewhere else, then cut and paste it to BtS mods folder. There should NOT be a "Ashes of Erebus" folder under another one with the similar name. This is what your installation should look like:

upload_2020-5-13_16-29-19.png

That's it! Have fun!

First off, apologies for the very late answers for some, 2020 has proven very busy so far.

When I try launching the game nothing happens.. I followed the instructions, I have the steam version, ive changed the beta to original, i can get the launcher to start ive double checked the path.. but still absolutly nothing happens after i hit launch.

I am also having same issue, Windows 10 Home edition, fresh install of computer and steam / CIV4/BTA (set to Beta original release). Followed the instructions but nothing happens after I hit launch. Any help much appreciated - even just ideas on what to try. I've run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and 8, run as administrator etc. to no avail yet...

A likely issue you're running in is what Mexaddon ran in. Either a wrongly set path or another mod messing with the civ4 launcher.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DID IT. Managed to fix it. It appears that even when BugMod is uninstalled, it makes some changes on the launcher that persist even when uninstalling the game. I deleted the Civ 4 folder in My Games, under my user's folder, and it managed to run! So there was indeed a conflict between 2 mods.

God, that was awful. I spent 2 entire days on this. I really thank you two for bringing me aid in this matter! If anyone else stumbles on the same issue I had and also seeks help making this run on their Steam version, just follow these 2 steps:

1. Make sure that no mod you've installed is messing with Civ 4's launcher. In my case, it was BugMod. Delete your mods folder (hope you have a backup of them somewhere) and delete the My Games folder on LocalDisk>Users>(User's name)> Documents>My Games>beyond the sword. Make sure that you backup your savefiles if you don't want to lose them! Once that's done, verify game's files. Then proceed with step 2.

2. Unlike what the original installation instructions say, DO NOT unzip the folder on the mods folder. For whatever reason, doing so creates an extra folder with the mod's name. Unzip it somewhere else, then cut and paste it to BtS mods folder. There should NOT be a "Ashes of Erebus" folder under another one with the similar name. This is what your installation should look like:

View attachment 555526

That's it! Have fun!
With your permission, i'll add that explanation to a readme inside the download.

Thanks for the continued work on this awesome mod, that said I noticed an issue while playing as the scions of Patria. If you form a colony with a low pop city( as they normally are when conquered) it changes to a zero population city which makes your colony unable to do anything as they are Fallow and cant grow population. Also noticed you cant gift units to your colony, not sure if this is normal.View attachment 548279
The no gift is normal, the 0 pop, definitely not. They should still be able to generate some Awakened/Reborn and get pop that way, but i'll check why it gets to 0 (that should be prevented)

It's been a while, but I just checked out the SVN again (seem have to lost access to my old civ fanatics account. Missed this mod. Anyway, what're the updates to crime rate? It seems to work differently now, which is cool, but I don't know what effect having a high or low crime rate would have.

I wanted to inject a bit of dynamism into that system which was not very consequential or variable. The base idea is that you have two values now : Crime per Turn and Total Crime Rate. Crime per turn increases with population and adds to the Total Crime Rate.

When the Total Crime Rate gets to certain levels, you get crime sprees added to your cities.

It's mechanically buildings that are automatically built when conditions are reunited and disappear when they're not anymore. Most of those crime buildings have negative effects on your cities.

As of now, it is mostly a negative mechanic that you need to manage. I'm in the process of adding civ-and-religion specific crime buildings (still taking suggestions) and i also want to tie it into the assassin unit line, so that you will occasionally want to try and attain a larger crime level in some of your cities.

Last edited:
With your permission, i'll add that explanation to a readme inside the download.

Feel free! I also linked this thread to the top Steam Discussion thread that appears when Googling this issue, so hopefully it will aid some people with the same issue or experiencing a similar one.

I wanted to inject a bit of dynamism into that system which was not very consequential or variable. The base idea is that you have two values now : Crime per Turn and Total Crime Rate. Crime per turn increases with population and adds to the Total Crime Rate.

When the Total Crime Rate gets to certain levels, you get crime sprees added to your cities.

It's mechanically buildings that are automatically built when conditions are reunited and disappear when they're not anymore. Most of those crime buildings have negative effects on your cities.

As of now, it is mostly a negative mechanic that you need to manage. I'm in the process of adding civ-and-religion specific crime buildings (still taking suggestions) and i also want to tie it into the assassin unit line, so that you will occasionally want to try and attain a larger crime level in some of your cities.

I like the crime rate changes over all, though some times it can sneak up on you especially in newly conquered cities if you’re not paying attention. Maybe some of the high pop civs like Kuriotates could have some adjustment to their UBs to control crime rate or something along those lines.

Some Civs do already, some others will get it next version. For the Kurios specifically, i must admit i don't have many ideas that fit.
Yeah, that's fair enough, maybe I'm just spoiled from playing a Decius Bannor game before. I'll probably just build more units with patrol promos, do centaurs have the ability to get the anti-crime promo?

Hi everyone ,
I got a problem with the latest build.[R341] on steam
I load the game and it runs, but when I start a new game, after making all the choices of nation , size geography ….
the game thinks for a while and CTD.
I tried on two different computers.

any advice?

Thanks

Hi everyone ,
I got a problem with the latest build.[R341] on steam
I load the game and it runs, but when I start a new game, after making all the choices of nation , size geography ….
the game thinks for a while and CTD.
I tried on two different computers.

any advice?

Thanks

Hi, If you start a new game, or having problems with your current game, always delete the cache under "User-App Data-local-MyGames-Beyond the sword-cache" or whatever your game path is. Normally your problems should be done after it, or you have at least much less problems. Also helps with the Timer Bug when loading a game (dunno if anybody knows of it...) Sometimes when I load an advanced game, I got a timer in the right above corner when doing my moves (very annoying) so I quit game , delete cache and can use the save file without timer. /shrug

@All
Is there a new SVN version out lately? I can ´t check because I ´ve a good game running with the calabim at the moment, and updating files always causing compatibility issues with mods and current save games, so I try to avoid it.

Svn. I was able to replicate it each time I tried moving an overseer with two slugas into haunted lands (I didn't try any other combinations), as well as one time when they were just moving through it. It was only mildly inconvenient, I just had regular slaves build in the areas where my overseers couldn't. I didn't specifically try it out with battle sluga, but I think a group of them moved through one when I was ordering them once and there wasn't any issue.

I should also probably note that it immediately freezes my game when it happens, which makes me suspect the game tries to create an infinite amount of sluga.

Another thing, now that I think about it: Despite having unique units for both religions, when playing as the Mezatl researching Honor didn't found Empyrian for me while Runes of Kilmorph wasn't even a research option. Is this intentional?

Top Bottom