1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Final Fixes Reborn

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Ronkhar, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ichbinsehselber

ichbinsehselber Prince

I realize that you are doing the work and thus taking the decisions.

Still, I want to try to convince you once more to drop the princess rule. It may have been fun for somebody. So somebody had a big laugh trapping the newbie players with making the right decision for anybody with a role playing background the hidden trap.

But let's get rid of a load stone of the past. Instead go with role playing flair. keep the game attractive and intuitive and change it that letting the unicorn live gives a real bonus to good players. What you do to the unicorn should also affect the players alignment.

I am new to this modmod and it is your decision. I have played fall from heaven and it was exactly what I liked most about it that you could usually trust your intuition with the decsions. Again, it's your decision, I can only urge you for the sake of any new players. Trust me other new players will have similar issues.

2. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

well, that's why the initial event was "truer" for fair-play : you could never chose "let the unicorn live"... so you couldn't make a "wrong choice".

The princess rule is not a joke, or something fun.

it is a design rule for FFH : the embodiment of "dark" fantasy : it is to allow modders to know when they leave the essence of FFH.

if you notice, alignement : good and evil, have nothing to do with our own notion of good and evil, even if "FFH evil" has a touch of craziness and dangerousness in it.

good is only "Wants to oppose all fallen archangel"

Bannor are the epithomes of "good"... however they are one of the most intolerant and fanatic civ of FFH. their own civics : is in fact really a mix of Faschism and Inquisition "its better to raze a whole city than risk leaving a single AV worshipper alive"

evil is only "wants to oppose all archangels".

as a side note, you can follow OO and be neutral: sucking life-force from people, drowning them to make undead guards... is NEUTRAL... Why you can't be good with OO is because behind OO is in fact the fallen mind archangel : so OO is tainted.

the only one that are kinda "good" in an kharmic sens are Elohim, Kuriotates and Grigori (maybe Sidar), and in the "new" civs : maybe Dural / Chislev...

Regarding the Unicorn event:
    really, in such dark fantasy setting, letting the unicorn flee is a LOSS to your civ... it's a hunt where you bring back nothing, having to force your people to eat more and more into your reserves... going closer to starvation.
    it's a hunt where you leave a pretty but weak animal in liberty... and allow predators to eat it an grow by drinking it's magic-imbued blood.

3. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

So, so as to improve a bit the way most games unfold, i intend to rebalance the LeaderHead diplomatic xmls ( also started to look into AI, but that's another story ^^). I've written a long doc explaining every involved xml tags if there's anyone interested in helping (There are many leaders to work on^^). It's available in the read me folder of the svn version.

4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I mentioned in an earlier post that I wasn't sure how The Draw and Seven Pines interacted with each other, but I confirmed in my latest game that Seven Pines overrides The Draw.

I'm playing as the Illians and completed The Draw. I happen to have the Seven Pines in my territory, so as an experiment I sent a unit there and had him cast the spell to force peace, and it worked, I was at at peace with everyone. (I'll probably reload the preceding autosave and play without forcing peace at Seven Pines, just for flavor reasons.)

Anyway, I just wanted to report this. I don't know how the team feels about this, and I don't really have strong feelings. I do think that the original intent of The Draw was for the Illians to be at war with everyone for the rest of the game, although I think the text says only that they're blocked from diplomacy with other players after completing The Draw. The Seven Pines spell doesn't constitute diplomacy, so maybe this is okay. Things like the great mediator event, or the soldiers showing mercy event, on the other hand, do imply that some diplomacy is taking place between the sides to result in peace, so should probably be blocked for the Illians once The Draw is completed.

Just my two cents.

5. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

The main issue is that there's currently no easy way to check whether we are in a post-Draw war ( unless checking all cities of all people at war for the project, which I don't really want to do). I do have a plan to expand the Events with a flag system that will be useful for that. I don't know when i'll have time to do it. (It's not really high priority ^^)

6. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

Fair enough that it's not an especially high priority. I'm not a programmer, so I guess I thought it would be relatively easy to block the Illians from the events in question once they completed the Draw.

Two other fixes come to mind:

1) Disabling those events for *everyone* once the Draw is completed -- a bit brute force, but maybe easier to program?

2) Disabling those events for the Illians for the whole game, meaning they would have to have some kind of a "not Illians" prerequisite.

Anyway, not a high priority, as you said.

7. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

the first on would be the same as what i described, either the check that draw has been completed ( check for all civs to get the illians, then check for all cities to get the project) or my flag system once i make it

the second would be an easily doable quickfix. i'll think about it

8. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

So I ended up coding the Flag system i was talking about (got bored this afternoon).

Flags can be defined easily in an XML file in GameInfos. After that you can use them as you want:
    I'm adding PrereqFlags and PrereqNotFlags to EventTriggers. (in case of an event involving several players, at least one of the players has to verify the prereqs),
    along with AddFlags, AddGlobalFlags, RemoveFlags and RemoveGlobalFlags to Events. It will also be python-compatible so you can test for, add and remove flags anywhere you want.

This should allow for working event chains and an easier way to track down some specific occurences in the game. I'm gonna implement a flag for Draw and rewrite the Lanun Quest to make use of them.

(Note, the tags in EventTriggers and Events are modular, but the Flag Definition isn't yet)

Doing some testing, and i'll commit

9. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

With respect to the Draw, if you think it will slow things down too much, might be best to go with the second option of simply disabling those particular events for the Illians throughout the game. Deprives the Illians of an ability that's relatively minor, I think.

If you do try the flag thing for the Draw, I'd suggest you make sure that it doesn't prevent either Seven Pines or Corlindale's Peace ability -- the Draw is supposed to prevent Illian diplomacy, but those are spells, so shouldn't be affected, I don't think.

10. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

Yeah, i'm just gonna set up the flags to block the events you mentionned in an earlier post.

As for the speed, it shouldn't cause any issue, that's the whole point of the system. ( instead of searching for the project in every player part of the war, we just check if one boolean is true for one of the players involved in the event).

11. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Need some help. I downloaded this mod as suggested, except I didn't extract directly to mod folder like you said. I found that didn't work for me,so I extracted it to a different location, then copy pasted into mod folder. Now, when I try to access mod from AoE launcher, it doesn't launch, and when I try to go to BtS and load a mod, I just load BtS again instead of the mod.

12. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

You might have moved it in the incorrect mod folder : (There are two "Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ Mods" and "Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods", you want to put the mod in the second one)

Second possibility is that, when you extracted, you created an extra folder level. You should find the "Assets" folder directly under "Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Ashes of Erebus".

If you get a specific error from the launcher, please mention the error message so that i can give you better advice

13. jackelgull

Yeah, turns out there was an extra folder level, thanks for the help.

Also, need more help. When I patched to 14.4, the graphics became horrible. I was supposed to delete the text folder right?

14. primepolar

primepolar Chieftain

First time posting, big fan of what you are doing. I've been playing with the latest from svn and have noticed slowdown several times from barbs spawning from the death mana unique feature. After 100 turns the game slows down from the hundreds of skeletons and spectres spawning. Usually several AI get wiped out as well. If the either the island that spawns drown or the death mana unique feature start nearby it ends up unplayable. I like idea of the emergent leaders leveling up. Anyways keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the progress.

15. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

What do you mean, the graphics became horrible ? (can you show me a screenshot?)

for the spawning thing, The Broken Sepulchar doesn't spawn anything currently (only the results of exploring), while the Rinwell island has a limit of 6 units spawned at once (again, not counting the results of exploring).

So if you're seeing more than that, there is a serious issue indeed.

16. jackelgull

I fixed my graphics problem by redownloading Ashes of Erebus 14.11, and then copying and pasting into the folder those files again. This time the graphics are fine, but I have a new problem

Spoiler :

It is saying certain leader files are incorrect.

17. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

18. alib

alib Chieftain

Hello All,

I have got a problem with the mod(not only with this mod but also with DUne Wars Revival)

When I launch the mod, I get hundreds of thousands xml error. I could take screenshots for only 3 of them. You can see below.

So what I have done to cure this problem and didn't work is:

-Opened the launcher as Admin
    -Opened the launcher as in Windows 8/Vista
    -Have also done upper steps for vanilla game launcher then loaded the mod.
    -I reinstalled in different locations, Btw, mine is steam version, I have also tried with CD version(with all patchs done), but still get same error.
    -downloaded your mod both from sourceforge and svn
    -And many others that I may have forgotten

So the mods that I want to play most is unplayable for me, I am dying to play them but no luck. If you have anything to recommend, I would gladly appreciate it. The default mods can be playable and also Conflict in Chiron and fyi, my rig is good enough for this game(windows 8 also).

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      105.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      88.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      92.9 KB
      Views:
  19. black_imperator

black_imperator Emperor

a quick search gave me this old thread : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=132992

What i gather from this is that you use a language where the default decimal symbol is not . but something else. Since it only appears in a mod, i assume your civ 4 installation is correct for your language. From what i can gather, the only way to fix it is to change all mentions of . in the xml file to whatever your symbol is, which might not be very practical. I'll see if i can find another way. In the meantime, if you could give me the symbol you're using, that'd help

20. alib

alib Chieftain

So if I can change it in control panel, I could make it work? I will try right off the bat and if it works you deserve a big hug :D. Btw, I am using "," for "." .

Edit: You sir, are a great man . Even I get like 4 or five error, I was able to play the mod, hoorrayy.