Final Fixes Reborn

Good day! I have a duplicating sluga error desciption for you. So:
1 - i have some sluga units (3 in my tests) under command of overseer, before my overseer gets "skilled overseer 3" promotion i can freely enter and exit cities with this party
2 - when overseer gets "skilled overseer 3" promotion bugs appear, when any sluga under his command enters city, he is looses command connection (tryed it with overseer in or out the city or moving to the city with sluga)
3 - when overseer gets "skilled overseer 5" promotion sluga entering city is duplicted and looses connection
Summary: i'm pretty sure the deal is about +1hammer(3lvl prom) and +1another hammer(5lvl prom), and i guess there is no loosing connection just killing and creating new sluga unit (or two of them). I hope it will help

I know I posted on this a while ago here, but just another plea to please consider doing something about the Infernal World Spell. In my latest game they cast Hyborem's Whisper and took one of my cities, in the heart of my empire, far away from their own territory, and so impossible for them to defend. I demanded Hyborem liberate the city, which he did. World spell wasted, and the only effect on me was that I had to rebuild several buildings in the city that had changed hands.

As I've said before, my main objection to this spell is that unlike such spells as Stasis or Arcane Lacuna, Hyborem's Whisper targets only a single opponent, so seems unfair in that way.

You don't have to go with the idea that in the linked post -- which, to be clear, was not my idea originally, but one that Krieger66 suggested and to which Valkrionn suggested a modification -- but I hope you'll do something.

]For mechanos, i need to immerse myself deeper in their pedia ( them along with scions and mekara are the civs i know the less).

The Mechanos probably need a lore rewrite in a few places. As written, they're aggressively atheist steampunk craftsman spliced with what are literally just techpriests from Warhammer 40k. They can awaken "machine spirits" in some of their tech that are also from Warhammer 40k, although I think there's something (might just be a random post I read once) about trying to base it off of Barnaxus. My dream would be for the Mechanos and Dural to become one civilization with new lore and less Warhammer, but failing that they could use a lore-friendly revision.

The Scions have a really huge amount of stuff written for them, but the cliffnotes version is that they are a race of intelligent undead from Patria-that-Was who have been sleeping in Cerwiden?'s vault and whiling their time away with bizarre and alien pleasures. They're lured into the world by luxuries and curiosity and seek to build a new empire free from death and sickness. All their stuff looks evil, but they're not evil, just really weird, and they're sincere about their offer for anyone to join them and become like them. You just have to give up your humanity. Or elfanity or whatever. Their leader, the Risen Emperor, is actually somebody's archangel pretending to be somebody else's archangel pretending to be the emperor of Patria Reborn playing this very complex multi-layered long game for the good of Erebus. He's collecting souls and wants to free a bunch of them from I think Arawn's vault, which is what your worldspell, the Breach does. He administrates a fake religion as part of his plan, using it as a metaphysical tool to gather souls away from Arawn and from the fallen gods.

Korinna is bae a girl with a special semi-daughter relationship with the Risen Emperor and serves as a rallying point for the people, who adore her because she is so adorable. If the Risen Emperor leads, she's the civ hero and can evolve herself through various processes (RIFE does not include her White Lady transformation, which makes her arcane and stuff). If she leads, she's religiously open (she's not indoctrinated and serves out of personal loyalty) and the Risen Emperor becomes a lategame hero.

Ophelia can lead a ton of civs, based on where she emerges from Hell. She's one of the Bannor who were left behind. If she leads the Scions, she decides to accept the Gift and become undead. She also takes up the Emperor's Cult, presumably as a screw-you to Sabathiel.

The whole story is spread across four sections in the 'pedia, the Bright Lands stuff, and it's really well-written, but it's a long read.

The Mekara are a group of three transhumanists with a ton of magic power and some links to the Amurites and I think the D'teshi who want to make superhumans and master the arcane because hey, why not. Their major leader is amoral, focused on the creation and use of sluga (essentially a lifeform created to be a slave) and arcane ascension. Iram is a healer and bleeding-heart utilitarian who wants to make people superior so they won't get sick and live fuller, longer lives; he gets the militia units because the people love him.

Zaria Scheras is odd in that her position in society is sort of mercenary. She's a vampire and her special thing is vampires, and also being crazy good at medicine and caretaking society, but it's part of a scheme to eat people, but they don't do it like the Calabim do (hence why they used to have the Lifedrinker promotion and not Vampirism). She does arguably the most good for society through her Caretaker vampires and their surprisingly efficient hospitals (dat health bonus) but also definitely cares the least about anyone in it.

Good day! I have a duplicating sluga error desciption for you. So:
1 - i have some sluga units (3 in my tests) under command of overseer, before my overseer gets "skilled overseer 3" promotion i can freely enter and exit cities with this party
2 - when overseer gets "skilled overseer 3" promotion bugs appear, when any sluga under his command enters city, he is looses command connection (tryed it with overseer in or out the city or moving to the city with sluga)
3 - when overseer gets "skilled overseer 5" promotion sluga entering city is duplicted and looses connection
Summary: i'm pretty sure the deal is about +1hammer(3lvl prom) and +1another hammer(5lvl prom), and i guess there is no loosing connection just killing and creating new sluga unit (or two of them). I hope it will help

I'm looking into it but i'm currently completely stumped on it, there doesn't seem to be any specific xml to that promotion, and i cannot find it referenced in python, so i have no idea what's happening here yet.

I know I posted on this a while ago here, but just another plea to please consider doing something about the Infernal World Spell. In my latest game they cast Hyborem's Whisper and took one of my cities, in the heart of my empire, far away from their own territory, and so impossible for them to defend. I demanded Hyborem liberate the city, which he did. World spell wasted, and the only effect on me was that I had to rebuild several buildings in the city that had changed hands.

As I've said before, my main objection to this spell is that unlike such spells as Stasis or Arcane Lacuna, Hyborem's Whisper targets only a single opponent, so seems unfair in that way.

You don't have to go with the idea that in the linked post -- which, to be clear, was not my idea originally, but one that Krieger66 suggested and to which Valkrionn suggested a modification -- but I hope you'll do something.

The Mechanos probably need a lore rewrite in a few places. As written, they're aggressively atheist steampunk craftsman spliced with what are literally just techpriests from Warhammer 40k. They can awaken "machine spirits" in some of their tech that are also from Warhammer 40k, although I think there's something (might just be a random post I read once) about trying to base it off of Barnaxus. My dream would be for the Mechanos and Dural to become one civilization with new lore and less Warhammer, but failing that they could use a lore-friendly revision.
That merge is unlikely to happen. I don't really want to merge civs that have distinct identities (or distinct potential). The one merge that happened in Rife was the Kahdi (currently Kahd is unplayable, but i think he'll make a very fine emergent leader ^^). Only one i couldpossibly consider at the moment is the frozen. The dural (among other civs) had consequent design discussion done on them in the late days of Rife, and there plenty to salvage from those.

The Scions have a really huge amount of stuff written for them, but the cliffnotes version is that they are a race of intelligent undead from Patria-that-Was who have been sleeping in Cerwiden?'s vault and whiling their time away with bizarre and alien pleasures. They're lured into the world by luxuries and curiosity and seek to build a new empire free from death and sickness. All their stuff looks evil, but they're not evil, just really weird, and they're sincere about their offer for anyone to join them and become like them. You just have to give up your humanity. Or elfanity or whatever. Their leader, the Risen Emperor, is actually somebody's archangel pretending to be somebody else's archangel pretending to be the emperor of Patria Reborn playing this very complex multi-layered long game for the good of Erebus. He's collecting souls and wants to free a bunch of them from I think Arawn's vault, which is what your worldspell, the Breach does. He administrates a fake religion as part of his plan, using it as a metaphysical tool to gather souls away from Arawn and from the fallen gods.

Korinna is bae a girl with a special semi-daughter relationship with the Risen Emperor and serves as a rallying point for the people, who adore her because she is so adorable. If the Risen Emperor leads, she's the civ hero and can evolve herself through various processes (RIFE does not include her White Lady transformation, which makes her arcane and stuff). If she leads, she's religiously open (she's not indoctrinated and serves out of personal loyalty) and the Risen Emperor becomes a lategame hero.

Ophelia can lead a ton of civs, based on where she emerges from Hell. She's one of the Bannor who were left behind. If she leads the Scions, she decides to accept the Gift and become undead. She also takes up the Emperor's Cult, presumably as a screw-you to Sabathiel.

The whole story is spread across four sections in the 'pedia, the Bright Lands stuff, and it's really well-written, but it's a long read.

The Mekara are a group of three transhumanists with a ton of magic power and some links to the Amurites and I think the D'teshi who want to make superhumans and master the arcane because hey, why not. Their major leader is amoral, focused on the creation and use of sluga (essentially a lifeform created to be a slave) and arcane ascension. Iram is a healer and bleeding-heart utilitarian who wants to make people superior so they won't get sick and live fuller, longer lives; he gets the militia units because the people love him.

Zaria Scheras is odd in that her position in society is sort of mercenary. She's a vampire and her special thing is vampires, and also being crazy good at medicine and caretaking society, but it's part of a scheme to eat people, but they don't do it like the Calabim do (hence why they used to have the Lifedrinker promotion and not Vampirism). She does arguably the most good for society through her Caretaker vampires and their surprisingly efficient hospitals (dat health bonus) but also definitely cares the least about anyone in it.

Thanks for the sum-up, i'll read the full pedias when i get to working on them.

This is solution i used for Sluga Bug:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13423547&postcount=737

Mechanos have good concept behind them - society determined to survive in magical world without magic, not by gifts of gods, but by creativity, curiosity, courage and strength of men. Unlike Grigori, who are atheist pacifists, Mechanos are atheist militants, seeking to endure through guns and tanks. There is also great uto/systopian aspect - yes, they crush demons with cannons, but thier whole nation is dedicated to their idea - much like Bannor, they live only to serve their nation, working all day long in factories or holding lines agaist supernatural enemies.
Their machine spirit aspect is like a "hidden skeleton" - their fiercly atheistic society was built around this magical beings originated from Barnaxus frustrations. So, Mechanos revere some sort of vengeful sparks of Nantosuelta. Surely, machine spirits also want to end god's rule over nations of Erebus, but Techpriests are hypocrites nonetheless.

So, Mechanos, while obviously similar to Warhammer 40K Adeptus Mechanicus in many aspects, fit Erebus universe quite well IMO. There is no need in merging/removing/entirely reworking them.

Zaria is former leader of the lands which now belong to Mekara Order. And she is some strange sort vampire who don't revel in killing people. Instead, she uses her caretakers to make her people love her (it isn't that hard to win love of Calabim people, who are usually ruthlessly opressed and turned into walking blood storages by their masters), and spebds her eternal life in hedonistic excesses. So she don't care about Mekara or Calabim, she just seeks personal pleasure.

No, this is solution for infinite war sluga spawning (despite, i dont trust it much because if there is some code it is needed for something, not a good idea just comment it. I dont know what i could break doing it)

I've described different bug.
It solves bug 2 you described (disconnection from skilled overseer 3).

So, Mechanos, while obviously similar to Warhammer 40K Adeptus Mechanicus in many aspects, fit Erebus universe quite well IMO. There is no need in merging/removing/entirely reworking them.

I disagree. Their lore doesn't describe them the way you just did (which is awesome) and it's just overall not written terribly well. I think at the least they need their lore gutted and rewritten to actually conform to Erebus to go along the lines you're describing, but it does mean rewriting. Right now they really are atheism! + steampunk + Adeptus Mechanicus in a way that makes them feel more like alien invaders than a part of the setting.

The question of whether Erebus needed automatic weapons and steampunk robot cannon-fortresses was already a delicate enough balance without straight copy-pasting the Adeptus Mechanicus. They have interesting mechanics, even if they probably have too many heroes and too overwhelming a lategame, but their lore is probably the worst out of any civilization.

The Mekara are a group of three transhumanists with a ton of magic power and some links to the Amurites and I think the D'teshi who want to make superhumans and master the arcane because hey, why not.

D'tesh and the Mekara share a backstory - they came from the same group of Amurite mages, but D'tesh ended up leaving and screwing them over once he got the gem of death. The rest of them got exiled or killed, with the survivors eventually becoming Mekara. Both sides are still a bit bitter about the whole thing.

Thanks for the sum-up, i'll read the full pedias when i get to working on them.

If you want input on the Mekara, feel free to ask in IRC - I still have the notes from when I was making them, and I can probably help brainstorm if you want.

Zaria is former leader of the lands which now belong to Mekara Order. And she is some strange sort vampire who don't revel in killing people. Instead, she uses her caretakers to make her people love her (it isn't that hard to win love of Calabim people, who are usually ruthlessly opressed and turned into walking blood storages by their masters), and spebds her eternal life in hedonistic excesses. So she don't care about Mekara or Calabim, she just seeks personal pleasure.
Oh, she revels in it. Just not in public.

Incidentally, she's not the Emergent leader of the Mekara (or wasn't supposed to be) - Iram is. Limitations at the time I made them, and so on.

I disagree. Their lore doesn't describe them the way you just did (which is awesome) and it's just overall not written terribly well. I think at the least they need their lore gutted and rewritten to actually conform to Erebus to go along the lines you're describing, but it does mean rewriting. Right now they really are atheism! + steampunk + Adeptus Mechanicus in a way that makes them feel more like alien invaders than a part of the setting.

The question of whether Erebus needed automatic weapons and steampunk robot cannon-fortresses was already a delicate enough balance without straight copy-pasting the Adeptus Mechanicus. They have interesting mechanics, even if they probably have too many heroes and too overwhelming a lategame, but their lore is probably the worst out of any civilization.

I would argue (and have in the past) that they shouldn't be there at all. At least not in the Age of Rebirth. But yeah, pet projects tend to get strange (also part of why the Mekara are a weird mechanically - most of it was me wanting to experiment with a lot of different things, and for some reason bringing them all together in one civ).

If your looking for various civ's lore, this might help. It's not all RiFE cannon, but pretty much all of RiFE's stuff is covered IIRC.

EDIT:
On the Mechanos, I think they fit in reasonably well if they're whole lore is taken into account. I do think their playstyle is a little scattered though. In my personal version, I've moved the Handgunner to be a Champion replacement, blocked them from researching KoTE, changed Steam Power's prereq from KoTE to Smelting, and moved or removed the Techpriest abilites. Overall, I've found it gives them a more focused direction. Also, researching the magic techs always felt wrong.

Attachments

• TALES FROM EREBUS.zip
    451.3 KB · Views: 285
No specific date yet for a main release, the objective was to have 10 emergent leaders ready for next release. We're at seven so far ( Corane, Gaius, Lorelei, Mordmorgan, Naxus, Reorx, Yakut) with two more in the making ( Gimil, Hafgan).

for a svn release, it should be tonight, i'm tweaking a bit of AI i imported from Tholal's first.

Turn 173, "failed to compress save data." Brief googling suggests that these errors may or may not occur when read and write functions, by some arcane method, become disordered.

yeah, i've noticed it pops us randomly (which means it isn't a basic read and write error, it's something worse to catch). Haven't been able to replicate it properly yet. Can you give me the last auto-save that worked for that game ?

Edit: Commited the new version, the sluga bug and the ai not building mana nodes should be fixed. also some work done on hafgan, not finished yet though, i need to go through his triggers next.

I've been trying to get this running for the past week, though I haven't had much luck. Tried both the 14.11 full version and the current SVN revision, on a Steam copy of Civ 4: BTS. Directories are correct, and attempted to use both the non-beta patch and the beta patch to no avail. It just keeps popping up the usual BTS menu + civs and other data with "Ashes of Erebus" in the upper-right corner. Also tried both loading through the launcher and through BTS main and then loading the mod from there: no luck.

Strangely enough, Master of Mana works, so I don't know what's up. Any advice?

Does anyone else not have the mana menu on the left and half the icons (health, birthrate,etc) not functioning?

I've been trying to get this running for the past week, though I haven't had much luck. Tried both the 14.11 full version and the current SVN revision, on a Steam copy of Civ 4: BTS. Directories are correct, and attempted to use both the non-beta patch and the beta patch to no avail. It just keeps popping up the usual BTS menu + civs and other data with "Ashes of Erebus" in the upper-right corner. Also tried both loading through the launcher and through BTS main and then loading the mod from there: no luck.

Strangely enough, Master of Mana works, so I don't know what's up. Any advice?

Sounds like you have one folder too many in the folder hierarchy.

In Beyond the Sword/Mods, you should have an Ashes of Erebus folder and directly in that one the Assets folder. I imagine you have an intermediate folder at this point somehow.

Does anyone else not have the mana menu on the left and half the icons (health, birthrate,etc) not functioning?
Haven't seen that happening yet, can you get me a few screenshots ?

Sounds like you have one folder too many in the folder hierarchy.

In Beyond the Sword/Mods, you should have an Ashes of Erebus folder and directly in that one the Assets folder. I imagine you have an intermediate folder at this point somehow.

Nah man, first thing I checked when I got back into FFH. It's Sid Meier's Civ 4 Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Ashes from Erebus, just like Master of Mana is in Sid Meier's Civ 4 Beyond the Sword/Beyond the Sword/Mods/Master of Mana.

Top Bottom