Final Fixes Reborn

those are map options, i don't really know the specifics, but to my knowledge Advanced Terrains is an improved terrain generator, but a bit heavy. As for Smart Climate, it updates the map to have reasonable climate areas

didn't check yet, i needed to know what version of the game you were playing ^^.
(the svn is the beta version where we're doing ongoing development, the link you gave is the normal download that we release occasionally)

in your civ4_config file ( which you can find in the Beyond the Sword folder), try changing hide python exceptions from 1 to 0, that'll show us if there's an actual python issue hidden behind those problems.

Ok, did that and yes, there are a whole bunch of errors. I'm going to try updating the SVN to see if that helps at all, but here's a shot of the errors it threw up.

Updating it didn't fix it, but I deleted the folder and redownloaded and that did the trick. I think it might have been one of two things (perhaps both). First time I downloaded it to the My Docs/my games/beyond the sword/mods folder, then moved it over to the Steam folder once I realised that didn't work. Also, I didn't download the C++ stuff for programmers as per the instructions the first time. This time I did the SVN download straight to the Steam folder with the C++.

I spoke too soon... started a game, everything was working fine, then all of a sudden started getting this error every turn:

The game worked perfectly fine up until this started happening (around turn 64), but now I'm getting all sorts of problems. Awakened can't join cities again, and diplomacy boxes are empty, as in there are no words and can't select or do anything other than hit escape.

If you could improve the Mekara's helpbook, it would be helpful...

in perticular in the requirement and uses of the overlords spells.

example of civopedia improvements:
-stoneskin is exclusive to regeneration skin, the battle overlord needs access to earth mana to buy the promotion (this information is not present anywhere... I had to guess)
-maelstorm needs access to air mana.. when casted, it also attacks the tile the caster are on (This behaves differently than normal maelstorm : AirII : so it might be a bug)
-regeneration needs access to body. (what does it does ?)
-for augmentations it is best to focus on one of the two mana types
-spring needing access to elemental magic tech is already in the pedia. However it would be interesting to say that spring enables to upgrade to prairie and to marsh.... I thought it worked like normal scorch and I discovered that by chance...
-same; scorch enables to create floodplains near rivers.
-Bloom sucks (cannot be casted on improvement) : it is the weakest of the promotions for Overlords : I bought it twice before understanding its lack of interest.
-sluga strategic tips say they are able to make Yaranga... which is not true: it should be removed.
-Overlords get "xp/per-turn", so having some sluga in command increases this a bit ; however battle Overlords and their improvement don't get xp-per-turn so having battle sluga in command doesn't give free xp... even if having battle sluga in command gives a promotion "improves free xp by +1) (This might be a bug)

Improvements of the civ:
-Battle sluga give very few xp back to their Overlord... IMO it should be increased : ranged sluga give some xp to overlord without risk for themselves: it is low, but ok + the overlord can mop up the ennemy and get xp. however maelstrom focused sluga don't get much way to give xp to the overlord. and melee-focused sluga don't give much xp to overlord, and don't weaken units.. so this is the worst.
-Battle sluga, and more importantly OVERLORDS don't get the slaver promotion even if the slave pen is supposed to give "slaver" to all units built in city : they don't make slaves !!!!!!!! (This might be a bug)

so using Overlords to kill is a choice: get xp in place of a slave ?
so using slugas to kill is a loss as it doesn't give much xp... and don't give slaves.

moddifications of the Augmentation spell :
-maybe you could make the units have a specific augmentation promotion ? (for the +2/0 or 0/+2 .. ) so we could see easily the type of augmentation one have.
-maybe augmentation could be re-casted on a unit with augmentation of a same type (for example when a more proefficient caster comes by : a caster with body2 and 5 body nodes is supposedly giving more benefits to the augmented unit than a caster without body mana sphere and only 3 nodes... it would be nice to be able to re-cast on a previously augmented... to "improve"

I have a question on "slave trade" resolution of the undercouncil: what does it does ?
I got it, but couldn't buy slaves units in my cities... do I need slavery to be able to ?

I am still having no end of troubles... it seems to have fixed that XML error, but now my UI has entirely disappeared!

Just to test it out, I tried reverting to the normal Steam version, and that brought back the UI, but of course I had the missing mana icons problem. So I went back to the original release patch, tried to load, but the game crashed. Tried to start a new game with Play Now, but it still crashes. I've uploaded a zip of my error logs here, and if you look in the XML log, there are a bunch of missing XMLs. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Edit: In my process of elimination, I just decided to try getting Steam to run as admin. I started up a new game with success, and the UI was back, but the python errors were along with it, and once again I am getting errors such as not being able to join Awakened to the city, and Korrina the Protector not spawning. I have reuploaded the error logs as they now contain the python errors.

just so you know I've had issues sometimes with a few savegames:
one time the UI disappeared, one time I couldn't get events...etc
(I had xml expections when loading)

but loading an auto-save of a turn or 2 before cleared the issue

New update on the diplomacy front.

As an important leader I can enter into diplomacy with other historical leaders. Once I become a historical leader I can no longer do diplomacy. This in addition to being unable to do diplomacy with important/emergent leaders as a historical leader.

I just had a thought... could I be having this problem because I'm not using the launcher? It doesn't seem to work with the Steam version. When attempting to use it, it just says app launch failed. Though it only has that problem when using the original release patch. I am starting to think that your mod might just be incompatible with Steam...

I just had a thought... could I be having this problem because I'm not using the launcher? It doesn't seem to work with the Steam version. When attempting to use it, it just says app launch failed. Though it only has that problem when using the original release patch. I am starting to think that your mod might just be incompatible with Steam...

I'm running it with Steam. Have you tried rolling back BTS to the original release version in the Betas tab?

Xanthippus, the mod does work with Steam but the 3.19 Steam beta for BtS is absolutely required

your error might come from the fact that your game is installed in a write-protected area of the computer, which occasionally cause weird issues . Another possible cause could be a corrupt file from the download, for that delete the Assets folder and update the main folder to redownload it.

IanOakley, thanks for the report on diplomacy, hopefully that'll help me track it down.

Yesterday I managed to capture a Mammonth, and my surprise was that when I brought it to the city radius and upgraded to Mammonth Rider,
1) The Rider retained the button add "Elephant blood" from the Mammonth... Weird, I said, but imagined that probably there is always an option to eat your mammonth.
2) The Mammoth Rider obtained Worker buttons, still, it constructs no improvements. Just gets busy till the next turn and that it is. =) A bug?

So I got so tired of the "Build road" button on the Rider, that I had him eaten via first option :D

Yesterday I managed to capture a Mammonth, and my surprise was that when I brought it to the city radius and upgraded to Mammonth Rider,
1) The Rider retained the button add "Elephant blood" from the Mammonth... Weird, I said, but imagined that probably there is always an option to eat your mammonth.
2) The Mammoth Rider obtained Worker buttons, still, it constructs no improvements. Just gets busy till the next turn and that it is. =) A bug?

So I got so tired of the "Build road" button on the Rider, that I had him eaten via first option :D

You mean you didn't create a Mammoth Pen with it? The animal buildings are brilliant and really whack down the Mekara.

I have a series of bug reports. Started a new game (svn 227) after a play now to clear things up, and noticed things were a little wonky. First I kept getting an event to the effect of "Barbarians are at our gates, our armies have failed us, all is lost!" Over and over again. That, and any other events I got, rarely seemed to do anything. I also got the no diplomacy bug. I also can't seem to open any treasure chests, or at least not the ones dropped by Orthus and Zarcaz. (I kept playing, just to see how many bugs I could accrue)

I've had the events messing up bug happen a couple of times before. I forget which version, exactly, I first started getting it, but it was definitely this year, and I want to say within the past couple of months. (since I updated to Windows 10, in case that makes a difference) It always seems to start off with getting the Acheron's Chosen even right away, which does seem to work as intended. Events I've seen that don't work right include the "isolated village of elves" event, which displays the ignore them, welcome them home, and more petlings options, regardless of what civ or alignment I'm playing, and only the welcome them home option does anything. Also, the ancient warrior's tomb event, which never spawns a skeleton, and only the plus culture option does anything. The "husband's screams" event did absolutely nothing. I know there were one or two other events that showed up, but I can't remember them. I'd say 8 times out of 10 it was the "all is lost" event.

Save file for all this craziness: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxoH3Ywt3uljai00NHdzNk4xU1k/view?usp=sharing

For the record, I simply restarted civ 4, and started a new game, and all was well, but if I load up the save, the wonkyness continues.

Top Bottom