Firaxis at Pax East 2014 - Speculations?

They released that one during my console woes, I never really got into it nearly as much as the first three. But man, a non-flashy, civ-like RT/Railroads reboot with a tech tree would be the first game I'll ever pre-order.

That would probably make Julian Gollop sad. Please fix all the graphical glitches Enemy Within introduced first xD

That is/was aimed at Asian markets, not Western Nations.

Oh, I was never aware of that! I never took much interest in the announcement last year. It looks like you may be right.

Just did another quick search for "civilization online release date" instead of "civilization online" and some of the first links are:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/08/civilization-online-north-america/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/09/awww-civilization-online-korea-only-for-now/

Things could've changed since then, but it's probably not very likely. That's good. I wonder what else they're cooking up then and planning on teasing us with. :)

Yes, agreed. Probably at Pax East 2015. :D How about Alpha Centauri based on Civ 5 game engine?

I don't believe even Firaxis is that idiotic to do something that horrific. Of course, I've been wrong before, especially with 2K involved.

I won’t let myself even hope for SMAC, it’s about the only title I would happily pay full price for, early and often. I too would like Drakarska to explain his post!

I think he was bashing the Civ V game engine, which I actually rather like (the hex grid, etc.; not the AI or some of the game mechanics!)
However, the point's moot, as I believe there is very little chance of there ever being another SMAC due to copyright weirdness. Which sucks; from what I've heard it was a very good game!

@cpm4001, I agree with you that the point is moot, and I also like the V engine. SMAC was so good that it made it impossible for me to appreciate III and IV (until BtS).

I don't like the "engine" msotly because it's depanding graphic wise. And the AI, and everythign else can very easily be re-written for Civ 6.

I don't like the "engine" msotly because it's depanding graphic wise. And the AI, and everythign else can very easily be re-written for Civ 6.

It's very unlikely Civ6 will be less graphically demanding if they're still going after the casual player.

That said, I think the Jump from Civ4 level graphics to Civ5 was quite huge largely because Firaxis/Infogrames was able to get away with a repurposed SMAC engine for Civ3 in 2001 when other devs already had a full 3D engine (think Empire Earth released the same year) so Civ4 in 2005 already looked kind of dated even though it was a huge jump from Civ3 and their first fully 3D Civ game.

So I don't expect they need to jump as high again for Civ6, just polish up the rough edges in Civ5, and probably more detail in everything, with the option to turn it down.

What I am waiting for however (waiting to build my next rig) is how it will use the CPU. I think they'll go for best performance from the CPUs with most cores again. And in that case I'll probably want the best in class CPU when I start building it.

Top Bottom