[R&F] First Look: Georgia

Overall I expected something more complex in unique way to interact with Golden ages, but having Normal age dedication could be quite cool.
Bonus envoys to city-states which share major religion and bonus faith from protectorate wars means you can easily keep close ring of city-states under control and have to protect them. This part affects the city-state strategy significantly.
Unique Renaissance walls are generally not interesting, unless they are significantly cheaper. Also we don't know whether walls have any additional effects in R&F, for example to affect Loyalty.

But in all of depictions of her, she looks very pale
I believe the paintings, especially religious ones are a bit far from true. Knowing some people from Caucasian region, including Georgians, I could say they have quite different set of skin tones and the Civ6 Tamar is surely within range.

I feel bad saying this, but I do kinda feel like she should probably be a tiny bit lighter, yeah. Otherwise she seems fine.

The Civ bonuses aren't really doing a whole lot for me regardless though, but I'm still happy to see a cool new Civ.

Though from the ones I've seen, they're all based on the same original painting. And "Royal Portraits" or whatever seem to tend to portray people how they imagine they look not how they do look.

IDK, maybe I'm just not that picky but I think she looks good the way it is.
Paintings aside, Georgian people themselves (from my admittedly limited experience) tend to be on the pale side so the tanned skin seems a bit arbitrary.

Last edited:
But in all of depictions of her, she looks very pale
It’s not all about the skin tone. They might have overdone a bit in this regard, but the overall facial features check out. Compare her and Jadwiga.

I just thinked about something : with her bonuses, Tamar would not be able (or with great difficulty) to go from a golden age to a dark age. Only option, maybe, would be to go from NA to DA.
So it would be difficult for Tamar to go for heroic ages, wouldn't it? I mean, the only thing they said to justify the Dark Age mechanic was to be able to go to Heroic Ages, but it appears that it would be something really difficult for Tamar (well, more difficult than for other civs).

And I was expecting something different for the Ages mechanics. Don't get me wrong, it really good, I guess, but the the "very interresting way" the devs talked about...

The points required to get into a normal/golden age is dependant on the points you have at the start of your current age, so going from a golden age into a dark age is like going from a normal age into a dark age with another civ. However, typically it's hard to get into multiple golden ages in a row because you will have a source of era points less, but Tamar doesn't have this, so if you manage to keep a flow of era points going, you might even be able to string 7 golden ages together... I bet that's also the Georgia specific achievement.

updated the first post with the civ bonuses, will update the features thread in a moment

I can now understand why Australia's color change, because Georgia has White and Orange, the same colors Australia once had but flipped the other way.

Finally!!!! #FromMemetoCiv #TamarofGeorgiaConfirmed!!!

Although.... I'm kind of disappointed that the abilities are middle-of-the-road. The UU is very useful when you want to attack through hills. The envoy part of the LUA is very powerful... if you have the Diplomatic League, and when the first time that you've met a city-state they already have your religion.

The UA.... I just want to be sure: Dedications can be in Normal Ages as well as Golden Ages? It seems so when you read the UA description.

It's a good civ, not a great one, but... the memes! They come true!

Firaxis is not tanwashing civilizations (if that's the concern of some of you)...You can clearly see in the video that all her units are of the european ethnic variation...:gripe:

Bit underwhelmed of this civ`s unique traits. Walls are only somewhat usefull for half of your cities. From my experience at least. (if you are a human player)
Faith bonus without advantage to found a religion is not that great.

After all the hype and expectation, unfortunately, I am also underwhelmed. It definitely won't be the first civ I will play, but I will play it soon if only to see how Golden Ages flow.

Edit: I am actually looking forward to how mods improve her. That can be exciting.

I hope they shift Protectorate War CB back to the ancient era. Why would a CS want to ally with me if I can't help defend it?

Confirmed!

She’s much more curvy than I would have expected, and her skin seems too dark for a person from that region, but I’m definitely digging her crown and clothing. I was worried Tamar was going to end up nothing like she does in her paintings.

As for the civ itself, the UU looks pretty fun, and it’s nice to a see our first unique wall infrastructure, even if it is a little underwhelming. Her LA sounds quite interesting as well. We’ll have to see how good the UA ends up being though. If this is the female leader who interacts with the ages system that was talked about, it’s a little underwhelming.

I’d also agree that it would make more sense to have the UA and LA swapped.

Bit underwhelmed of this civ`s unique traits. Walls are only somewhat usefull for half of your cities. From my experience at least. (if you are a human player)
Faith bonus without advantage to found a religion is not that great.
I'm guessing the GAs are stronger than we think

I think it's pretty hard to judge how good this Civ is because we have no first hand experience with how powerful more frequent Golden Ages/avoiding Dark Ages will be. If that ends up being very powerful then maybe she will be, too.

Top Bottom