[R&F] First Look: Georgia

So, what's the next meme civ going to be?

I think we decided in the other thread it would be Vlad of Wallachia. He does fit the big personality criteria I guess (on top of being a fascinating character) but something tells me we are not going to see him being included anytime soon.

Love the aesthetics of this civ, lovely colors and uniques.
Also, here's Tamar:

I haven't posted on the other threads, but my album has been regularly updated! :p

Given the bonuses to Golden Ages, I think this will be the first civ I play as after getting R&F (depending on the last civs to be revealed), but her bonuses to Protectorate Wars seem really... situational? I don't remember I ever having a Protectorate War casus belli available in any of my games. It's true that I didn't play as much as I wanted to, but still, it's not one that has much use.

It won't necessarily be any harder to earn a Dark Age if you wanted to as Tamar.

Here are two ways how:
First, as people have mentioned, she has no bonus to help get into a Golden Age at the start. You could start off the game and go from Normal->Dark->Heroic->Golden...

Second, in a Golden Age she will select one Dedication: that Dedication gives her both the Golden Age bonus and the Normal Age Era Score boosters for that dedication. Again, if for some reason you wanted to go Normal->Golden->Dark->Heroic the key would be to pick a Golden Age Dedication where you don't actually plan on using the Normal Age Era Score boosters.

For example from the Video, the Monumentality Golden Age bonus is all about Builders and Settlers, while the Normal Age boost is Era Score reward for building Districts. They are both bonuses for peaceful play, but you could easily benefit from the GA bonus and still make sure to avoid the NA bonus if you wanted to. Hic Sunt Dracones is similar, where you could use the GA bonus and mostly avoid the NA Era Score boost.

It's really hard for me to picture it all without actually playing with the mechanic.

She's not that much darker than me and I'm as White European as you can get. I think it's a nice looking model.

Maybe you are not as white as it gets then, she is definitively too dark skinned to be even considered tanned. She would not even pass for a dark skinned southern Italian, she looks nothing like a European form her skin tone.

The model is fine but the skin tone is way too dark, it makes as much sense as a white Gandhi.

Hello just signed up to ask this, can the skin color be changed? Queen Tamar was not dark skinned or Indian skinned(No offense don't know what to call it other then that), she was caucasian (white) and I as a Georgian see this as an insult dedicated to all Georgians and I believe majority of Georgians will see it that way.

Queen Wilhelmina is not white depicted either

This is a strong Civ. Their only downside is that one of their abilities are strongly religion dependent and they gain no benefits towards founding a religion. Holy Sites and Apadama will be a priority in every game.

Once she gets the religion rolling, however, she's really strong. I love the double GA bonuses and the bonus envoys. The faith from renaissance walls isn't a game breaker, but it's a nice touch in combination with monarchy and the limes policy.

Civ ability is very situational. You have to find an enemy civ attacking your suzerain city state to get the bonus.

The faith doesn't really matter. It's a nice bonus, but what really matters is the extra envoy every time she sends one. This is really broken. (ie: it effectively doubles your envoys if you send them one at the time.) It allows Tamar to get huge benefits from city states and retain them. All she needs to do is get a majority religion and spread it to them. Have a warmongering AI declare war on one of your City State allies? Declare a protectorate War to save it. Failing that, well, hey, you at least got 10 turns worth of double faith out of it, use that to recruit more apostles/missionaries and gain another ally as you spread it elsewhere.

This is by far the best City State-related bonus in the game.

I wonder what her agenda would be - likes civs who don't compete on envoys? likes civs who don't have a certain percentage of hill terrain? likes civs who don't convert CS to a different religion? likes civs who build defensive structures? likes civs who manage to achieve a golden age?

It's hard to say, it can be tons.

Why she doesnt look like a European imo...

I was expecting Tamar to have a lighter skin tone. :p She reminds me of a Native American woman now.

But in all of depictions of her, she looks very pale

I feel bad saying this, but I do kinda feel like she should probably be a tiny bit lighter, yeah. Otherwise she seems fine.

Paintings aside, Georgian people themselves (from my admittedly limited experience) tend to be on the pale side so the tanned skin seems a bit arbitrary.

She’s much more curvy than I would have expected, and her skin seems too dark for a person from that region, but I’m definitely digging her crown and clothing. I was worried Tamar was going to end up nothing like she does in her paintings.

She looks darker than I expected but still awesome.

You guys all need to take a look at this map. It's very informative:

Spoiler :

Screenshot 2018-01-10 04.45.55.png

Yes...some Georgians and Armenians are lighter than the Muslim states around them; but they're still darker than Europeans. Kinda makes sense since they live in the Middle East! Modern Georgians are likely lighter than their ancestors too, as a result of Russian and Soviet domination. I think those who have said that Tamar was painted lighter than she was irl are likely accurate.

From the official civ article:

What makes an ideal monarch? Is it someone wise and diplomatic? A forward-thinking patron of the arts or a stalwart defender of the realm? Few live up to that standard, but you can count Tamar – ruler of Georgia at the height of its golden age – among them.

Born around 1160 (dates of her birth vary) to King George III and Queen Burdukhan, Tamar would be in for an early fight to keep her crown. The nobles of the court preferred her cousin, Prince Demna, to be next in line of succession and by the time she was 17, a minor rebellion broke out. Those nobles were summarily crushed by King George III.

Tamar was proclaimed heir and co-ruler by her father shortly after that rebellion. When George III died in 1184, Tamar assumed the throne of a fractured Georgia. Compromises needed to be made and Tamar was pressured into accepting the nobles’ choice for her husband: The Rus prince Yuri.

The two were wed in 1185, but the marriage didn’t last. Yuri led Georgian forces to victory in battle, but he was a coarse and unpleasant person, causing all sorts of problems for the royal court. So she filed to divorce him on grounds of drunkenness and immorality. This was monumental considering the era: the monarch of a fervently Christian nation, divorcing her husband and then receiving permission to re-marry from the church? That just didn’t happen back then.

As Tamar left Yuri, Georgia saw the greatest expansion of its domain begin. The Georgians fought against the neighboring Muslim sultanates, aided by exceptional generals (including the new king consort, David Soslan) and conquered them. Nearby kingdoms became vassals and protectorates. Georgian nobles stopped scheming, then began rallying to her banners. Georgians even founded the Empire of Trebizond, injecting themselves into the powers of the Middle East.

Tamar became the frequent target of marriage proposals after Yuri. After all, she was an eligible queen of a prosperous kingdom. One story tells of how the Sultan of Rum declared war on Georgia, stating he would have Tamar "as a Muslim bride or a Christian concubine." The diplomat sent to deliver this message was summarily punched in the face by a Georgian courtier.

Tamar, always pious, is said to have prayed at the cave city and monastery of Vardzia, then addressed her troops from the steps of the church. Inspired by her piety, the Georgians crushed the Sultan’s forces.

Tamar was also a strong patron of the arts. She bolstered trade and commerce, and minted coins bearing her monogram and titles. Laws were codified. Churches and cathedrals were built. Georgian culture developed as a strong and lively blend of Byzantine Christianity and Persian-inspired ideas.

Tamar is said to have died in 1213, but her grave remains a mystery. Some say she was buried in a monastery, to prevent desecration. Others claim her remains were secreted to the Holy Land, for burial near the Holy Sepulcher.

She came to power in a divided kingdom, and left it larger, more powerful, and sure of its cultural identity. She is canonized as a saint in the Eastern Orthodox faith, and a national symbol for Georgians even today.

UNIQUE UNIT: KHEVSURETI
The warriors from Georgia’s Khevsureti territory maintained their traditions for countless generations. (Until the early 20th Century, they continued to fight with weapons and armor more suited to medieval times.) These fierce Georgians dressed in chainmail and carried swords, axes, and small, black bucklers adorned with crosses for nighttime raids—due to the shield’s color, the warriors were practically invisible in the moonlight. It should come as no surprise that this warrior order gets a Combat Strength bonus, but they also suffer no movement penalties on hilly terrain. Though tradition was their watchword, they did adapt with the times, incorporating firearms as their importance on the battlefield became unmistakable.

UNIQUE STRUCTURE: TSIKHE
Sitting high over the countryside, situated in the hills and rocky cliffs, the Georgian fortresses – or tsikhe – stand guard. A tsikhe features high curtain walls with either rounded or triangular merlons (the solid part of the “cut outs” on the wall used as defensive structures).

The Georgian fortresses were particularly difficult to assault due to their position on the high ground. Unique to the Georgians, it raises the strength of your outer defenses to the highest level while at a lower production cost than Renaissance Walls.

Although this type of fortress existed during the time of Alexander the Great, the Georgians employed them effectively through the 17th Century. And even today, they are a big tourism draw. Once you advance to the Conservation Civic with Georgia, you will be able to benefit from that tourism as well.

UNIQUE LEADER ABILITY: GLORY OF THE WORLD, KINGDOM AND FAITH
Tamar can declare a Protectorate War after gaining the Theology Civic. Considering Tamar’s upbringing – and how she was known to inspire her troops before battle, they gain bonus Faith for a limited time after declaring a Protectorate War. In addition, Georgia gains bonuses as they continue to deliver the word of God. An Envoy sent to a city-state of your majority religion counts as two.

UNIQUE CIV ABILITY: STRENGTH IN UNITY
Out of a time of relative instability for Georgia, Tamar helped give purpose and unite her people. Honor her achievements through Pride Moments. When making a Dedication at the beginning of a Golden Age, receive its Normal Age bonus towards improving Era Score, in addition to its Golden Age bonus.

I think Tamar's agenda is going to be a variation of the City State Ally HA. Get a relations boost if you are allied to city states and treat them well (ie: initiate protectorate wars when they're invaded)

She and Barbarossa will be besties!

If you read the blog post on civilization.com for Tamar/Georgia, both abilities seem to draw more inspiration from Tamar than from Georgia. So despite Strength in Unity being the CUA, I think Tamar is the definitely the female leader who interacts with the Ages system.

I love the aesthetics of Georgia; the leaderhead looks great (I think her skin tone is fine - she's not that tan), the music sounds good, the colors are nice, as are the icon and unique models.

I think the 100% faith bonus could just as well extend to declaring war for any Casus Belli except for a surprise or formal war. Basically for any of the more advanced CB. Protectorate Wars seem too specific to make much use of that faith bonus.

I don't really understand Strength in Unity. Is it literally just extra points to help you ride into additional Golden Ages? That seems boring, but I can't tell how powerful that actually is.

I hope so. Not sure how this is going to work. GA for so far i have seen do have bonusses regarding to faith so it could potentially get crazy good. I do know firaxis will balance weaker civs at some point. So we will see how this plays out in the future.
Will play with Georgia at some point but it wont be the top half of new civs. (not because of regarding strenght of civ but more by appeal of unique traiths)

Yeah I guess I agree with that. Though I'd rather some more moderate Civs than continued power creep.

From the official civ article:

What makes an ideal monarch? Is it someone wise and diplomatic? A forward-thinking patron of the arts or a stalwart defender of the realm? Few live up to that standard, but you can count Tamar – ruler of Georgia at the height of its golden age – among them.

Born around 1160 (dates of her birth vary) to King George III and Queen Burdukhan, Tamar would be in for an early fight to keep her crown. The nobles of the court preferred her cousin, Prince Demna, to be next in line of succession and by the time she was 17, a minor rebellion broke out. Those nobles were summarily crushed by King George III.

Tamar was proclaimed heir and co-ruler by her father shortly after that rebellion. When George III died in 1184, Tamar assumed the throne of a fractured Georgia. Compromises needed to be made and Tamar was pressured into accepting the nobles’ choice for her husband: The Rus prince Yuri.

The two were wed in 1185, but the marriage didn’t last. Yuri led Georgian forces to victory in battle, but he was a coarse and unpleasant person, causing all sorts of problems for the royal court. So she filed to divorce him on grounds of drunkenness and immorality. This was monumental considering the era: the monarch of a fervently Christian nation, divorcing her husband and then receiving permission to re-marry from the church? That just didn’t happen back then.

As Tamar left Yuri, Georgia saw the greatest expansion of its domain begin. The Georgians fought against the neighboring Muslim sultanates, aided by exceptional generals (including the new king consort, David Soslan) and conquered them. Nearby kingdoms became vassals and protectorates. Georgian nobles stopped scheming, then began rallying to her banners. Georgians even founded the Empire of Trebizond, injecting themselves into the powers of the Middle East.

Tamar became the frequent target of marriage proposals after Yuri. After all, she was an eligible queen of a prosperous kingdom. One story tells of how the Sultan of Rum declared war on Georgia, stating he would have Tamar "as a Muslim bride or a Christian concubine." The diplomat sent to deliver this message was summarily punched in the face by a Georgian courtier.

Tamar, always pious, is said to have prayed at the cave city and monastery of Vardzia, then addressed her troops from the steps of the church. Inspired by her piety, the Georgians crushed the Sultan’s forces.

Tamar was also a strong patron of the arts. She bolstered trade and commerce, and minted coins bearing her monogram and titles. Laws were codified. Churches and cathedrals were built. Georgian culture developed as a strong and lively blend of Byzantine Christianity and Persian-inspired ideas.

Tamar is said to have died in 1213, but her grave remains a mystery. Some say she was buried in a monastery, to prevent desecration. Others claim her remains were secreted to the Holy Land, for burial near the Holy Sepulcher.

She came to power in a divided kingdom, and left it larger, more powerful, and sure of its cultural identity. She is canonized as a saint in the Eastern Orthodox faith, and a national symbol for Georgians even today.

UNIQUE UNIT: KHEVSURETI
The warriors from Georgia’s Khevsureti territory maintained their traditions for countless generations. (Until the early 20th Century, they continued to fight with weapons and armor more suited to medieval times.) These fierce Georgians dressed in chainmail and carried swords, axes, and small, black bucklers adorned with crosses for nighttime raids—due to the shield’s color, the warriors were practically invisible in the moonlight. It should come as no surprise that this warrior order gets a Combat Strength bonus, but they also suffer no movement penalties on hilly terrain. Though tradition was their watchword, they did adapt with the times, incorporating firearms as their importance on the battlefield became unmistakable.

UNIQUE STRUCTURE: TSIKHE
Sitting high over the countryside, situated in the hills and rocky cliffs, the Georgian fortresses – or tsikhe – stand guard. A tsikhe features high curtain walls with either rounded or triangular merlons (the solid part of the “cut outs” on the wall used as defensive structures).

The Georgian fortresses were particularly difficult to assault due to their position on the high ground. Unique to the Georgians, it raises the strength of your outer defenses to the highest level while at a lower production cost than Renaissance Walls.

Although this type of fortress existed during the time of Alexander the Great, the Georgians employed them effectively through the 17th Century. And even today, they are a big tourism draw. Once you advance to the Conservation Civic with Georgia, you will be able to benefit from that tourism as well.

UNIQUE LEADER ABILITY: GLORY OF THE WORLD, KINGDOM AND FAITH
Tamar can declare a Protectorate War after gaining the Theology Civic. Considering Tamar’s upbringing – and how she was known to inspire her troops before battle, they gain bonus Faith for a limited time after declaring a Protectorate War. In addition, Georgia gains bonuses as they continue to deliver the word of God. An Envoy sent to a city-state of your majority religion counts as two.

UNIQUE CIV ABILITY: STRENGTH IN UNITY
Out of a time of relative instability for Georgia, Tamar helped give purpose and unite her people. Honor her achievements through Pride Moments. When making a Dedication at the beginning of a Golden Age, receive its Normal Age bonus towards improving Era Score, in addition to its Golden Age bonus.

So is the Protectorate War at Theology for everyone now?

You guys all need to take a look at this map. It's very informative:

Yes...some Georgians and Armenians are lighter than the Muslim states around them; but they're still darker than Europeans. Kinda makes sense since they live in the Middle East! Modern Georgians are likely lighter than their ancestors too, as a result of Russian and Soviet domination. I think those who have said that Tamar was painted lighter than she was irl are likely accurate.

Yes, and very misleading, as there are plenty of lighter skinned cultures mixed in and around that area (note that neither Armenians, Iranians nor Palestinians are that darkly-complexioned). It's overly simplistic to say George is in the middle east, therefore it is the land of the "brown people." There's a lot of nuance, and comparing both contemporaneous depictions and current Georgians she stands out quite a bit.

So is the Protectorate War at Theology for everyone now?

I'd say so if it wasn't stated in her unique abilities in the first look video.

They moved a number of Casus Belli to earlier starts (Good riddance).

Top Bottom