Fixed borders mod for Rise of Mankind

Drat, I just came here to check on the status and maybe put a request in modmod request thread for Afforess to add it into his modmod- until I saw Afforess's post that is. :(

Oh well, I hope for you, dexy, that the surfing weather stays good! :)

Ah, you won't believe the luck you got. I hurt my foot very bad a few days ago, so I'll be stuck in the chair for some time (i.e. no surfing, hell, not even walking for now :mad:).

So I'm back in the game.... but... the game's changed a lot! I tried playing the new RoM 2.71 and 2.8beta...and bad news folks - I got crashes all the time. Plus the AI is so slow now that even with just 10-15 civs in the ancient era I wait ~1min for the turn. So basically this mod is not playable for me (and to create a mod I must be able to play at least).

Today I switched back to RoM 2.4 (yes, I have the old version!) and it runs smoothly.

I hope the new 2.8 will fix those problems as announced in many threads (RevDCM 2.6 should be the key), so I can 'upgrade' and mod it.

To conclude - wait a few more days for RevDCM 2.6, then a few more days for Zappara to include it in final RoM 2.8 and then a few more days for me to do my work. Yes, it's 3 x few more days, but I can't give you any better offer right now.

@dexy: sorry to read about your foot- that sucks! What did you do to it?

On the higher version getting heavier, what are your system's stats? I have thought of going back to an older version but I just like the new stuff too much, especially Afforess's changes.

@dexy: sorry to read about your foot- that sucks! What did you do to it?

Twisted ankle, 3rd level (the worst), while playing basketball. I have to use cruches even to go to the toilet. At least one more month of house arrest :mad:. But hey, that should be just about enough for a new mod version to be developed :)

On the higher version getting heavier, what are your system's stats? I have thought of going back to an older version but I just like the new stuff too much, especially Afforess's changes.

My sys is not that bad, DualCore 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 512MB graphics. But still, the AI is way too slow (compared to previous RoM versions). I also like the new stuff (yes, especially Afforess's changes), but the speed is just unbeareable. Hopefully all this will be fixed with the new RevDCM that will come out soon (they worked on the speed a lot).

Twisted ankle, 3rd level (the worst), while playing basketball. I have to use cruches even to go to the toilet. At least one more month of house arrest :mad:. But hey, that should be just about enough for a new mod version to be developed :)
Ouch! Did you tear any tendons? I did that back in high school when I was ~16 years old. It was really painful and sucked for school since I carried all my books in my book bag- I couldn't even remember my combination for my locker or even which locker I was assigned at school. :|

My sys is not that bad, DualCore 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, Radeon 512MB graphics. But still, the AI is way too slow (compared to previous RoM versions). I also like the new stuff (yes, especially Afforess's changes), but the speed is just unbeareable. Hopefully all this will be fixed with the new RevDCM that will come out soon (they worked on the speed a lot).
Sounds like the CPU might be what is a bit to slow- mine is 2.2 GHz and Windows Experience Index says that it rates 4.9 out of 10 and the next lowest rated item is my memory at 5.7 (4 GB of RAM). Have you tried playing on a Tiny(Duel) map? That might make the game playable at least for testing development. I personally like using Large maps but I start getting too many CTDs later in the game so I stick to Standard.

RevDCM is acknowledged as the slow point in the whole affair?

No. Go try RevDCM vanilla. It runs only a tad slower than BTS.

The real hog is all the extra units and buildings that RoM adds. It starts to eat up lots and lots of RAM and CPU for pathing finding, etc.

Ouch! Did you tear any tendons?

I guess so. I'm not an expert, but 3rd level should be about that. Luckily no bone fractures.

Sounds like the CPU might be what is a bit to slow

Yeah, the CPU and the slow mem. But to upgrade that I need to change my MB as well, and that's just too much just to be able to play RoM.

Have you tried playing on a Tiny(Duel) map? That might make the game playable at least for testing development. I personally like using Large maps but I start getting too many CTDs later in the game so I stick to Standard.

Yes, smaller maps and less civs make the thing faster and more "CTD-resistant". But I just love large maps and a lot of civs in the game; better to play a full old version than a new one like that.

Actually the BettarAI part of it. Good news is that they acknoledge that and they announced the fix in new version. They also merged in the CAR mod, which should give us around 15% additional speed.

I guess so. I'm not an expert, but 3rd level should be about that. Luckily no bone fractures.
Yeah, according to WebMD you did tear:
Grade III injuries involve the complete rupture of the ligament with immediate and severe swelling, ecchymosis, an inability to bear weight, and moderate-to-severe instability of the joint. Typically, patients cannot bear weight without experiencing incapacitating pain.
Yeah, the CPU and the slow mem. But to upgrade that I need to change my MB as well, and that's just too much just to be able to play RoM.
Money doesn't grow on trees, huh? :)
Yes, smaller maps and less civs make the thing faster and more "CTD-resistant". But I just love large maps and a lot of civs in the game; better to play a full old version than a new one like that.
I guess the play on my computer isn't as compromised and I can stand Standard maps. :)
Actually the BettarAI part of it. Good news is that they acknoledge that and they announced the fix in new version. They also merged in the CAR mod, which should give us around 15% additional speed.
Well, Afforess is already using CAR so I won't see anything, but having it already in RevDCM should be good. :) I have been thinking about doing the static buildings and other things to lower the weight in RoM. That should help too.

Twisted ankle, 3rd level (the worst), while playing basketball. I have to use cruches even to go to the toilet. At least one more month of house arrest . But hey, that should be just about enough for a new mod version to be developed
Ouch! Being a basketball player I have twisted my ankle many times so I know how it feels.:cry: I hope it does not take to long to heal. :)

Can't wait! Then I can't wait for Afforess to put it in his version 1.4.1 or whatever. ;)

Wonderful! But before I download, how is the python handled? Is it in the ini.XML config or what?

how is the python handled? Is it in the ini.XML config or what?

I avoid python coding as much as I can (I hate how much it slows down the game :mad:). So 99% of the mod is in the dll. There's only one small change in one of existing python files (RevUtils), no special config needed, just overwrite the old file and use whatever plain RoM uses for config.

I avoid python coding as much as I can (I hate how much it slows down the game :mad:). So 99% of the mod is in the dll. There's only one small change in one of existing python files (RevUtils), no special config needed, just overwrite the old file and use whatever plain RoM uses for config.

Okay... then is the DLL merged with afforess's SDK too or is it just your changes?

I think you should collaborate with Afforess to merge the two DLL's since his modmod pack has been declared essential by almost every RoM player, but your modmod is also essential (to me at least) so it would be wonderful if you get his current 1.4 SDK and merge them or if Afforess gets your source and merges them.

I think you should collaborate with Afforess to merge the two DLL's since his modmod pack has been declared essential by almost every RoM player, but your modmod is also essential (to me at least) so it would be wonderful if you get his current 1.4 SDK and merge them or if Afforess gets your source and merges them.

I guess it's not too hard for Afforess to include yours into his next beta installer?

Or you can have sources forwarded to Afforess for his AND modmodpack of most modmods created here so that he can merge in your changes to other SDK modmods :). Whatever makes you comfortable and I think Afforesss will be flexible about it as long as your changes are easily "turned off" if a player doesn't want your change in the pack Afforess is creating.

I guess it's not too hard for Afforess to include yours into his next beta installer?

Or you can have sources forwarded to Afforess for his AND modmodpack of most modmods created here so that he can merge in your changes to other SDK modmods :). Whatever makes you comfortable and I think Afforesss will be flexible about it as long as your changes are easily "turned off" if a player doesn't want your change in the pack Afforess is creating.

The merging of my mod should be easy now, I have every piece of my code surrounded with comments ("dexy - fixed borders mod", "start" and "end"). But for now, unfortunately, I don't support turning off fixed borders (and why would I, if it is the single component of the mod).

I'll talk to Afforess, if he's willing to use my mod, I can create new version that can be switchable (on / off) in the XML, so he can merge that.

BTW, all current C++ sources are included in the mod download.

Top Bottom