1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Foreign Policy: RealmsBeyond

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by talonschild, Jul 29, 2012.

1. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Awesome! I was hoping we could hear from some of our new RB members about what was going on over on your side of things.

Yeah, that city plant... I was PISSED! I don't remember what came first, Starfall or your refusal to help us during the Spanish war (and I think you even helped the Spaniards? Can't remember exactly). But between those two things, our fate was pretty much sealed.

Well, we were the two best teams going into the game, and the first two teams we each met, and direct neighbors, so I do think it made sense that we focused on each other more than anyone else. But all the pre-game drama (both at RB and over here on CFC) probably did color that focus in a more negative light than it could have.

What?!?! Come on, man. Team CFC is totally going to win this thing!

:D

Wow, can't even imagine the amount of work and effort that took. Very impressive!

I think a really strong point about our team is that we've been encouraging input from everyone throughout. I know that I felt very comfortable jumping right in with my thoughts and opinions, even though I was brand new to CFC at the time.

2. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

FWIW, I'd be interested in hearing the rationale behind declaring CFC out of the running.

Might I express my admiration at that truly magnificent microplanning. And welcome aboard. Now that all y'all are here, I'm realizing just how much we could've benefited from your input throughout... Well, here's hoping y'all plan on joining in for the remainder.

3. vranasm

vranasm Deity

heh nice comments...

I have to say that RB clearly run best MM plan and I think it served as a point of their doom.

In our team there was a lot of .... discussion about early 40 turns where we could have been much better off with quicker setup, but the team wanted slower approach and as it turns out it served us reasonably well that we were not the target of the big dogpile but team RB was.

I think that in MP the most important thing is not to paint big red cross on yourself with good micro in cities :).

4. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

I disagree. I think we just had poor diplo. Not that scooter did a bad job, but that he had to represent an extremely varied set of opinions which were inconsistent with one another and included a lot of meanness and snobbery. With strong, consistent diplo there wouldn't be a problem.

5. talonschild

Aye, most of the sacrifices we made were aimed at more concrete long-term gain - the placement of our capital, for instance. I thought so, anyhow.

6. scooter

scooter Prince

Part of what was so difficult was that it's really important that your diplomacy and your strategic plans are cohesive, which I don't think we ever really had. Our strategic plan was to make the choice that most pissed someone off (settling Starfall, settling Brick by Brick, taking every German city as quickly as possible, etc.). My job basically turned into fallout management half the time which was not really what I expected going into it. I don't think that's a completely invalid strategy if you can genuinely use those moves to run away with the game, but our lead wasn't nearly big enough to justify that type of decision making. Our in-game play pretty much dictated that our diplo focus was to delay a dogpile until it was too late rather than being able to focus on finding a strong ally - because who wants to ally with someone who claims way more land than expected and pretty much refuses to try to make up the difference. (Also, the refusal of CivFr to do so much as reply to our emails pretty drastically changed things.)

Also, like I've said before, I think our best move probably was to work with CFC to divide up the world, but with the general distrust between the two teams, I'm not convinced at all there's a way that was ever going to work.

Sorry I didn't mean to make any premature predictions or even be a damper. Honestly I'm not completely up to date on the whole situation, so I could very well be wrong. That comment only came from the general feel I got from chatting to a few people that are more "in the know" than me that things were tough right now.

7. talonschild

Or it could be that I'm a fountain of boundless optimism.

8. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

Yeah.

This seems like a drawback of having a large team, and also a drawback of the only leader-like figure on your team having the diplomatic skills of a... having no diplomatic skills. As someone primarily on the micro side, it felt hopeless to try to coordinate micro actions diplomatically, because our foreign policy was heavily influenced by reactionaries (and people dismissive of diplomacy) so we had no moral standing on anything. Micro really should be subservient to foreign policy needs.