Free Speech Or Conspiracy To Commit A Terrorist Act?

Why do people think Facebook is a safe & private space?

The only safe way to pass information is face to face (assuming your place isn't bugged).

I never assumed it was a private space, but I used to use it like a blog / forum where I originally vented loads of anti religion crap. Then I read about loads of new hate speech laws, and police snooping of facebook ages ago too and deleted it all and now I only use facebook to visit interest websites or to sign up for offers.

I wonder what would happen if the police saw all my 'nuke the world' posts on a forum for a game where you can nuke the world ...

I'm sure Id still be accused of terrorism because brown and beard.

But the solution to this is very simple:

1) I want to nuke the world
2) But I have no nukes!
3) So don't give me any nukes and nothing will be nuked.

Simples.

... Unless I'm also secretly conspiring to acquire 9001 nukes.

It is just yet another derail attempt he seems to find so amusing.

A search warrant is typically required to gain access to a Facebook page to help solve a crime, even murder. AFAIK the only real exception to this is if they scream "terrorist", as though it were a bad horror flick and they were the pod people. That is the issue we are discussing here.

Am I reading this right? This is people having parties in their own homes, and the police are looking out for these all the time? That sounds mad, both as an intrusion of privacy and waste of police time. Or does this mean something other than a few people meeting up in a house to have fun, which sometimes get a bit messy / heated?

Raids on house parties are a classic example of police departments trying to find ways to raise money. Same goes with speed traps on highways and street light cameras. Particularly small towns that have small budgets, this is a large revenue stream. So technically these police departments don't see it as a waste of time, but rather a necessity. They make more money of busting middle to upper class citizens for misdemeanors than they do going after more complicated, time consuming, and complex cases. It's their version of diversification.

I am not saying it is right, it's just the reality of it.

It is just yet another derail attempt he seems to find so amusing.

A search warrant is typically required to gain access to a Facebook page to help solve a crime, even murder. AFAIK the only real exception to this is if they scream "terrorist", as though it were a bad horror flick and they were the pod people. That is the issue we are discussing here.

It's easier to send a friend request than get a warrant.

It is also apparently illegal unless they are "suspected terrorists".

If they send the friend request as part of the investigation it is. If cops follow the encouraged behavior by creating Facebook persona accounts and befriending people in droves they don't have to send it as part of an investigation. It is a fair bet that anyone with at least forty Facebook friends has at least one cop in the mix.

They can read your texts & monitor your calls as well.
And track your credit card purchases.

And have sophisticated software to reverse correlate any anonymous meta data to specific individuals.

... Unless I'm also secretly conspiring to acquire 9001 nukes.
Just don't buy any fertilizer and you should be alright.

Are you a part. Of this program in any way? Or are you just that enamored with the idea with the police stalking you on Facebook? Especially with the way they decide what is arrest worthy.

If they send the friend request as part of the investigation it is. If cops follow the encouraged behavior by creating Facebook persona accounts and befriending people in droves they don't have to send it as part of an investigation. It is a fair bet that anyone with at least forty Facebook friends has at least one cop in the mix.
So you are saying that this is legal for them to do if these friends requests are sent randomly, which these certainly don't appear to be so? That the cops are now monitoring just about everybody on Facebook?

Source?

Top Bottom