1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Thunderfall, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Catharsis

Catharsis tasteful picture of a horse

Have you tried clicking the 'Postings' tab on your profile? There should be a list of recent posts, and then at the bottom in grey text there should be 'Find all threads by Birdjaguar'.

It works fine for me - however when I try to search for yours, I can only find threads you've created since 2010 for some reason (presumably you didn't decide to create your first thread 9 years after joining). So if the thread you're trying to find was created in the last 7 years it should work, if not... dunno :dunno:

Birdjaguar likes this.
  2. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Thanks. I did as you suggested and the results were only 60 threads. Clearly, it is missing many. The threads I'm looking for are not there. Did you see my "How to find a job (or not)" thread?

Hey admin, what's up with my thread creation history?

3. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

So did anyone take you up on your question about discussing the old Civilization board game? I used to play that with my SCA group (those of us who were into board games). I usually played Illyria, and even won once (my opponents were so busy trying to eliminate each other that they didn't notice me sneaking up the middle and getting a lot of really good advances cards. The final shot needed to win was slipping a Civil Disorder card in with the trade goods. My boyfriend was not happy to have a sudden situation happen he couldn't recover from, and my other opponent just sat there and beamed proudly that the student he'd mentored in strategy games (he didn't coach me in this game) had managed to pull this off.

I joined an online game of this a few years ago, but it was never finished. The host went MIA a couple of turns before the game was to have ended, so I have no idea how it would have turned out (I expected to come in dead last, as I rather overconfidently decided to play Crete - not a starting player for anyone who's a novice or rusty at it).

5. Catharsis

6. Birdjaguar

So I'd have to keep clicking back ten at a time to see all of them. Pretty poor programming.

Hmmm... I almost bumped that thread.

7. Valka D'Ur

Poor programming if you've started a lot of threads. There are some forums where I doubt I've even started 10 threads over the last 10 years.

I believe it was the same for vBulletin. Doing a search of your own posts or threads didn't bring them all up at once, as I recall.

8. Catharsis

When I search for 'Find all threads by Lefty Scaevola' on your profile, it brings up 24 threads only (going back to December 2011). Clicking 'Find older messages' brings up 4 more threads (going back to May 2010) but it doesn't give me the option to 'Find older messages' again, so 2010 is the furthest back I can go, still.

I can search for my own threads from the beginning. Can we perhaps only see the full scope of our own threads and not others'? I'd be interested to know if you can see Birdjaguar's threads from before 2010, or if any other users can see my threads from before 2010.

9. Valka D'Ur

I found this thread, dated February 18, 2007: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-forum-has-a-good-sense-of-irony.208057/

There are only two posts in it, yours and Ginger Ale's, about a Site Feedback question concerning Civ 4.

10. Catharsis

Okay that's my oldest thread, so you can see all of mine. I can only see yours going back to 2011. Can you see all of Birdjaguar's?

How about people who aren't in moderator or retired moderator usergroups, what do they see?

11. Valka D'Ur

The oldest one of his that I can see is January 16, 2011. Since I know he has a lot more than just that, I have no idea why this is. I wonder how far back other retired moderators could see of mine (not that I've started many threads overall; I would guess that most of mine are in Site Feedback and A&E). Of course now that we're retired, we can no longer see any threads we started in the staff forum, and those go back farther than 2011.

12. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

Search is finding 10 pages, 200 threads at a time, but not displaying threads to which you have no access. Most of my threads after I became a moderator were in the staff forums, thus you cannot see them.

I cannot see 8 of my last 200 threads (thus the 182 noted above) because they were in the admin forum to which I no longer have access.

13. Birdjaguar

I hadn't thought about the gaps in my thread history from when I was a moderator. I wonder how many threads I started in staff.

14. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Neurotic Panda

How often do the sites security certificates get renewed?
    Cause i'm getting "Security Certificate Expired" errors..

15. Valka D'Ur

Me, too. Very inconvenient when I'm trying to proofread a post before submitting it.

16. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

17. Valka D'Ur

Did the forum just disappear for a few minutes for anyone else? All I got (in mid-post) was the Home page, all distorted.

18. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

It was due to the SSL certificate expired.

I have renewed it for 3 years.

19. Takhisis

Takhisis Would-be overnight hero

*looks at the thread title*
    Is the expiration of the SSL certificate a frequent occurrence?

;)

20. Valka D'Ur

This is the catch-all thread for technical problems, I guess. :dunno:

Honestly, I think most of this thread is waaay out of date by now.

@Thunderfall: Thanks for letting us know.