Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This might not be the right thread for this, but can someone explain how to use the Xenforo tables? Specifically how to format the code so that you get actual headings rather than "column 1", "column 2", etc.

So say I want a table with 3 columns: name, age, nationality, so that it looks like this:

Name | Age | Nationality
John | 20 | American
Eric | 25 | British
Sam | 19 | Dutch

So that Name, Age, Nationality are at the very top - how would I format that?

Thanks! Now I'm just wishing the tables would display more compactly like they did with the old BBCode.

I tried to post a video file (*.mov) but I couldn't. What are the restrictions on videos and do I have to use an off site like? If so, which ones work best?

Did you try to post to the gallery or the main forum?
It may be because .mov is not one of the allowed file types.

You could try post it to YouTube and embed it here.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Why has the go to post tag not been reinstated yet? It's the only certain way to link to a certain post, especially with the moderators splitting off threads all the time which renders links invalid.

Why has the go to post tag not been reinstated yet? It's the only certain way to link to a certain post, especially with the moderators splitting off threads all the time which renders links invalid.
I'm not sure what's meant by a go to post tag. Please describe. Thanks.

I'm not sure what's meant by a go to post tag. Please describe. Thanks.
Not OP, but I think he means a tag that links to the post number itself rather than one that links to the post as part of its thread.

For example, the current link from the first post goes to https://forums.civfanatics.com/help/bb-codes but my quote of your post says that it is post number 15096955. Takhisis is saying he wants a tag that will link directly to post number NNNNN on this site regardless of where it is in the forum's folders and threads. If you ever visit Paradox Games's forum, they have a command that does that as part of their BB code.

See my signature. There is a currently broken link to post #8986072 (if I've coded it correctly, the link should be to the following address that links to the individual post:
Code:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/posts/8986072
)

It is similar to the <thread>tag, but with post numbers instead of thread numbers.

Edit: yes, I've coded it correctly.
<post>8986072</post> (replace with square brackets) should yield the above link.

Edit2: since we're at it, now that our site has attained the age of consent, can we have a facepalm smiley, eg. ?

Last edited:
Nnnno. It's a link to the post regardless of where the thread is.
For example, the link to the post you've just made (currently numbered as #3874 for this thread) is
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-faq.59454/page-194#post-15097748​
If the post is moved to a different thread then the link is broken. If, instead, I use
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/frequently-asked-questions-faq.59454/post/15097748​
then it will always link to that post regardless of what thread it is in. Seeing as we are using Xenforo, I am not sure what would happen if I linked to a hidden or deleted post.

(and yes, of course we should go back to vBulletin, but why we haven't done that yet is a separate insufficiently frequently asked question)

I am not sure what would happen if I linked to a hidden or deleted post.
Wouldn't you just get an error message if you tried following such a link? :dunno:

Hi! Sorry for the dumb question but the search did not bring anything specific up - is there a reason I am unable to upload a file in a conversation with another member? I do see the Upload A File button here in the "normal" forum, but not in the conversation ...
Thanks and best, Kathy

You usually need to have been registered for at least 5 days and have made at least 5 posts to upload files to a conversation. I changed your permissions to grant upload rights. Try it now - should be working.

Top Bottom