[FULL] Putmalk's Ancient World Discussion Thread

can i use this with mongol only?

No, the game will most likely crash because:

You cannot load the Babylon civ.
You cannot load the unit art for the Slinger.

Maybe if custom art comes out for the Slinger, I can remove the Spain/Inca requirement. Until then, though, it has to stay.

FouR Pharao, I updated the third post in the first page with all the requested icons, and I'll be updating that regularly as I see fit. This is so that you don't have to keep checking the second page, and I can update it for more to see easily.

Thank you so much for your work on the icons, I look forward to seeing more.

And I look forward to seeing some feedback on the mod, now that it is finally stable. :D

sukritact has done an icon for a Quinquereme for my upcoming mod, I'm sure it would be OK for you to use it as well, as long as sukritact agrees.

Would you happen to have a link to the image?

I really like the Quinquereme Icon.

Thx, for posting the list of needed icons in the first page. I've found some time to create the statue of zeus.

So here it is:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• statue_of_zeus.jpg
    statue_of_zeus.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 263
Amazing, as always. Anyone's help is really appreciated.

Most likely if the art assets become too space-dependent, I'll start separating them into different "art packs". The mod will require them, and you'll have to download them, but they'll all fit on the site. This is just a long-term contingency plan in the case that space gets too crowded.

Alright, that's fine by me. :) The Celts aren't in the mod yet but they're in development, I just need art assets for them.

They're not priority right now, my priority at this moment is to finish the text files for all custom entries in the civilopedia and get Punic Wars out (this is giving me more trouble than its worth, it's not registering any LUA files I put into it).

And as always, thanks for any help (and letting me use the Quinquereme!)

I've implemented all the current custom icons into my atlases. I'm using a different compression now so they shouldn't be distorted (but they may take up more space). I may be going into the split assets method instead.

EDIT: Actually no, I was wrong. The icon atlases with DXT3 compression don't seem to be taking up any more space than they already were with DXT1 compression. Even better. :D

Has anyone who has downloaded and played the mod and would like to post some feedback? I'm dying to know...

I'm being a bit strained due to my studies right now. I've only tried it once yet and only for a short time. However, I hope will eventually have more time during the next two weeks and will try to give some feedback.

I'm being a bit strained due to my studies right now. I've only tried it once yet and only for a short time. However, I hope will eventually have more time during the next two weeks and will try to give some feedback.

I understand. I too am in my first semester in college with finals coming up. :D

Good luck, mate. I hope by Christmas time things will heat up around here.

No, the game will most likely crash because:

You cannot load the Babylon civ.
You cannot load the unit art for the Slinger.

Maybe if custom art comes out for the Slinger, I can remove the Spain/Inca requirement. Until then, though, it has to stay.

Not sure about Babylon since I have that one, but for the slinger (or any missing unit art) those without Spain/Inca just get the spearman graphics. Ranged attack looks very odd, but it works.

Oh, and many of the CS have settlers parked in their cities. They don't use them, but somehow they have them. One of the military CS captured a Babylonian city, but they torched it. It's been quick a while since I've seen them even try to capture a city. It was nice to see.

The "Tax Collectors" civic didn't give any boost in income.

Isn't the Peltast a bit overpowered in ranged attack, esp for throwing javelins 2 full hexes! Maybe they should only have a range of 1 to go along with the "can move after firing" promo?

First thing I noticed playing the mod (Not scenario) is after 10 turns I get a bunch of messages:

An Unmet Player has been ranked #1 in Science, and has recieved 0 Victory Points!

That message is continued with #2, #3 and so on, accompanied by the victory trophy.

First thing I noticed playing the mod (Not scenario) is after 10 turns I get a bunch of messages:

An Unmet Player has been ranked #1 in Science, and has recieved 0 Victory Points!

That message is continued with #2, #3 and so on, accompanied by the victory trophy.

Odd. Science victory should be disabled.

Thanks for the reports guys. If random maps are too buggy switch over to Mesopotamia, that should be stable as hell.

I'll do some debugging now. Some of the errors might've occured during a change I had made from 5 to 6. I'll see what I can do. Version 7 will fix any issues I find.

All feedback is appreciated and really helpful.

1. Ew, I just realized how lazy and sloppy some of my custom dawn of man texts are. Sorry, guys! I'm going to proofread these and clean them up!

2. I replicated the victory trophy notifications. It doesn't end the game - which is good, but it's annoying. I'll see what I can do to delete them. I'm hesitant about touching notifications and victories - I'm afraid of a game crash.

3. I unfortunately have come to the conclusion that removing such annoying pop-ups are impossible. They seem to only come up around turn 10 on a random game, however, and do not seem to be affecting gameplay. I'll PM Spatz and see what he can do.

4. Tax Collectors policy has been fixed. It appears I accidentally referenced it as TAX_COLLECTORS in the code when in fact it was AESTHETICS (long story...).

5. I have not been able to replicate the "CS Settler" issue. In fact, I think it's a graphical bug - sometimes my starting warrior will appear to be in my capital, when he's really not. The same probably applied to the CS starting worker. It's a non-issue in my book.

6. Peltasts have the same stats as Crossbowman. Sorry, I'm gonna be stubborn here, as gameplay will always trump realism here. You have to remember that the Peltasts were once originally called "Heavy Archers", I used Peltasts since they were more historically correct, but they're not special units...just upgraded archers.

All might change, however. If someone gives me a good heavy archer unit (give me some historical research or stuff, I couldn't find any) then I'll make the Peltast a Slinger upgrade and use the new ranged unit as the Archer upgrade.

7. I've been doing some thinking. Perhaps I will include a Mycenean civilization, separate from the Greeks (maybe I'll go back to calling the Greeks Macedonians? :p)

I'll probably be updating this post every few minutes or hours with a few updates I have.
I'll also probably be deploying a hotfix to correct some nagging issues. Hope everyone's having fun so far, however. :)

By the way, the new icons look great. They'll be included in the upcoming hotfix.

A little preview of the hotfix patch notes. I'll update the patch notes post in a bit:
Spoiler :

Bugfixes
  • Corrected issue that prevented the Victory Progress screen from displaying properly
  • Tax Collectors policy now correctly grants +1 Gold per Citizen in the Capital

Gameplay
  • Explorer now requires Astronomy
  • Astronomy now allows embarked units to cross oceans
  • Added tech link from Music to Astronomy
  • The Armory now costs 120 Production
  • Temple of Solomon now grants a Golden Age
  • Temple of Artemis now provides a free Temple in the city
  • Statue of Zeus now provides a free Great Person of your choice
  • Parthenon now grants +1 GA Point, +1 Artist Slot
  • Trireme now obsoletes at Cartography

UI
  • Historical time period has been added for all gamespeeds. Feedback needed to test if it matches up well with the true history of time. The main game will now run from 4000 B.C. to 1000 A.D. (300 turns to 0 B.C., 200 to 1000 A.D. on Standard). The main tech tree should only take ~300 turns to complete.

5. I have not been able to replicate the "CS Settler" issue. In fact, I think it's a graphical bug - sometimes my starting warrior will appear to be in my capital, when he's really not. The same probably applied to the CS starting worker. It's a non-issue in my book.

6. Peltasts have the same stats as Crossbowman. Sorry, I'm gonna be stubborn here, as gameplay will always trump realism here. You have to remember that the Peltasts were once originally called "Heavy Archers", I used Peltasts since they were more historically correct, but they're not special units...just upgraded archers.

All might change, however. If someone gives me a good heavy archer unit (give me some historical research or stuff, I couldn't find any) then I'll make the Peltast a Slinger upgrade and use the new ranged unit as the Archer upgrade.

I can post a savegame if that helps. Do you know how to find out what they really are? Some Lua code that loops through all the civs/minors and dumps unit + hex perhaps?

What is so wrong with a unit with a range of only 1? A non-ranged unit will always take damage from combat, so even a range of 1 is worth something. Besides, crossbows hadn't been invented yet!

This rolls into my overall impression, which is that right now this is too similar to a regular game of civ5. Shouldn't archers be weak, chariots very strong, and bronze weapons be most common? I know there is no copper (or tin), so maybe just rename aluminum to copper and oil to tin, and require both to build strong melee units (eg heavy spearman). It's always expectations, and I'm expecting something more along the lines of TAM (The Ancient Mediterranean mod, for civ4) in terms of techs, units, and resources from an ancient era mod.

I hadn't realized they fixed the problems that were keeping total conversions from working, so I'm very impressed at all that has been done :goodjob: It just seems to be missing some of the bronze era specific things, and cavalry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalry#Origins) are too powerful, whereas it should be chariots during this time.

Top Bottom