1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neirai

Neirai the Forgiven

As a Canadian, the DDE ended up being exactly the same price as base + DLCs, but with you not being able to take advantage of sales, so no discount. So I was very appreciative when they gave out the two free DLCs.

2. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yeah, meanwhile, those of us who - correctly - assessed that the (original) DE was not that hot of a deal, and hence passed on it, were made the fools by that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Ondolindë and WillowBrook like this.
  3. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Ehh, if you valued the Vikings DLC at full price, it was an okay $3ish savings for USD. I mainly blame 2K for the poor planning with regard to other currencies.

That said, I was satisfied because I highly doubted it would be only civ packs (after Civ V had several map packs- which I would consider worse than the Vikings pack, which included great city states like Auckland, natural wonders, and an excellent scenario). All together arguably similar added variability in game compared to a new civ. I also knew it would not cover any expansions (and a large amount of the uproar was anger that it wouldn't include 1 or more- which was incredibly silly, imo).

More on topic, if they gave us a Byzantium leader and civ, I would argue that they shouldn't make them alternative leaders for Rome (or the opposite for Trajan), as that would undercut the point of them getting their own not-Rome civ in the first place.

AntSou likes this.
  4. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Point was, my guestimate before release was that (at least) one of the DLC would be skipable for me until it was on discount - which was the case - which meant that the price offered ended up being more than the price for the remaining three DLCs.

But when that's said, I have to add that the Vikings DLC is actually the one that gives me most fun at this point. I know it didn't have any new civs, but at the end of the day, the new civs mostly matter when you play with that particular civ, whereas the city states and natural wonders potentially feature in all games. And in the end, it's all history, I ended up grabbing the DLCs on sale, so while it did cause some delay, at least I ended up paying the lower price.

5. conorbebe

conorbebe King

I liked the Vikings DLC. The new natural wonders and city-states were worth the price of admission alone.

6. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Warlord

I would especially love this because Babylon replaced Seul as City-State and now it would need to be replaced, so that CS slot would be thrown around like hot potato.

The Kingmaker likes this.
  7. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

We’ve been asking for Babylon, Maya, Byzantium, Ethiopia and Portugal for a long time.

It would be silly to ignore an excuse for us to give them money.

Kjimmet, 679x, conorbebe and 7 others like this.
  8. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Bring it on!

9. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Could we rather have some other leader from the 1000 years of Byzantine history this time? :mischief:

Seriously, so many great picks here. Herakleios, Basil II Bulgaroktonos, Alexios/Ioannes/Manuel Komnonos... Even Michael VIII Palaiologos would do. As long as it's not any of them Angeloi.

10. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I’d certainly vote for Alexios Komnenos, or perhaps a dangerous empress like Eirene.

CivLuvah and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  11. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Speaking of the Viking DLC, Palenque was thrown in that one as a City State. Would they have to change the components of the Viking DLC in order to put in the Maya so that even people who buy the Vikings DLC in the future wouldn't get Palenque?

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Nah. Players that have Vikings but not Maya would get Palenque. Players with both would just get something else.

CPWimmer and Ondolindë like this.
  13. Jeppetto

Jeppetto Warlord

I presume the game detects it also from DLC, not just xpacs.
    They would instead add code to Maya DLC that changes the name of Palenque should player run both.

Alexander's Hetaroi and CPWimmer like this.
  14. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Wasn't the Vikings DLC considered one of the worst back then? I really enjoyed when it came out and enjoy it now more.

AvianBritish likes this.
  15. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

People were just mad it wasn't a civ DLC, and for some reason they had expected at least four civ packs. I think they were wrong to have that expectation, based on the DLC releases in Civ V.

16. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I'm excited we may be getting more content. But I'll be disappointed if it's not a third expansion. I feel like the game really needs something equivalent to Brave New World to really pull together the end-game and just fine tune a few mechanics that are still lacking (Governors in particular).

Still. Very glad FXS is still supporting the game.

CivLuvah, Meluhhan and ferretbacon like this.
  17. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

In addition to the old favorites, there’s a lot of support for some incarnation of renaissance Italy with multiple leaders (a la Greece), but there’s no consensus over which city-states should be represented, whether Florence, Venice or Milan. Would we get a Medici, a Borgia or a Sforza?

Kjimmet, luigilime, Jeppetto and 2 others like this.
  18. AntSou

AntSou King

Oh, I just assume if they're picking Byzantium they won't waste the chance to add such a consequential female leader.

19. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

acluewithout likes this.
  20. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

I thought I might share a few more insights into the "Season Ticket" theory.

This is the text visible to us under the API Name column on the Steamdb website: STK1_STATS_ACHIEVEMENT_04_0

Based on the previous circumstantial evidence of 2K looking for opportunities to change their revenue model and the questions posed to us in the recent Survey, we have speculated that STK1 could be an abbreviation for "Season Ticket." The "1" in STK1 also indicated to us that there is a strong likelihood that there will be an "STK2". If not, why include the number unless Steam code requires it? This can be interpreted to mean numerous things, but it does not exclude the idea of "Seasonal" access to content, pre-sale or subscription based, it falls-in-line nicely with the theory.

There was a comment that questioned the use of "Season Ticket" to describe a pre-sale or subscription based Civilization package because it is not thematically appropriate. I agree, but based on the Lead Designers love of North American Sports, it is actually plausible, especially if it is not the public name, but the internal name. Like Vesuvius.

The "_04_0" could mean anything, but this is the 4th year cycle of development. A 4th "Season", as North American Sports Leagues use "Season" to indicate a Year not a period with in a year. The Playoffs are referred to as the "Post-Season."

These are some of the additional thoughts that have informed the idea of STK standing for "Season Ticket."

I am in no way convinced this is the case, but it was an intriguing idea, and a fun exercise. We are sure to find out relatively soon, at least I hope so.

Haig likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.