1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Future Update?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Aussie_Lurker, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The numbers at the end have to do with the numbering system they use for achievements in general.

The 1 at the end of STK1 probably indicates these 10 are for the first DLC in the season.

Not that there couldn't be additional seasons. If I were Firaxis aiming for a GaaS model, I would try to run more than one season. It could be that we only see a portion of the remaining series regulars with the last being held for a second season.

2. timmychompchomp

timmychompchomp Chieftain

Yes, "_04_0" seems to be. I thought it may be a new way of classifying the achievements, seeing that the DLC, the Expansions, and the Royale used a different structure. Basically, "Abbreviation_Achievement_ Number." The DLC have a number indicating the DLC grouping attached to "DLC." Obviously you know that, having been at this much longer than I.

With that, I thought it was open for interpretation. What I neglected to do, however, was scroll all the way up to the Base Game and see that the same numbering system, more or less, had been used previously. I was only scrolling up through the Expansions and DLC3 through DLC6. I saw that pattern and assumed. I see now that the two number ending had been used previously.

I believe your interpretation of STK1 is most likely, however, "STATS" keeps pulling my mind into vastly different interpretations. I keep envisioning a subscription based system, possibly competitive, with seasonal statistical achievements versus the field or a series of unlock-able or released Scenarios or Challenges. This would expand on the last major update that XCOM2 had. The daily missions and back story mini-campaigns. Civ Scenarios or Challenges would need more time to complete. A day is not sufficient, especially if the Challenge is more like a Game of the Month, which is a known community thing that Firaxis may want to tap into. They have recently started to implement MODS into the updates. This indicates inspiration from the community. The possibility of unlock-able Challenges over a Season, possibly 10 of them per Season. You pay for the Season Ticket, you might get one new Civ to start and some other bonus content and work your way through 10 unlock-able Scenarios and Challenges. They may be "Released" over time instead of "Unlock-able." Maybe a new Civ each quarter. Just speculation. Just so ideas I had based on XCOM2's final update.

3. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

when i first saw STK, i figured it meant scenario tool kit. I wouldn't put it past them to give us built in tools to make our own scenarios.

but all this convo about season passes, who knows. I am looking forward to seeing what they are up to.

4. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Well, all this is unprecedented as far as I know. Civ V didn't get this much attention after BNW as Civ VI has gotten these past few months. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So the idea of a third expansion is appealing and I would welcome it in heartbeat, but would Firaxis and 2K break the mold that much? I have my doubts and yet I am still hopeful. But they are a very careful and calculating company. But doing something like a Season Pass might be what they can venture into considering that they went out of their way to do a survey. Would love to know the results. Regardless, they were testing the waters and they would be taking a first step into doing something uncharacteristic, but which would help them face the changing gaming atmosphere these days if they went with a Season Pass at this junction. All indicates, to me at least, that something bigger is coming than just a simple end-of-Civ VI fix/closure patch. Of course, it should include fixes for the Mac community, it should include fixes to obvious gaping holes in the game, it should include modding tools (this if it truly is the last one, otherwise they might wait a bit for it), but it should include something meaty enough like a scenario or a first DLC, if they go that way. They have certainly surprised me with the last few patches and the attention given to the game. And, I want more surprises.

Haig likes this.
  5. pokiehl

pokiehl King

We already have all the tools we need to make our own scenarios though.

6. Eagle Pursuit

And what would be the point of achievements for scenario tools?

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, 679x and 2 others like this.
  7. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Serious modders would disagree with this statement.

agonistes and Icicle like this.
  8. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

@Eagle Pursuit, @WillowBrook (or others) have you all seen any changes in the Steam DB that would indicate a new QA cycle started that might be causing this delay? With the appearance of the STK1_STATS_ACHIEVEMENT_04_0-10, it seemed like an announcement should have been imminent.

And do either of you have any specific thoughts on these 10 items being in the STATS section instead of the ACHIEVEMENTS section? Is this a way to just hide it from the game page in Steam, or do you have any other thoughts on this distinction? Did earlier Achievements ever start in "Stats" and then move in your previous experience?

RohirrimElf likes this.
  9. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

@pokiehl is a serious modder. I'd imagine it would be the casual modders that would disagree with that statement and would welcome scenario modding tools.

Ondolindë, Gedemon and pokiehl like this.
  10. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

@pokiehl =/= "serious modder" :lol: As pok said, the basic tools are all there to make a scenario if someone really wanted to put in the time and effort.

I think this comment was meant for @King of Prussia , not @pokiehl , yes?

pokiehl likes this.
  11. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

No sign of additional patch testing beyond what we saw last year.

Kjimmet, CPWimmer and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  12. Eagle Pursuit

I was supporting @pokiehl in response to @King of Prussia.

@CPWimmer I don't think much can be ascertained by the structure of these new achievements. I also can't provide any new ideas on why they aren't included with the previous ones. But they are achievements none the less. I think we should be seeing some announcement soon, if they aren't for a patch. The longest it might go without an announcement is a month, I think.

13. Leucarum

Leucarum Prince

Dangit. I'm already on tenterhooks... A month's wait would definitely be a first world problem...

Leyrann, Ondolindë, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  14. AntSou

AntSou King

We already have the Basic World Builder and they did mention they were still working on it.

Perhaps Achievements might not make sense for more advanced scenarios, etc, which require other tools, but I don't find it so unreasonable to have achievements related to the world builder. But I can't think of any other achievements other than create your first map, or something akin to that.
    ---

I'm still not sold that Stats aren't actually Statistics, unless it's been practice in the past to have achievements temporarily in Stats before moving them to Achievements. But the Season Ticket theory sure sounds more appealing, so I'm willing to roll with that.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  15. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

If we get a different leader for the Maya it shouldn't matter. ( Pacal was king of Palenque and they were never unified, so...)

16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

It would still show up as another city most likely, just not as the capital.
    Most people didn't think Jakarta would get replaced since we were getting a Majapahit leader, but since the Civ was called Indonesia, that wasn't the case.

17. King of Prussia

King of Prussia Warlord

we can always use more tools, and more advanced ones that are easy to use and built into the base game. I imagine the world builder will be getting an update and hopefully more or less finished.

achievements can be anything from making a scenario, to playing someone else's, or they can just be a way to categorize the various achievements with the patch/DLC/XPac they will be added in. Wouldn't be the first game to do it. It is not as far fetched as you make it out to be.(referring to the names) You are already doing it with this season pass thing.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  18. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

welp, that settles it then, hopefully they would replace Palenque with another mesoamerican CS...maybe we'll finally get Teotihuacan.

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  19. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Warlord

Worst case scenarion alert
    what if all this steam database achievement stuff is just to add some achievements for the hall of fame feature that they did not had any when first introduced?

20. pokiehl

pokiehl King

Given their focus on porting and updating Civ VI on multiple platforms that do not support mod creation or even the ability to use mods (iOS, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One), I can't imagine that 2K would find the introduction of yet more modding tools as a compelling business move at this juncture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.