Game of the Month SGs - Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Karasu
Looks good. :goodjob:
Thanks also to everyone's comments and enthusiasm -especially to Row for making so clear his worries.

Just to say I agree with all points...
...except #10 ;) I think you can run this thing and are doing it very well. I would be delighted to support it, that's for sure, but let's see how it develops.

And let's get SGOTM1 going! :jump:

What he said, specially re #10! I have just taken on the dubious task of trying to get the gotm results processsing up to date right now, so I suspect I'd be lynched if I volunteered for any other duties until that's sorted.

Mad-Bax
I have been following this thread with interest and just now decided to post because I submitted GOTM 29. I am also interested in playing a SG but was unsure how to get involved in one. I think you have a great concept.

Perhaps a crazy suggestion from a mediocre player who used the QSC to try to get better, I read about SG's that have an experienced player lead a team of less experienced players and who helps them learn other strategies and improve their game while enjoying the fun of playing Civ3. Perhaps, if there are some more experienced players that would be willing to help us learn as we play, that would help draw more people to the SG's you are proposing. Reading through the forums at CivFanatics, there are many people who would like to improve their play but are not always sure how to do that. Comradery, learning the game and fun seem to be good ways to draw people to play.

Thanks for trying to think of ways to get us playing more.

Leif: Training day games are run periodically in the SG forum. In fact there is one about to start and you can join it >>here<<

Because of the way it looks like SGOTM will work, the balancing of teams will naturally mean that the most experienced players will be spread across the teams, as indeed will be the inexperienced players. This is different from normal SG's where quite often the teams are made up of like minded individuals of roughly the same standard. As such SGOTM team play offers a new set of challenges to players of all abilities.

I hope and expect that SGOTM will play like TDG's because of this mix of ability. I cannot however make it a requirement that the games are run as formal TDG's as this will put off some people from playing. Rest assured though that merely participating in a game with this mix of players will be a great and entertaining learning experience.

I look forward to seeing you on the roster in SGOTM1 :)

Mad-Bax: Thanks for helping to understand succession games a little better. and offering me one. I intend to be on the roster for the SGOTM.

I think all that you said above is correct. I think the mix of abilities will result in a great deal of learning by all, and that is a really good thing.

One of the questions you asked was how to get more players involved in joining these SG's. The point I was trying to make is that if players understand the SG is a way to increase their skill while having fun and participating with others then more may show interest. I think that explaining it as a way to improve one's game may draw more people to participate.

I really miss the QSC results as this did more to teach me about the game than any other activity at CFC. Cracker did a great job of helping me and I really appreciate his efforts. I think the SG's could actually do even more for people like me. I have a pretty good handle on the QSC time now but need to improve beyond that time. I can win most GOTM's now but do not do so as eloquently or quickly as some of the truely great players can. They amaze me every month.

Thanks and see you in the SGOTM!

Yeah.. I miss the QSC. In fact I stopped playing GOTM when they dropped it. I started again recently, hoping the QSC will be revived now.

Mad-Bax,

I was wondering where you intend to announce the SGOTM? Will it be in the GOTM forum or the SG forum? I would hate to miss it!! Thanks.

I will post a game announcement thread a couple of days after the start of the next GOTM in this forum, and start the game around 7th April.

I will also put an announcement in the SG registry thread, and finally I intend to ask Thunderfall if he will mention the game on the front page of this site, more in hope than expectation.

If you are that frightened that you will miss the announcement I will PM you if you like.

Thanks!

You're doing enough. I won't miss it. I have been reading through the team threads for the Babylon Deity SG and found them most interesting. This sounds like it will be great fun. See you around April 7th. :crazyeye:

Originally posted by leif erikson
I really miss the QSC results as this did more to teach me about the game than any other activity at CFC. Cracker did a great job of helping me and I really appreciate his efforts.

I heartily concurr on both points!! I had just gotten it figured out, and submitted my first two at the same time that they stopped being processed. Since then, I've tried to keep on top of GOTM, but just don't have the spirit to keep up with it since: 1 - I don't usually have time to finish anyway, and QSC was the one way that I could learn and get some limited feedback. 2 - I'm not in the class of players who are going to be in the top 50% anway.
As such, even though I still try, lack of QSC is pushing me away too.

This is in no way a comment on the abilities and efforts of Ainwood, who is doing a great job!

Originally posted by mad-bax
I will post a game announcement thread a couple of days after the start of the next GOTM in this forum, and start the game around 7th April.

I will also put an announcement in the SG registry thread, and finally I intend to ask Thunderfall if he will mention the game on the front page of this site, more in hope than expectation.

If you are that frightened that you will miss the announcement I will PM you if you like.
I can sort out the admin stuff for you if you like (post the news announcement & stickify the game announcement).

Seeing as there are a couple of strong supporters on the GOTM staff, then it looks like this is an officially supported event.... ;)

Originally posted by ainwood
Seeing as there are a couple of strong supporters on the GOTM staff, then it looks like this is an officially supported event.... ;)
That's good to hear ainwood :thumbsup:

Ted

That is good news ainwood. Thanks very much.

Of course I'll take you up on all offers of help and I'll be in touch as soon as I can.

Since the next game will be GOTM1 it shouldn't be too much of a strain for you I hope. The following game however... well I've had this idea... :mischief:

If some help is needed please sign me in. I will do whatever I can. These SGs are very exciting experience indeed! Probably not less that GOTM itself.

Great akots: you've just volunteered to be a team leader. Thanks :thumbsup:

This sounds very intresting, ive not long started playing SGs, but i really enjoy playing them. They are helping my play improve immensely.

I've always wanted to play a GOTM but have always been put off by the difficulty level of the games, I would be very intrested in joining this set of games for this reason.

I'd also like to join this SG. although I am not very good: I only played on regent so far. :(

The next game has you guys in mind... and you will be made very welcome. :)

Further to awards M.B. I suggest just jacking the existing ones from the GOTM plus a few new ones for the SGOTM variant games.
Such as a purple heart for the highest scoring victorious AW game and a paracetamol or cyanide capsule ( the prefered method for warmongers to check out when their wheels fall off :) ) for the lowest scoring AW loss.
Can't think of anything suitable for OCC, though, I'm sure somone can.

edit: the purple heart might not be so good as it may be confused with the purple shield for the lowest scoring diplo win.

Originally posted by samildanach
Can't think of anything suitable for OCC, though, I'm sure somone can.
Well, thinking real life single-city states ... A Monte Carlo gambling chip? A spare MEP from the Luxembourg European Assembly? An Autobahn map of Lichtenstein?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom