• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Games for Elementary School Strategy Club

Mayor of H-Marker Lake
It’s a well known fact that people who play strategy games are geniuses. So I’m thinking of starting a strategy game club at my daughter’s elementary school (ages 3-6). Although I’d love to play board games like Risk or Axis and Allies that would be a little impractical as it is unlikely we would have time to finish a game in the amount of time we are likely to have. A better idea I think is to play the electronic versions so does anyone have any good suggestions for PC strategy games that might make a good introduction to kids ages 8-12?

Ages 3-6? Do you mean grades 3-6? :lol:

I'll second the motions already brought forth.

In before the civ suggestion

Anyways, there is two Axis and Allies video games, but they are radiclly different. The 1998 is a faithful reconstruction of the third editon rules, but the 2004 version changes many of the rules to fit its RTS theme. Not saying the 2004 is bad (In fact, I love it), but it isn't A&A as you would think it would be.

If you have really deep pockets and a club that will last a long time, get the Paradox games. It'll take a while to understand how to play, but once you do, you'll have some of the best games ever made. For a signifigantly less complex suggestion, perhaps Tropico?

Monopoly

Settlers of Catan maybe?
Risk II is a good one, with adjustable rules/settings. Same time Risk is pretty neat.
Chinese Checkers

Monopoly would be a good one if there was a quick play version---say first to achieve a reasonable dollar amount; not really high in strategy in my book, but seems to be a childhood favorite with a lot of people.
I'd see about a quickplay version of Risk too (e.g. make a custom map with less territories on the board, or limit the number of times replacements are received).

Chess is very good at any age. Checkers for the people who don't get Chess. Go and Pente are interesting games if someone can teach it. Stratego is pretty fun for kids too (not sure of the game length). Reversi and Connect-4 were fun when I was young. I also played a bit of Mastermind as a kid. Related would be Battleship.

Cataan is a fun game, but it definitely runs at least an hour when I play it.

edit: and Chinese Checkers.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will definitely have to start with Tic-Tac-Toe, and while I realize that chess and checkers are standards but I just never got into them. Been hearing a lot about Cataan and forgot about Chinese checkers, will have to look into those.

Thanks also for the heads up on the different Risk and AA versions.

I have the 1998 Axis & Allies game, it was a lot of fun although I recall it having the occasional bug.

I have two Risk games as well, I had a lot of fun with the first one because of its various modes including one which was much more war game like rather than Risk. In retrospect it wasn't very good, but I had no idea the Total War or Paradox games existed yet. I was very disappointed with Risk II, but I don't remember if it was actually a decent Risk game or not (it just didn't have the other modes or battle cinematics which would be awful to watch today, again in retrospect).

EDIT: Wow, Risk 2 came out in 2000! I didn't get it for a few years or so afterwards though. The first Risk I have is from 1996!

The problem with some of these is that they are rare to find copies of now.

Does anyone else know Stratego?

Problem here is that it's only for 2 players, so not well suited for a bigger group.

Edit: :blush: read over that the question was for computer games.
But i think there's also a digital version, not sure.

Yeah I have the board game (minus the board, and a couple of pieces, it was free at a local freestore/recycling depot) and a computer game that came in a cereal box which had a few additional modes including 4 players, although it wasn't the best game I remember playing. I also have another boardgame, Admirals I think it is called, that is stratego with ships.

If you are interested in board games rather than computer games, then I'd suggest:

Settlers of Catan (+ expansions)
Agricola (+ expansions)
Puerto Rico

For a bit older kids:

Caylus
Le Havre

I just remembered that the Risk variant, Risk 2210 A.D. has a turn limit option. Maybe this will help, given the classic Risk's tendency to take way too long to finish.

Risk 2210 A.D. includes a five-turn limit, although it is possible to play as in normal Risk with unlimited turns. Whoever controls the most territories (and bonuses) at the end of the fifth year wins. The player with the last turn in year five can conquer as much territory as possible without worrying about the need to defend. Thus, in close games, victory by the final player is virtually guaranteed, unless the other players have saved a stock of cards and energy to defend themselves.

Board/card games:
Clue
Munchkin

I don't think I'm suitable for elementary kids.

Starting the earthquake in the place that most buildings will be destroyed?

Empire Earth, which is free at gog.com until tomorrow.

Monopoly would be a good one if there was a quick play version---say first to achieve a reasonable dollar amount; not really high in strategy in my book, but seems to be a childhood favorite with a lot of people.
I'd see about a quickplay version of Risk too (e.g. make a custom map with less territories on the board, or limit the number of times replacements are received).

Good god, why would you punish children by making them play such a poorly-designed game? Monopoly is a game that is saturated in money, and the only way the game ends is if money is removed from the game (or is entirely transferred to one player). Add to that all the little "kid" rules like the Free Parking money fountain and you've got a seriously flawed game.

Settlers of Catan maybe?
Risk II is a good one, with adjustable rules/settings. Same time Risk is pretty neat.
Chinese Checkers

Chess is very good at any age. Checkers for the people who don't get Chess. Go and Pente are interesting games if someone can teach it. Stratego is pretty fun for kids too (not sure of the game length). Reversi and Connect-4 were fun when I was young. I also played a bit of Mastermind as a kid. Related would be Battleship.

Cataan is a fun game, but it definitely runs at least an hour when I play it.

Chess is a solid one, the classic game of balancing long-term strategy and short-term tactics, and the three dimensions of material, space, and time. I highly recommend it.

If you are interested in board games rather than computer games, then I'd suggest:

Settlers of Catan (+ expansions)
Agricola (+ expansions)
Puerto Rico

For a bit older kids:

Caylus
Le Havre

Now we are talking. Agricola and Puerto Rico are pretty solid games but there is a learning curve associated with them. I'd recommend starting with the gateway triumvirate: Settlers of Catan, Dominion, and Ticket to Ride. Each game is fairly simple to learn, relatively fast, forces you to plan ahead and manage your resources wisely, and is a combination of competitive and cooperative elements (well, weakly cooperative in Dominion based on cards, and in Ticket if you use the stations from the Europe board).

I add to the list St. Petersburg. It's a pretty simple and fun game where you start off with a certain amount of money, and you buy cards to generate more money and points. Guy with the most points wins. It doesn't get a lot of attention, but I would stick it in the list of great entry games. It's long been a favorite of mine.

Later on, Power Grid. It is the Game of the Gods Themselves. You compete in auctions for power plants, buy fuel, and place stations on a map of any number of different countries to build the largest and most profitable electricity company. It is amazing and can typically be played in 2 to 3 hours. Several different map expansions give you different tweaks and keeps the game fresh.

In general, I don't recommend computer games for kids, at least not RTS. If you are looking to teach strategy, you have to give them time to think and consider moves, etc. The reflex-oriented unit micromanagement in RTS games is not the same thing. Furthermore, if you plan on saving a TBS and playing it over multiple days, you are implicitly expecting the kids to remember their thought process, strategy, and details without getting bored over the same time period. For elementary school kids, that might be a stretch. That's why I like the gateways: Dominion (30 min), TTR (1.5 hours), Catan (1.5 hours), and St. Petersburg (1 hour)--all can typically be played within a single gaming session, and are fast-paced enough that kids won't lose interest like in Monopoly or Risk (especially when someone else is on the warpath and you aren't doing anything but watching them roll dice and move armies).

Top Bottom