Gatecrashers: Civilization IV: The Games That Made Us

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
Patrick Dickerson of GateCrashers has writtena blog post about his experience with Civ4. I don’t think he writes anything which anyone here has never experienced, but it is a very good summary how everyone probably feels about this game.

An excerpt:

Civilization IV was an important game for me because it helped make me who I am. It showed me that there were others out there like me who was fascinated by the history of our world and wanted to spend time deep-diving into it. It made me feel like I had a place in the gaming community. I have since branched out into other genres of games since discovering Civilization IV, but I know I never would have found my other favorite games like Mass Effect if it wasn’t for the countless hours spent playing Sid Meier’s Civilization IV. Here’s to always taking “One More Turn”!”

Read the full blog post here: https://gatecrashers.fan/2022/03/11/civilization-iv-the-games-that-made-us/

Civ4 bts with mods,
To mt taste, is the a near perfect experience.

17 years, almost every day since that im in fanatics cause of civ4.

I would only wish...civ4 would be more know to players that started of civ5-6.
Or, that an iteration in its image will be made.

I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours, mostly on...modding it.

Nice to see people outside here still remember IV. Been struggling with nostalgia for the 2000's & early 2010's, which includes my discovering the game and this site.

Nice to see people outside here still remember IV. Been struggling with nostalgia for the 2000's & early 2010's, which includes my discovering the game and this site.

Isn't there still a pretty good community around the game? I've moved onto Realism Invictus (which is incredibly good - so glad I chanced upon it), but it seems that 'IV is far and away better than the subsequent titles by the "serious player" consensus.

I really got into the series with V, but I do own IV and have played it a few times. It's good and I respect people for whom it is their favorite, but in my opinion it's one of the weaker entries in the series.
I also have found that the IV community has something of a problem with elitism and gatekeeping. There are plenty of friendly and helpful people in that community, don't get me wrong, but I have run into several people who tend to very easily get on a high horse about complexity and difficulty to a level that I don't really see with any of the other games in the series.

I love the idea of young people who found this franchise and who fell in love with it. I'm a little too old for that... I remember watching someone playing Civ1 in grad school, then looked for it in the discount software bin at Best Buy. I didn't find Civ1, but I did find Civ2 in the bin for $10. Best -- meaning most enjoyment -- ten dollars I ever spent.

I used to try to get civilization 3 back when civilization 2 was kind of old, but then I saw civilization 4 new in the store aisle and said aww why not? and bought it. I would spend long hours on civilization 4 and I even met a lot of good players online who were somehow able to tech a lot better than me. I remember playing FFA Pangea and would win almost all the match with a few exceptions because there were really people out there who really wouldn't quit just because one quit and everyone else quit. Someone actually stayed with me and even though he beat me and got up to tanks first, I didn't have any oil and there weren't any anti tanks at that time so I just quit. However, I still remember and it was worth a good match even though I lost.

As time passed by, I remember civ 4 also had single player and found this forum and found another challenge which was getting to Deity victory. I must admit I still don't know how to get it, but I was able to make at least up to monarch which was more challenging than noble which I used to play on all the time. I found this forum and many good tips and it was like therapy because of the challenges in life-I started college and I recall using the computer labs to be on this forum since I couldn't play civilization at school. I used to think of this game all the time but I wouldn't let it interfere with my studies as much as I could so I would just go to the computer lab and log online to civfanatics.com, here and participate.

Isn't there still a pretty good community around the game?
yes, still.
i am modding civ4 for 16 years and i see my self stick with it for years to come.
at least until a civ game will come out that will provide gamecoredll sdk and full mod support.

:)

Top Bottom