[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

You imply this game actually has an AI.
Personally, I'd rather a game have a deficient AI than have a proto-Reaper for an AI like Sins of a Solar Empire. :p

Why would they know history if most of their audience doesn't? If you have kids, have you checked what they "learn" as "history" in their classes lately?

Yeap.

Home-schooling history or they will vote the likes of AOC or JT the moment they turn 19...:rolleyes:

Or buy Civ 7 without questioning anything...

Don't have to check what they are 'learning' in High School, I remember the History Department at the University I attended, in which the entire Department had one professor teaching ancient/classical Greek history, no one teaching African or Southeast Asian history of any kind, and everyone else teaching European or American history. Mind you, they had some resident experts on Louis XIV and the US Civil War, but most of the world throughout most of its existence was Terra et Tempora Incognita.

On the other hand, the audience is not trying to design a 'historical' game, so I still say the designers have no excuses. Note in the news today that a bunch of the Major Players in the video game industry took a bath on their sales and projections this year, so the mindless churning out of first person shooters with dubious backstories or mythological 'historical' games is starting to turn on them. Good Riddance.

And finally, given that the Firaxoidal Design Team can come up with a wide variety of civilizations and leaders that are at least half-right, there's no excuse for also doing the research to get the Basic Game Units, terrain, Civics and technology right: leaders and civs are malleable: the units and promotions, tech and civics trees are the basic skeleton of the game, yet they still have serious problems with the design and interaction among all of them.

Last edited:
I have only looked into Gathering Storm briefly.
Just enough to get the gist of some of the changes.
At first I thought this expansion was going to make the game more difficult.
However, now it appears the game is only going to get easier, depending on how you play the game that is.
I think the more choices you give the AI the more it struggles... am I wrong?
Some of the new mechanics should be fun for awhile though.

I believe it's released here in New Zealand on Friday because it's the 15th here when it's still the 14th in most other places. I'll have to wait until the weekend in any case! :(
Ugh, I knew this'd happen! I wish they'd give a time zone for their release dates.

Man, one more day ...

Has Firaxis, or I guess Steam, revealed when we can start to preload GS?

Has anyone that pays attention to navy stuff noticed if inland lakes that connect to the open ocean via canals are subject to endgame flooding, or do the locks (or what-not) prevent the rise from proceeding inland?

Has anyone that pays attention to navy stuff noticed if inland lakes that connect to the open ocean via canals are subject to endgame flooding, or do the locks (or what-not) prevent the rise from proceeding inland?

very unlikely because canals are a basic implementation. They said they had some trouble to even get them to work, and spent a lot of resources on them. And I still saw something weird during one of Firaxis live streams regarding land units passing through canals, so they aren't perfect as is. I doubt advanced mechanics like you describe would be in the game.

Writing Bull just said that military engineers build railroads but without using a Charge. You just need a movement point. :dubious:
So you can build a whole railroad network with very few engineers. Don't know if that has been known already, it was New to me...

Writing Bull just said that military engineers build railroads but without using a Charge. You just need a movement point. :dubious:
So you can build a whole railroad network with very few engineers. Don't know if that has been known already, it was New to me...
We saw that in the Canada stream. It does contribute to CO2 levels, though, and costs Coal and Iron.

Top Bottom