[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Yup, it's a tough balance. I think Paradox kind of scares me off with the way they constantly release expansions, which actually shouldn't be the case. I might have to take another look at stellaris at some point. I think Firaxis could reach a great middle ground by releasing a third expansion, though I wonder at that point if it would intrude too much on Civ 7, and how that would go with the corporate interests. The big series names need a pretty huge team now, indie developers are able to focus more on refining the game by staying with a small team.

Meh, Paradox games aren't my cup of tea, but I actually wouldn't mind if Firaxis adopted a version of their model, with 4-5 smaller paid expansions, but with some mechanics, bug fixes, and balance patches coming free alongside them even if you aren't buying the DLC. It certainly wouldn't work quite out the same since civ nations tend to work off a more similar framework than different types of EUIV nations, but I'd be willing to pay $20-$25 for ~5 civ DLCs that came alongside guaranteed balance patches and new mechanics.

I kind of wish luxury goods stockpiled, too, and were consumed at a rate of (X) per city per turn, where X was some determinate of population per city the good was providing amenities to.

Would make trade deals with foreign powers MUCH more straight forward.

Of course, the only true hope for a 3rd expansion rests on a better trade and better early game diplomacy system and colonization, vassalization, and exploration system.

Bring on CIv 6: Merchants, Pirates, and Pilgrims!

Tear gas on civilians is perfectly acceptable when verbal warnings don’t work. It’s harmless, I’ve been gassed multiple times lol

I wonder how much does official love Magnus? He's the main character in R&F already, now he will be the King...That -80% strategy requirement skill combines with +50% chop yield, will ruin all his opponents.:undecide:

Depends on whether strategic resources are a true limiter. If they're scarce, Magnus will be useful. Keep in mind, though, that chopping overall may be nerfed as of GS (still needs to be concerned, we don't know the rules yet), so what he picks up here he may lose on the chop bonus. Victor received a buff, so if strategic resources are plentiful, building units in his city would be better than building them with Magnus.

Magnus' Settlers don't cost a pop bonus has the potential to be his strongest one in the early game. Fortunately, it still takes two Governor points to get it, so by the time you can get it, the benefit is greatly reduced.

sorry to reappear here after months of absence with some good old fashioned negativity but um.............................

the four civs we know/are pretty sure of are: hungary, canada, sweden and carthage?????????????????????????????????????

am i missing something or is this APPALLING

(i don't have the energy to comb through all the evidence so i'm going entirely off the features thread, someone catch me up if i'm reading it wrong)
In the trailer we can clearly see hints of the Maori and the Inca as well.
And according to probably a credible leak, the Ottomans and Mali will be in it as well and instead of Carthage it will be Phoenicia.

I wonder how much does official love Magnus? He's the main character in R&F already, now he will be the King...That -80% strategy requirement skill combines with +50% chop yield, will ruin all his opponents.:undecide:

Which -80% requirement, sorry I missed that. I'm excited to see if overuse of chopping will bring with it any more negative effects that would particularly affect the player. I could play as an environmentalist who conquers other civs when they get too chop happy :D

Overall I think this expansion will really highlight the role playing aspect of the game.

Looking forward to the "teaser" on next Monday? :p I miss the R&F teasers. Now, it's just part of the leader background.

That's actually kind of harder than riddles about trivia from the leader's wiki entry.

Especially if the background is really generic looking.

I could see Sabotage Dam being the new Recruit Partisans for the AI espionage system. That would be super annoying.
Then, of course, we'd have to station a Spy there to prevent the sabotage. I'm suddenly getting flashbacks to GoldenEye.

OMG I just had a great idea with resources. What if how many resources you could stockpile was a function of how many encampments/encampment buildings you had? So like:
-You are allowed a max of 50 of any resource stockpiled at a time, +10 for each encampment you own.
-You are allowed +10 iron per barracks, +10 horses per stable, +10 niter per armory (and maybe +10 of each of the late game aluminum/oil/uranium/coal per military academy?).

This way, encampments would have a secondary function as warehouses, so if you had too many and someone pillaged it, you would actually lose your extra surplus. You would also have the spy mission in an encampment to "steal resources", although kind of funny to picture a spy walking out with a briefcase of Uranium...

That's actually kind of harder than riddles about trivia from the leader's wiki entry.
If we didn't have the leak, some of them might be really hard. With the leak, it should be a piece of cake - at least if all of them are as distinct as Hungary.
I think that Phoenicia, for example, could be a really tough nut and we would not agree on the solution. But since we know who we will get, even this one shouldn't be hard to figure out.

OMG I just had a great idea with resources. What if how many resources you could stockpile was a function of how many encampments/encampment buildings you had? So like:
-You are allowed a max of 50 of any resource stockpiled at a time, +10 for each encampment you own.
-You are allowed +10 iron per barracks, +10 horses per stable, +10 niter per armory (and maybe +10 of each of the late game aluminum/oil/uranium/coal per military academy?).

This way, encampments would have a secondary function as warehouses, so if you had too many and someone pillaged it, you would actually lose your extra surplus. You would also have the spy mission in an encampment to "steal resources", although kind of funny to picture a spy walking out with a briefcase of Uranium...
That would be a really nice buff to encampments. I like it! There definitely should be a cap to resource accumulation, with sensible ways of increasing the cap.

If we didn't have the leak, some of them might be really hard. With the leak, it should be a piece of cake - at least if all of them are as distinct as Hungary.
I think that Phoenicia, for example, could be a really tough nut and we would not agree on the solution. But since we know who we will get, even this one shouldn't be hard to figure out.
Background speculation time:
Dido could be in front of a cothon
Mansa Musa in front of the great mosque
Pachacuti in front of Machu Picchu
Suleiman in the Grand Bazaar
Kristina in a library
Eleanor in front of Portiers Palace
Kupe on a beach with a waka and a volcano in back
Wilfred Laubier in front of ice hockey arena.:mischief:
But really probably thier parliament building.

Or a briefcase of horses.

Background speculation time:
Dido could be in front of a cothon
Mansa Musa in front of the great mosque
Pachacuti in front of Machu Picchu
Suleiman in the Grand Bazaar
Kristina in a library
Eleanor in front of Portiers Palace
Kupe on a beach with a waka and a volcano in back
Wilfred Laubier in front of ice hockey arena.:mischief:
But really probably thier parliament building.
Truthfully Kristina in a library is perfect. I can't wait for her to angrily shut her book when I do something that makes her mad.

Someone mentioned the Göta Kanal earlier in the thread and now I worry that Sweden's unique ability will be that they can build canal districts adjacent to other canal districts.

The horror.

Edit: Or a unique canal district with the same effect. OMG.

Truthfully Kristina in a library is perfect. I can't wait for her to angrily shut her book when I do something that makes her mad.
Not knowing much about her I thought it would be perfect. Her leaked picture has her holding a book as well.

Top Bottom