[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Okay the stream is over, the features thread is up, and now I must sleep, goodnight all, I hope they gift you all some new information while I am asleep as is tradition

I predict that China (or specifically Qin Shi Huang)'s new expansion-related ability has something to do with the damming/redirecting of rivers, as a nod to the ancient Dujiangyan irrigation system, constructed during the Qin Dynasty. The Min River would previously crash down the mountains and slow down abruptly, making the surrounding area extremely prone to flooding, and rather than damming the river, the Chinese decided to redirect it to irrigate other areas. That would work perfectly with this expansion and its new features.

Perhaps China gains the ability to redirect rivers, or gain some sort of bonuses for the land fertility thing related to rivers that was shown, or some other way to turn a flood into something more positive.
I had the thought it would more be about canals.

Ed just said that Russia gets a civ ability where their units are immune to blizzards but enemy units take more damage. So we got a mechanic for a Russian winter now when you invade Russia. Very cool!

Still think the whole ice & snow theme should be moved to Norway. Russia should have the old "siberian riches" resource advantage. You know, I simply associate ice and snow more with Norway than with Russia.

"On the other side, we’ve replaced the Warmonger score with Grievances. This acts as a tug-of-war between a pair of players – if you’ve ever been at the receiving end of a surprise attack and retaliated by taking a few cities, I think you’ll appreciate how this system has been updated. The other leaders are now likely to feel that such a countermove was entirely appropriate."

Yeah, this is huge. I thought it was ridiculous that a warmonger can declare a surprise war against you and invade you but if you fight back and win, the world hates you and condemns you as the warmonger. So happy they fixed this.

Also happy to see diplomatic favors.

Does the unique governor imply that Gathering Storm will require Rise and Fall? :sad:

Probably not, the second expansion in V just copied over the features, omitted the civs and it wasn't necessary to have G&K to pla with every mechanic.

But really though, lets be serious for a second there. Natural disasters? New technology era? River names is the real deal here, I'd pay 30$ for this standalone. (also, regarding the third EP, do we know or have any reasons to believe whether it will or will not happen?)

This expansion makes me wonder what even a hypothetically third expansion could cover. There is so much....
One interesting thing is that there was no mention of religion being touched whereas the other victories are being looked at.
The Maya and Byzantium would go well with a religious expansion if we got that as #3.

From: https://civilization.com/news/entri...w-expansion-release-date-pc-february-14-2019/

"In Gathering Storm, Favor is a new form of currency to track your diplomatic goodwill. It serves as voting power in the World Congress so you can get the world community to adopt your ideas. On the other side, we’ve replaced the Warmonger score with Grievances. This acts as a tug-of-war between a pair of players – if you’ve ever been at the receiving end of a surprise attack and retaliated by taking a few cities, I think you’ll appreciate how this system has been updated. The other leaders are now likely to feel that such a countermove was entirely appropriate."

Warmongering is gone, Hallelujah!

They also state that the World Congress can ban things like chopping rain forest, but I really hope it's possible to ignore the World Congress this time, just for Diplomatic Penalities.

Yeah, this is huge. I thought it was ridiculous that a warmonger can declare a surprise war against you and invade you but if you fight back and win, the world hates you and condemns you as the warmonger. So happy they fixed this.

Also happy to see diplomatic favors.

Yup, looks good and if you are the guy starting all the trouble you should get no sympathy from the world.

I'm just stoked the Hall of Fame is finally back.

This expansion makes me wonder what even a hypothetically third expansion could cover. There is so much....

I doubt that the game will get a 3rd expansion. 2 expansions is pretty typical for past civs. Plus, with 2 expansions, they have made the game a lot more complete. It's a pretty full game now. There is not that much left to add, not enough for 3rd expansion, I don't think. Firaxis seems to be going for really big, meaty expansions.

I would appreciate changes to science victory. I can see why having a world dominant culture or religion gives you the influence to win, as with dominating militarily or diplomatically to take total control. I don't get how a mara colony does that (alpha centauri made more sense to me personally, as it's presumably meant to be a naturally life sustaining planet you could take control of).

we do have some new items unlocking in these late eras that spice up the present Science, Culture, and Domination Victories in fun new directions.

No love for religious victory in the late game or is religious victory gone, being replaced by diplomatic?

I wonder if we could see Alpha Centuri or something like it added as a 4th stage to the Science Victory as a nod to Beyond Earth/SMAC.

I feel the biggest problem for this expansion is why would you not just win a domination victory long before the climate change.

We didn't see it but I am SO glad they changed Australia's colours .... Fluro Green and Black was just a nasty combination

Top Bottom