1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

I'm a bit wait and see on the whole climate/natural disasters thing. I know they said it's "controlled randomization" which is definitely encouraging but I feel it may be a tricky system to get to work in a way that feels great.
    Really glad with most of everything else they talked about though. Sounds like a meaty addition, definitely. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Wish there had been something regarding Religion. From what I could see on the very brief look, there were no changes to the pantheons at least. Religion is still a system that doesn't feel quite right to me.

Hype is real!

rlw33 likes this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Whatever LTest is, it went live during the stream.

3. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

I know a big problem in past civ games is that most games would basically be over before you got to to the end of the tech tree. The changes to the victory conditions will hopefully address that. I want the late games to still be meaningful and I am optimistic that they will be in this expansion. We shall see.

4. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Wow. This is massive!

Those who predicted a third expansion for Civ6 were right.
    And it is actually already integrated into the upcoming second one ...

Sostratus, Proclo, Hawke9 and 4 others like this.
  5. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

If anyone is interested, I believe the earthquake scene is suppose to depict the 526 AD Ascension Day earthquake in Antioch. Given the religious overtones and Byzantine flavor of the church, it matches well with that infamous event (hundreds of thousands were said to have died, but that number seems high).

Of course, it does not suggest the Byzantines are coming, because Antioch was added as a CS last time around.

ZenSpider, conorbebe, Hawke9 and 6 others like this.
  6. luigilime

luigilime Prince

also in the expansion trailer, the part directly after vesuvius erupting was very much byzantine in architecture

7. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Okay now I am truly really going to bed .... but there is so much new information ... no sleep time

8. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

From the Steam page:

NEW LEADERS AND CIVS
    Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor.

MORE NEW CONTENT
    Seven new world wonders, seven natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, 9 new buildings, 5 new districts, 2 new city sets, 9 new techs and 10 new civics have been added.

IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS
    The Espionage system has been enhanced with new options, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added, and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems.

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Wasn't the Hagia Sofia dome collapsed by an earthquake at some point?

10. klail

klail Chieftain

Awesome job Firaxis! I'm blown away...

conorbebe and Hawke9 like this.
  11. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Super excited about civs having multiple color schemes: have you ever seen France and Mapuche or England and Gorgo or Tamar and Japan next to each other? So that's fantastic. Also super excited about named features and natural disasters. I was hoping for a First Look, but that's just me being greedy...Only real disappointment was that the cinematic was very meh compared to the vanilla and R&F cinematics.

Am I the only one who thinks this just screams Djoser and Imhotep? (Which would happily disprove Eleanor once and for all.)

Yes, it was.

12. Myomoto

Myomoto Warlord

Oh, that's definitely something that's completely absent from their promotional material, there's not a single mention of earth quakes.

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Hmm,
    Dam--comfirmed
    Canal (probable)
    Water Science thingy
    ?????
    ?????

14. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I think the canal is something built by military engineers, would also fit well into England's new ability.

AvianBritish, nzcamel and Stilgar08 like this.
  15. Denkt

Denkt Reader

I suspect Power plants may be built by engineers given Englands focus on them.

16. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

New in game artwork that looks amazing … as expected.

Lots of cool, new mechanics … as expected.

Where the rubber hits the road for me is:
    • how will all these new mechanics mesh into the existing systems?
    • will the AI be able to handle the new mechanics, or are these for the human player only?
    • will the AI leaders be interesting opponents when negotiating grievances/climate issues/diplomacy generally?
    • compared to the current state of the game, will the AI at higher difficulty levels be better able to defend itself, and will it be more dangerous to have as an enemy?
    • compared to the current state of the game, will the AI at higher difficulty levels pursue victory conditions more efficiently?

conorbebe and Leathaface like this.
  17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Proclo, Hawke9, Inawordyes and 4 others like this.
  18. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

One of the five new districts is probably a unique Comm Hub.

Hawke9 likes this.
  19. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Prince

Oof, that Beyond Earth reference in the announcement page on the Civilization website feels like a punch in the gut... WHY MUST YOUR RUB IT IN?!

I hope that there are some advantages for Coastal cities, because if they're going to have to deal with the dangers of tectonic, tidal, and flood forces that's going to be a tough sell with the current infrastructure, in my opinion.

I'm also curious as to what changes may be made to existing systems to tie the new and old content together.

Based on the announcement page, it sounds like Dams, Canals, Tunnels, and Railroads are improvements. So I don't think they'll be part of the District count.

legalizefreedom likes this.
  20. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

They're described as a District in the Governor's screen post. So are Dams.

conorbebe and SelmanV like this.