[GS] Gathering Storm General Discussion Thread

Eleanor ran Aquataine as her own; and the lords there only supported the French or English crown when she asked them to.

You have to remember under feudalism there really wasn’t a nation; just a complex set of liege ties.

I think her inclusion is great as she was not someone to trifle with.

Sorry, remind me - do we think (or know) that the grievance system is for GS only? Or is that something that they are upgrading the whole game to in a patch?

I don't think that's been explicitly stated, but I assume it's GS exclusive for now.

It just occurred to me that they are likely saving the diplomacy focused civs for whenever they decide to get into more detail about the diplomatic victory. Which means that there is a high chance that most of the remaining civs have some mechanics tied to diplomacy.

Canada was pretty Diplo focused.

I don't think that's been explicitly stated, but I assume it's GS exclusive for now.

Canada was pretty Diplo focused.

Hmm, true. Which is pretty peculiar since we don't actually know how diplomacy in gathering storm works.

I guess I might be overthinking things, too much free time during Christmas.

It just occurred to me that they are likely saving the diplomacy focused civs for whenever they decide to get into more detail about the diplomatic victory. Which means that there is a high chance that most of the remaining civs have some mechanics tied to diplomacy.

We have observed that the Diplomacy Victory operates through the World Congress. So any civ with a bonus to Diplomatic Favor is a bonus to the Diplomatic Victory. IE Canada. And civs like Greece and Georgia that can accumulate more suzerainties have a Diplomatic Victory advantage as well. Hungary to a lesser extent since you have to be suzerain in order to get the extra envoys from levying troops. But it means you don't have to go back and spend envoys to maintain that relationship quite as often, so you can spend those envoys elsewhere.

We have observed that the Diplomacy Victory operates through the World Congress. So any civ with a bonus to Diplomatic Favor is a bonus to the Diplomatic Victory. IE Canada. And civs like Greece and Georgia that can accumulate more suzerainties have a Diplomatic Victory advantage as well. Hungary to a lesser extent since you have to be suzerain in order to get the extra envoys from levying troops. But it means you don't have to go back and spend envoys to maintain that relationship quite as often, so you can spend those envoys elsewhere.

True enough, though I'd really like to see some late game playing so we can get a proper look on the final stages of the diplo victory. Right now we have a general idea but don't know the details.

And civs like Greece and Georgia that can accumulate more suzerainties have a Diplomatic Victory advantage as well.
Maybe I haven't seen this yet but do city-states vote in the World Congress as well, because I'm not sure how that would be tied in? Or do you get more Diplomatic Favor by becoming the suzerain meaning you can vote on yourself more to become the winner?

Maybe I haven't seen this yet but do city-states vote in the World Congress as well, because I'm not sure how that would be tied in? Or do you get more Diplomatic Favor by becoming the suzerain meaning you can vote on yourself more to become the winner?

Per Arioch's analytic site, you accumulate 1 Favor per suzerainty per turn.

I have missed a lot of discussion the last few weeks.... if my dutch river floods is there risk some tiles will turn to floodplain and ruin my adjacency plans?
Tiles do not "turn into" flood plays. Certian tiles will be designated flood plains right from the start, and be visible on the map. The risk is that they will periodically actually flood.

As for how the new non-desert flood plains interact with building districts/wonders, I don't think we know for sure. The implication is that you CAN build districts on them, but they risk being pillaged/destroyed if a flood happens. I don't think we've seen any game play that actually shows this specific case, however.

Yep. The envoy assassination mission is going to be significantly more important than before.
Maybe the AI will finally take a break from spawning partisans. :p

Tiles do not "turn into" flood plays. Certian tiles will be designated flood plains right from the start, and be visible on the map. The risk is that they will periodically actually flood.

As for how the new non-desert flood plains interact with building districts/wonders, I don't think we know for sure. The implication is that you CAN build districts on them, but they risk being pillaged/destroyed if a flood happens. I don't think we've seen any game play that actually shows this specific case, however.
Flood plains have to be buildable or the entire flood mechanic becomes a lot cheaper--especially since they've mentioned specifically the tradeoff of building a district which is expensive to fix vs. an improvement which is cheap to fix.

I hope it means we get something a bit more interesting tomorrow.
Sarah: "Eleanor leads England AND France in Sid Meier's Civilization Gathering Storm"

In the next, say 2-3 weeks, if Firaxis does not address how other Civs will be "reformed" for Gathering Storm then this will only be a half expansion in my opinion. Tamar, Roosevelt, and Montezuma all needs to be discussed on what changes they will receive for this expansion immediately otherwise their low reason for being played becomes zilch after release.

Georgia can, at least partially, be fixed by making Golden Ages harder to obtain. My preferred solution would be that it takes the same number of Era Points to get from a Normal Age to a Golden Age as it takes to get from a Dark Age to a Normal Age, i.e. 12 + 5 per previous Goden Age + 1 per city besides your capital. Currently it's just a flat 12. It would also somewhat limit city spam without setting a hard cap, as every city you found or conquer would make a Golden Age a little bit harder to obtain. (Of course it does that now as well, but it would double the penalty.)

I do wonder if the new Global Warming/ Natural Disasters will impact on Polder generation

Top Bottom