[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Well, I mean...

Note the squared-off sides. It's almost definitely a Cahokia mound, maybe Monk's Mound when you consider the (anachronistic) stone steps:

Spoiler :

I agree. This seems like the obvious and closest match. I think it's definitely a Cahokia mound, either a Monk's Mound wonder or, perhaps, an improvement from a new Cahokia city state.

If it was a motte and bailey, where's the keep at the top of the hill? I also don't think it looks much like a Maori pa from the images I've looked up.

commando.jpg

Commando upgrade now grants +1 movement as it seems (this is new, right?)

Why do I feel like the Rise and Fall screenshots revealed more new things than these ones?

Possibly because there were a bit more new features in R&F than there are in GS? At least based on what's been announced.

R&F introduced:
  • Governors
  • Loyalty
  • Free Cities
  • Emergencies
  • Dark & Golden Ages
  • Era score (consider part of the above if you like, I separate because I like the Era Score History more than the Ages system)

From what we know, I believe GS introduces:
  • Climate Effects
  • Diplomacy points for a new diplomacy victory
  • Grievance system (to replace War Weariness? modify Emergencies?)
  • Hall of Fame
The other stuff (number of leaders, new wonders, etc.) is fairly consistent, between the two, I believe..

Possibly because there were a bit more new features in R&F than there are in GS? At least based on what's been announced.

R&F introduced:
  • Governors
  • Loyalty
  • Free Cities
  • Emergencies
  • Dark & Golden Ages
  • Era score (consider part of the above if you like, I separate because I like the Era Score History more than the Ages system)

• Climate Effects
  • Hall of Fame
The other stuff (number of leaders, new wonders, etc.) is fairly consistent, between the two, I believe..
I think you're missing quite a few of the new things GS introduces, such as:
  • Power and Consumable Resources
  • Engineering Projects (Dams, Canals, Tunnels, etc.)
  • A new Future Era
And I'm sure there's probably more that I'm not remembering. This expansion is packed!

I think you're missing quite a few of the new things GS introduces, such as:
  • Power and Consumable Resources
  • Engineering Projects (Dams, Canals, Tunnels, etc.)
  • A new Future Era
And I'm sure there's probably more that I'm not remembering. This expansion is packed!

You're right, I forgot about the new Power mechanism.

The other things seem to line up with R&F introductions. For example, R&F introduced some new districts, too, which are what Dams and Canals are.

You're right, I forgot about the new Power mechanism.

The other things seem to line up with R&F introductions. For example, R&F introduced some new districts, too, which are what Dams and Canals are.

Power is a returning mechanism actually. The Civ4 fanboys should be happy about that at least :)

Moderator Action: Calling someone, or a group of people, "fanboy(s) is trolling, please stop using the term. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I trust the art team to get this right before GS is released. The crew working on Civ 6's in game art has been top notch so far.

Yeah. The art is top notch. So is the sound design.

I’m really loving the map names in particular.

There’s a few graphical niggles I hope they fix before release. Perhaps we should have a thread?

My list so far:
  • The Damns are the wrong way around. The curved part should point upstream and the concave part point downstream. Otherwise the damn would burst.
  • Thames should just be “Thames” not “Thames River”. Thames literally means river, so calling it the Thames River means you’re saying the River River.
Anything else?

R&F introduced:
  • Governors
  • Loyalty
  • Free Cities
  • Emergencies
  • Dark & Golden Ages

• Climate Effects
  • Hall of Fame

Did RnF actually have that much in it?

Loyalty was big. Era taken as a whole was a lot of new stuff. But everything else was either linked to loyalty or fairly shallow? Cosmetic? e.g. Governors are well designed gameplay wise (if lacking flavour) but there’s not much else going on - they’re not animated, the UI is pretty simple, the benefits are just more suzerain type bonuses.

GF feels like it has much more chunky stuff so far.

Power is a returning mechanism actually. The Civ4 fanboys should be happy about that at least :)

Not having power and not making strategic resources was a real gap. I’m a bit worried what’s being introduced with resources could be a bit too micro - let’s wait and see - but it’s a good move.

Why do I feel like the Rise and Fall screenshots revealed more new things than these ones?

We got more of the world/natural wonders from the R&F first screenshots, but it think we have gotten more of the other improvements in these ones

well, i think it's time i play some more then :lol: now this promotion makes a little more sense to pick...

I actually always picked it because I preferred the +7 combat strength over the +10 defense versus ranged attacks, and after that I always wanted to rush for the +10 damage against cities (I swear, melee units are so good at taking cities once you have a few promotions) and the second attack per turn.

I rewatched the trailer and it occured to me that in the last scenes the lady makes a speech at the world congress, right? Her daughter and (presumably) her father are watching and listening to it. Mother and daughter have a "world congress sticker" on their revers (clothing - correct english? Sorry if not!)

Father and daughter look over to that glassdome-thing which seems to be this very world congress... Isn't it looking suspiciously similar to the glass-dome on the not yet identified "water-improvement/district/thing" on some of the screenshots but without the skyscrapers?

What if this thing is the World Congress district? What if on the screenshot we see a very early stage of that district? You have to build it in order to win a DV - maybe everyone who wants to win has to? It evolves either when you build stuff in it (like the R&F government district - buildings or projects or so) or when you gain your DV-points which from my understanding are different from the political favor currency in the game.
It looks more like the scene from the trailer when you're close to winning a DV... You know like the spaceport for SV where you can see on the map how close everyone involved is to winning this sort of victory. And "seeing it on the map" seems to be the mantra for CiVI for FXS.

Just a thought and I think it would be cool... :think:

edit: I know about this Seastead thing and it could very well be just that as well but anyways... :king:

Spoiler Screenshot website :

Spoiler Screenshot moviescene :

They were talking about how this new change lets ships dock in the city and how China has a special bonus related to it.

Edit: Ed specifically mentioned docking a ship. Perhaps we can only put 1 ship in a city at a time now? And china somehow gets a bonus that lets them dock more?

I just wanted to say that after a quick Google of "China and Canals" (literally what I searched) I have found that China would buld Canals quite often in order to stop their rivers from flooding their lands, so on that basis I am gonna go ahead and say that China will either receive a unique canal that they would unlock earlier than usual which would reduce the chances of river floods in their cities, or that they would just gain a UA making rivers flood less often if they have a canal district next to them... Something along those lines

The Civ4 fanboys should be happy about that at least

I am. :D This just seems like an obvious feature that had huge impact upon cities on countries once they transformed to having electricity.

The cinematics are almost always done by a third party company, and to get done in time they have to start long before the game is in anything like its final form. So there is usually very little correlation between the cinematic and the actual gameplay. Looking for clues in the cinematic seems to me to be a path to madness (not to mention a waste of time).

And wasn't it Rise and Fall that had the World Congress in the trailer? I always figured they either couldn't get it working, or ran out of time. And from comments of the video, it seems like they wanted to tie it in with the climate change mechanic, so perhaps they chose to wait.

Top Bottom