[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Watch Sweden get one of the unique city art slots. :lol:
we know for sure hungary got one. honestly I'm starting to think that the city sets don't reference the unique palace arts, but instead just refer to the standard city buildings that pop up the more population you have, or at least I'm hoping that's what they refer to becuase I am in love with all the detailed graphics of this game and I cannot get enough of them. :lol:

we know for sure hungary got one. honestly I'm starting to think that the city sets don't reference the unique palace arts, but instead just refer to the standard city buildings that pop up the more population you have, or at least I'm hoping that's what they refer to becuase I am in love with all the detailed graphics of this game and I cannot get enough of them. :lol:

I think that's what it is, the standard city buildings.

I just had a thought that if the Maori were in GS, then surely Rapa Nui would have a brand new Polynesian art style:

View attachment 510856

But it looks like Rapa Nui uses the South-East Asian graphics with an unusual amount of Ancient Era huts. This does not bode well for unique Maori city art.

Or maybe it's still early in development, meaning we probably won't see a Maori reveal anytime soon. I'm hoping it's that.
I don't mind either way. I mean, it does make sense for an Oceanian civ to receive its own city art style. But a shared Polynesian/Indonesian art style ("Austronesian", if you will) could also be justified.

Watch Sweden get one of the unique city art slots. :lol:
They sould share with Poland, Georgia, and Russia with the Baltic style since they are the most Baltic.
Mali needs its own unique style. :D
Canada can get Americas but with a different palace for reasons.

They sould share with Poland, Georgia, and Russia with the Baltic style since they are the most Baltic.
But Malian architecture has been in the game since vanilla. If anything, it's Kongo and the Zulus who need a new style, as the Sahelian city set they're using is painfully inaccurate. Second worse misuse of architecture after Brazil, really. The fact that the Kongo city set contrasts so dramatically with its own unique district, as well as Mvemba's background, is enough to make you wonder why Firaxis didn't just give them the Egyptian set and skip African architectural (mis)representation entirely. It's completely baffling.

It'd be like adding Brazil but not having the Aztecs until the 2nd expansion, but still inexplicably creating a unique Mesoamerican art set solely for Brazil (and La Venta!).

Based on the equestrian orders card, I would have thought for sure they were going to have some dual resource units - namely knights needing iron and horsies. Why on earth would you make such a card include iron in the first place? To build more swordsmen in the middle ages? And why give england's WotW ability a boost to iron in addition to coal? Surely, there has got to be a use for what is practically the base element of the modern world (steel) somewhere past the classical if that knight screenshot is going to hold up.

You fanatics are doing great piping in every last frame from these streams! :goodjob:

Well, for WotW there's an Iron bonus in for it to have an impact in the earlier eras, not just in Industrial forward

Based on the equestrian orders card, I would have thought for sure they were going to have some dual resource units - namely knights needing iron and horsies. Why on earth would you make such a card include iron in the first place? To build more swordsmen in the middle ages? And why give england's WotW ability a boost to iron in addition to coal? Surely, there has got to be a use for what is practically the base element of the modern world (steel) somewhere past the classical if that knight screenshot is going to hold up.

You fanatics are doing great piping in every last frame from these streams! :goodjob:

Maybe a good use for all that accumulated Iron by the industial/modern eras is to build Railroads.

Agreed. I actually feel a bit silly I've got worked up of Knights etc. Probably better to just wait and see...

I haven't paid much attention to this specific detail in the game, but it would make much more sense to share the one that Norway and/or Germany has than a Eastern European style.

So Maori and Mali both can't get new sets?

I just had a thought that if the Maori were in GS, then surely Rapa Nui would have a brand new Polynesian art style:

View attachment 510856

But it looks like Rapa Nui uses the South-East Asian graphics with an unusual amount of Ancient Era huts. This does not bode well for unique Maori city art.

Or maybe it's still early in development, meaning we probably won't see a Maori reveal anytime soon. I'm hoping it's that.
Maybe the Maori get the Mapuche treatment then, too. A palace and just ancient huts.

But Malian architecture has been in the game since vanilla. If anything, it's Kongo and the Zulus who need a new style, as the Sahelian city set they're using is painfully inaccurate.
Maybe since it's the Kongo is why it doesn't look Sahelian to me at all.
Maybe the Maori get the Mapuche treatment then, too. A palace and just ancient huts.
If anything Rapa Nui would need that set. They are both from Chile anyway.;)

I'm not following everyone else's replies, so maybe I'm misreading you, but are you saying that the new palace for Hungary means that they got one of the new city sets? If so, I don't think that's the case - I'm pretty sure Hungary's city buildings weren't new, so that leaves both new city sets unrevealed. I think.

Also, to address someone else's point about Rapa Nui, just because we didn't see new buildings in this build doesn't mean that they won't get a new city set. Art assets can be completed pretty late.

I'm not following everyone else's replies, so maybe I'm misreading you, but are you saying that the new palace for Hungary means that they got one of the new city sets? If so, I don't think that's the case - I'm pretty sure Hungary's city buildings weren't new, so that leaves both new city sets unrevealed. I think.
The "Eastern European" city buildings that we have been seeing in the new screenshots are definitely new. There's no question about it. But this has nothing to do with Hungary's palace graphic.

Also, to address someone else's point about Rapa Nui, just because we didn't see new buildings in this build doesn't mean that they won't get a new city set. Art assets can be completed pretty late.
This is true.

Just adding a pic with clear view of Hungarian palace. I think there is some already in this thread, but the view is sort of blocked by taller industrial era buildings... But as some people already mentioned, I don't remember seeing such architectonical style of city-center buildings before either.

Hungarian Palace.png

Top Bottom