[GS] Gathering Storm Screenshots Discussion Thread

Since the ME needs to be in a tile adjacent to the mountain, I assume you'd spend 1 charge to build a tunnel straight through the mountain to the tile on the opposite side of the mountain's hex. I also expect, therefore, that you can only build a tunnel 1 tile long.

Maybe you'll need to expand TWO charges to make the tunnel ? one for the entrance, and one for the exit ?
Since the ME needs to be in a tile adjacent to the mountain, I assume you'd spend 1 charge to build a tunnel straight through the mountain to the tile on the opposite side of the mountain's hex. I also expect, therefore, that you can only build a tunnel 1 tile long.
The 'opposite side' of the mountain's hex may be very well mountain too. For example if you have mountain ranges connected like the Daimler or Peace symbol (in the 3 directions of the grid) you have 3 potential portals to the central mountain tile (on the tiles inbetween).

So I suppose, in general another ME approaches 'the mountain' from one of the 3 opposite sides and also creates his portal ... so both teams meet finally deep in the mountain (opaque in the game) - @Siptah probably can name movies containing such a great moment (Gotthard?).

I assume we'll spend 3(?) niter to build a portal to the mountain. Boom goes the dynamite ...
I also expect, that you can only build a tunnel 1 tile long. Maybe with a branch there?!

So I suppose, in general another ME approaches 'the mountain' from one of the 3 opposite sides and also creates his portal ... so both teams meet finally deep in the mountain (opaque in the game) - @Siptah probably can name movies containing such a great moment (Gotthard?).
That's the way modern tunnels are usually build, and both Gotthard tunnels (car and railway) as well. It would be nice if Firaxis chose this approach that you can place entrance and exit with 2 charges.

I don't know the movie/series about the old tunnel, actually, and also no other about tunneling. I've seen footage of the breakthrough for the railway tunnel though (short version), and the driller rests just a walk alway nowadays.

Reactions: cvb
Reference a Great (Railroad) Engineer:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel for his sheer, unmatched versatility: he could add bonuses to tunnels, bridges, canals, shipbuilding (shipyard bonus?)
Jawn Henry for the specific railroad tunnel reference, and for the music
But for the quintessential (and real) railroad tunnel engineer, may I present:
Samuel S. Montague
He was the Chief Engineer in the building of the Central Pacific Railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains out of California - the western 'end' of the first North American transcontinental railroad. Without dynamite or power machinery, he probably directed the building of more railroad tunnels in a shorter time than any man before or since. If you've ever ridden the Amtrak route from Oakland to Chicago you will get an awe-inspiring view of his work.

I'm hoping that they change the cost for building roads with the Military Engineer. One charge per tile on a unit that only has 2 charges is just a waste.

They tried to match the colors to civs, but it didnt work well - two white pieces about the same size. Horrible.
Well, I think that's a kink in the team jersey system, which they said still has some bugs.

I agree that the charts are ugly, but they seem quite functional.

Reference a Great (Railroad) Engineer:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel for his sheer, unmatched versatility: he could add bonuses to tunnels, bridges, canals, shipbuilding (shipyard bonus?)
Jawn Henry for the specific railroad tunnel reference, and for the music
But for the quintessential (and real) railroad tunnel engineer, may I present:
Samuel S. Montague
He was the Chief Engineer in the building of the Central Pacific Railroad through the Sierra Nevada Mountains out of California - the western 'end' of the first North American transcontinental railroad. Without dynamite or power machinery, he probably directed the building of more railroad tunnels in a shorter time than any man before or since. If you've ever ridden the Amtrak route from Oakland to Chicago you will get an awe-inspiring view of his work.
Then of course for railroad Great Merchant you have Cornelius Vanderbilt.

I'm guessing sort of the opposite - that you essentially put as many 'entrances/exits' as you want on a mountain chain, and when you go in one you can come out any other (on the same mountain chain). My guess is it's a re-use of the airport code or something like that where you essentially can 'teleport' to any other square with a tunnel touching the same mountain chain.

Was there any mention of new Great People in GS? We surely get new ones for the future era.
Adding 1 of those per age and category wouldn't be hard. I think this would improve the game with slightly more randomness which GP are available. And a few new abilities, for example related to new mechanics, wouldn't hurt.

Then of course for railroad Great Merchant you have Cornelius Vanderbilt.

Ah, but 'the Commodore' got his start by monopolizing coastal sea traffic, so he's another 'Double Threat Great Person" - bonuses to both Sea and Railroad Trade

Was there any mention of new Great People in GS? We surely get new ones for the future era.
Adding 1 of those per age and category wouldn't be hard. I think this would improve the game with slightly more randomness which GP are available. And a few new abilities, for example related to new mechanics, wouldn't hurt.

I would certainly hope that they haven't overlooked that. With the new emphasis on or addition of Sea Trade Routes, Canals and Railroads, as we have been discussing, there is now scope for a raft of new 'specific' Great Engineers and Great Merchants, at the least:

Canals Great Engineers:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Ferdinand de Lessups
Railroad Great Engineers:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Grenville Dodge
Railroad Tunnel Great Engineers:
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Samual S. Montague
Railroad Trade Great Merchants:
Cornelius Vanderbilt
Jay Gould
Sea Trade Great Merchants:
Cornelius Vanderbilt
Hippalus (Greek who discovered the Monsoon Winds for trade with India)
Peter Maersk-Moller (modern containerized shipping)- and those are just off the top of my head: do a little research, Firaxis, and get back to us - or reveal it...

So diplomatic favour is spent on votes in an arithmetic series. Casting the Nth vote on one resolution costs 10 favor more than the (N-1)st vote, and the first vote is free?

I cant imagine how it will look like beyond 5 civs.

I sometimes play games with 30+ civs in, I can't imagine how the pie chart will look then. :lol: And after GS releases I hope to play a TSL map with around 40 civs. :crazyeye:

If you conquer a city, will the past CO2 emissions of that city be counted towards your emissions? Or can eliminated civs continue to be present in the pie chart?

I'm hoping that they change the cost for building roads with the Military Engineer. One charge per tile on a unit that only has 2 charges is just a waste.

Well, I think that's a kink in the team jersey system, which they said still has some bugs.

I agree that the charts are ugly, but they seem quite functional.

Especially with railroads just costing resources to build and no charge, feels like a road should also be no charge, although there's no resource that really makes sense for them. I did also notice that when railroads unlock, there's no "build road" button on military engineers anymore.

Is Cluttered Pie Chart a Casus Belli?

It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything because if I had been I'd have had to buy a new keyboard now.

No...it's a Rock Band name :scan:

And again.

Especially with railroads just costing resources to build and no charge, feels like a road should also be no charge, although there's no resource that really makes sense for them. I did also notice that when railroads unlock, there's no "build road" button on military engineers anymore.

Maybe they just cost gold? That would make sense in my opinion. Pay X gold for a road on this tile, no charge expended.

Top Bottom