Gen. Rommel's Mighty Unit Emporium - A Unit Preview Thread

Those are all so cool! Whats the ETA on these? :)
Hope you finish the german axeman soon, i could use it for a german UU in the ancient age!

NOOOO! Vikings NEVER EVER AT ANY POINT wore horns on their helmets! Only in bad movies and swedish comics!

*cough* ;)

Later Medieval knights wore helmet decorations as part of their coat of arms, but only for tournament. They would be too cumbersome and even dangerous in battle.

Sorry, I guess you can say I'm a victim of hollywood (along with a few others here probably :mischief:). Well regardless, I would still love to see the horns on the helmet removed...not that it's a bad unit. Just needs to be tweaked a bit :).

For what it's worth, I'd prefer no horns & the simple cross heraldry on the Teutonic Knight (historical accuracy and all that...).

Swargey said:
These units are great, I like the Teutonic Knight especially but what are the horns for?

Bjornlo said:
I disagree with Ares' suggested changes to the knight to a degree. I think the minor inaccuracies will make it more interesting to look at.

Stormrage said:
Ares, teh knights are borring if not pimped out

For what it's worth, I'd prefer no horns

Alright, it seems like the majority wants the horns removed, but some still would prefer to have them on. Since removing them would make it look too much like this Templar unit I'm working on, I will make a compromise. I will make the Teutonic Knight with and without the horns (so everyone's preference is covered). I fealt the horns made it distinctly Teutonic since I know of no other knights that "generally" wore horns on their helmets (even if it was only for heraldric purposes).

Bjornlo said:
The exception would be the shield, it is almost certainly going to look too busy at civ scale.

Grandraem said:
Here I was about to argue that the shield is the one thing I disagree with Ares about and Bjornlo goes and agrees about the shield.

Plotinus said:
I would be inclined to agree with Bjornlo about the shield. Sometimes small detail can look OK at civ scale, even though the details are lost, but sometimes it can just look a bit confusing.

& the simple cross heraldry on the Teutonic Knight (historical accuracy and all that...).

Alright, I was actually not going to use that shield design for the footman Teutonic unit at all. Actually, the footman unit will look mostly like this guy here but with a much simpler shield design:
Spoiler :

The shield design he's currently using is actually for a totally different unit. I am going to make a Teutonic rider knight, based on this model:

Spoiler :

And I WILL be making this unit exactly as in the pics. I am making this unit for myself, so I will not be compromising the artwork look (I love the way it looks and the colors make it very vivid, which is much to my liking). I will consider making a more historically accurate version, however, but that's still in the future anyways, so don't worry about it yet. That should clear anything about the Teutonic knight out of the way for now. :crazyeye:

Ares de Borg said:
Well, you know you opened Pandora's box now. I will harass you with more Germanic requests.

Of course I will be making a whole lot more Germanic units! I love the look of them, so you can bet I'll be more than willing to make units that you offer good unit art for. As you can figure, I usually only make unit requests if some really nice artwork is offered as reference. If not, I usually won't bother (just as a note to everyone).

Plotinus said:
That was indeed me... If you've started a thread you can change the title yourself for the first few minutes (I don't know exactly how long).

Good to know! And here I was thinking the whole time that I'm as helpless as a fish on land once I've created the thread. I'll be sure to refrain from bothering you with that in the future.

These look very promising. Very promising start! But, do not forget about CIV colors. It is usually best to plan that bit out before hand and not try to fit it in later.

Although it might seem like it hasn't been taken into consideration yet, I have already planned out which elements will become civ-colored before really finishing each unit. I don't know how apparent it really is to bystanders, but there are certain elements that are all made exactly so they can be untextured (;)) and then civcolored.

Cimbri said:
Any chance of German Schutztruppe or Askari in the near future? For those with imperial ambitions outside Europe, of course.

You bet your caboose these will be made!

No horns. Hehe... :lol:
This breaks the tie!

No, but thank you for pointing that one out, it might have a place in my Fantasy mode when I make it (both the unit, and the mod ;))

Actually, didn't Kal-El draw up an African cavalry unit with a mock-rhino head?

Of course I will be making a whole lot more Germanic units! I love the look of them, so you can bet I'll be more than willing to make units that you offer good unit art for. As you can figure, I usually only make unit requests if some really nice artwork is offered as reference. If not, I usually won't bother (just as a note to everyone).
Where in the Sam Hill are them concept arts that Zulu had? He was in the process of making one of them into a unit, and never finished dang him! (I'll edit this post if I find them).

Ahah, found em:

Battle of Teutoburg Forest:

Battle of Teutoburg Forest, again:

Fifth Century Goth:

(from this thread)

Sehr ordentlich! Weiter so! ;)

But seriously, I cannot express how much I appreciate your work - and you haven't even released them as units yet!

Top Bottom