Votes: 21 51.2%
  • I know a little about Germany

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Colonel Klink,I know nossink!

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Jumbo2002, You got the 1, 3 and 4 right. The 1 and 4 were already given before.
:king:

The answer is the Vandals to SKM's question.

Also, leave out the anti-US editorials from polls, and let's keep the questions in English.

Next Question:

Name the German cruiser that sank more merchantmen than any other in WWI.

I dont think its your turn to ask a question, AoA (you seemed to have skipped page 2) but since you did ...

I guess the Moltke. I was going to say Blucher, but I think its the former.

Julien - Did anyone get all 5?

If not, I am making this my "final answer".

1 -Aachen, Germany
2 -Charles
3 -Ribbentrop (I should have known that...)
4 -Bismark
5 -16

Wow, the "final answer"...... Anyway I had gotten 1 and 4 already. ;)
I think it's Charles V for no 2?

:) Joespaniel, You have all answers right, except the second. I didn't imagine it was so difficult.

2) Henry IV was excommunicated by Pope Gregory VII "through the power he received from the Apostle and Christ himself" . Note that the bishops who supported him were excommunicated as well. Henry was thus officially incapable of governing, go to church, have funerals or receive any other sacrements. Accused by its partisans of tyrannic cruaulty, Gergory VII had to give his pardon to Henry. After that, Henry IV continued his struggle against the pope, was excommunicated a second time, took Rome and elected an anti-Pope (Clement III) who crowned Henry emperor again :king:. Pope Gregory VII escaped in the Normand ruled South of Italy, where he later died.

5) the German Laender are the following : Niedersachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Sachsen, Thueringe, Schlewig-Holstein, Mecklemburg-Vorpommern, Brandenburg, Hesse, Rheinland-Westfallen, Rheinland-Pfalz, Saarland, Baden-Wuertenberg, Bayern, Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen. So 16 alltogether. Hamburg and Bremen might disappear soon to join Niedersachsen, I have heard. They are city-state originating from the Middle-ages Hanse Staedte (part of the Baltic Hanse, which was a commercial confederation of cities of Scandinavia, the Baltic and Northern Germany and Poland). So, nowadays their proud to be indepenant city-state are somewhat old-fashioned. It's like if Florence or Venice asked a city-sate status in modern Italy.

Nobody got the 5 answers right, so I ask another, easier, question :

When did the second Reich start and by which treaty ?

Originally posted by joespaniel
I dont think its your turn to ask a question, AoA (you seemed to have skipped page 2) but since you did ...
Second page didn't display, for some reason, so I never saw it.
And moderators can ask questions ANY time, and if they are ignored, it's at the poster's peril. ;)

I guess the Moltke. I was going to say Blucher, but I think its the former.
The correct answer is Emden

When did the second Reich start and by which treaty ?
Just a guess, but i will say 1871 by the treaty of Paris ending Franc-Prussian war of 1870.

Just a guess, but i will say 1871 by the treaty of Paris ending Franc-Prussian war of 1870.

That's right. It was more accurately the treaty of Versailles (near Paris).

And moderators can ask questions ANY time, and if they are ignored, it's at the poster's peril.

Is that a new kind of tyranny ?:lol: (it's not the next question ; our well-loved Tyran has the non-privilege to ask the next question for his correct answer).

Originally posted by Julien
Is that a new kind of tyranny ?:lol: (it's not the next question ; our well-loved Tyran has the non-privilege to ask the next question for his correct answer).
All kidding aside, we have had to many complaints about spammers and wise guys, and TF gave the big smack down to 3 of them just recently.
This site IS a tyranny, and it's dictator is Thunderfall, and his moderators are his agents.
When we say things, ignore them and it causes problems.

Some people thought differently because we were leniet, now they know better.

Back to the quiz:

Name the German ruler who died during the second crusade, and how he met his demise.

"Name the German ruler who died during the second crusade, and how he met his demise."

I think it was Conrad III, but I dont have any clue how he bit it.

"Name the German ruler who died during the second crusade, and how he met his demise."

Otto II? I seem to remember reading somewhere that one German monarch who went on the Crusades died while crossing a river on the way to the Holy Land (long before he reached the Mid-east; somewhere in the Balkans).

He's much more famous than dear Otto or Conrad.

In fact Hitler thought enough of him to name his attack on Russia after him.....

Very good, SKM, it is indeed Frederick Barbarossa. :goodjob:

You also where close as to his demise, his horse fell on him, and he died from the injuries sustained soon after.

Next question's on me. Heehee.

Who said "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire"?

No idea who's Mike Myers or what's SNL. :confused:
Clue : That person was not a German. Yes, I know. Some clue. :D

Well, I don't remember who actually said the "original" line about the Holy Roman Empire. Something tells me it was Henry Kissinger, but that's just a random guess.

But...regarding my answer:

Mike Myers is a comedian/actor who, for several years, was a member of Saturday Night Live - a television skit show. In one of the recurring skits, "Coffee Talk" he played a woman who would become emotionally overwhelmed: fahrklempt . Anyway, he would always say: "I'm getting fahrklempt...talk amongst yourselves! I'll give you a topic: the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an empire. Discuss!"

There were other such phrases that were chosen for different skits, but I can't remember any of them.

Learnt something new everytime I come around these forums. :)

Maybe my question is a little too wide-ranging. How's this : -

2nd clue - The person said it (or wrote it) when the Holy Roman Empire was still in existense.

Could it have been the pope who excommunicated what's-his-name instead of crowning him?

(I really ought to look up the names, but am too lazy at the moment... :rolleyes: )

Top Bottom