Giant Death Robots With Atomic Bombs

This continues to be an interesting read. Keep it up!

:goodjob:
Thank you very much!

Wow, fantastic. Not only did you encounter America, you encountered them last!
I have to admit, I was super excited when I realized what had happened. I didn't realize that they were the 22nd civ until I founded the World Congress the following turn.

Also, Venice was embargoed??? Embargo city states next, and Venice should be crippled for life.
I hope so, those Venetian troublemakers have been a thorn in my side from the beginning. I've put in the proposal now.

Random Question: I just built my first aircraft carrier. What do you recommend for Carrier promotions? I get two when I build a carrier in Camelot.

I took one cargo upgrade and one defense upgrade for that 1st carrier, but I'm sure I'll be building more carriers before the end of the game.

Well, I tend to just put the Flight Deck I and II promotions on my Carriers, and then make sure they're protected by other ships. However, I'm certainly not an expert, so I won't guarantee that this is really the best choice.

Yeah, I tend to get the extra aircraft slots when I build them (I don't know optimal carrier play though). You just need to be careful that they don't die if you do this. Carriers do have a fair bit of health, but watch out for enemy subs, mostly (make sure to get a couple destroyers or subs of your own). You can save a bunch of hammers by getting the +aircraft slots, but if one carrier goes down with 4 aircrafts in it, that's far worse than if a carrier goes down with 2 aircrafts in it.

Well, I tend to just put the Flight Deck I and II promotions on my Carriers, and then make sure they're protected by other ships. However, I'm certainly not an expert, so I won't guarantee that this is really the best choice.

Yeah, I tend to get the extra aircraft slots when I build them (I don't know optimal carrier play though). You just need to be careful that they don't die if you do this. Carriers do have a fair bit of health, but watch out for enemy subs, mostly (make sure to get a couple destroyers or subs of your own). You can save a bunch of hammers by getting the +aircraft slots, but if one carrier goes down with 4 aircrafts in it, that's far worse than if a carrier goes down with 2 aircrafts in it.

Thanks! (to both of you)
The consensus seems pretty clear. I'll concentrate my aircraft and just make sure that they are well defended.

Do you have plans for exporting your democracy? Getting the world congress to vote for freedom as world ideology shouldn't be too hard.

Do you have plans for exporting your democracy? Getting the world congress to vote for freedom as world ideology shouldn't be too hard.

Indeed! Exporting freedom and liberty by any means necessary is my top priority. I haven't finished my next update yet, but (spoiler?) I was able to get the World Congress to approve Freedom as the world ideology. It sure did cost a lot of gold per turn to secure the votes, though.

Indeed! Exporting freedom and liberty by any means necessary is my top priority. I haven't finished my next update yet, but (spoiler?) I was able to get the World Congress to approve Freedom as the world ideology. It sure did cost a lot of gold per turn to secure the votes, though.

Success! You spread freedom to the entire world :D

Update #9:
Turns 200 – 240 (1940 AD)

●●●●●America the Beautiful●●●●●
Swedish soldiers eventually impressed the American president with their courage, and even more so with their state-of-the-art bombers. America graciously agreed to accept the lands of Sweden as a minor American territory and to henceforth make all important decisions for the Swedes. The Swedish people of Camelot were so grateful, they commissioned the Statue of Liberty as a gift for the American president. From that day forth, Sweden ceased to be an independent nation. The historical simulation’s interface continues to display the country of America as “Sweden,” but I’m hoping this glitch will be corrected in the fall patch. (All American cities have been conquered by Sweden).

NOTE: From this point on, I will use “America” and “Sweden” interchangeably to refer to my civilization.

●●●●●The Wonders of Swedish-America●●●●●
Aside from that interface glitch, I have detected one actual difference between the historical simulation and real history. Thankfully, it is very superficial. According to the historical simulation, the Great Engineer Charles Stark Draper appeared on the map in 1870 AD and completed the Brandenburg Gate in Camelot. In the real world, Mr. Draper appeared in 1960 AD and completed the Brandenburg Gate in New York City while in the employ of the Sterling Cooper firm. I have confirmed that this minor variance will not affect the rest of the simulation.

Great Engineer Leonardo Da Vinci was an inventor in the Renaissance era, but he produced many designs that were centuries ahead of their time. His inventions include the helicopter, the scuba diving suit, a cryptic code shrouded in Judo-Christian mystery, and according to this simulation, the Hubble Space Telescope. His designs were finally used to construct and launch the telescope in 1940 AD. Sadly, Leonardo did not receive recognition for his designs during his own lifetime. He instead chose to live a life of obscurity in the sewers with three other mutant anthropomorphic turtles.

Today many Americans are justifiably angry and resentful of immigrants for working jobs, pumping billions of dollars into our local economies, and raising the standard of living for everyone. However, did you know that that some immigrants were actually responsible some of the good things in America as well? It’s true! For example, Great Engineer Henry Ford immigrated to Swedish-America from Hanoi immediately after election fraud reduced the influence of his family’s pro-America faction. He is sometimes called the “Gift from Hanoi” in recognition of his famous assembly-line process that led to the construction of the Pentagon (Completed Patronage Policy Tree, received Great Engineer from Hanoi).

America (including its Swedish territories) entered the Information Age and was almost [[/B]a full technological era ahead of its rivals[/B] at this point in the simulation. If I am remembering my history correctly, the US is about to reduce investments to internal development substantially in order to allocate more resources towards spreading freedom to as many oppressed people as possible.
Spoiler :

Not all of the scientific advances of this period were for the benefit of mankind. Some twisted scientist, no doubt of ethnic Moroccan descent, perfected a technique for extracting valuable metals from a living human (a process that was certainly both agonizing and fatal). I am ashamed to admit that my own country may have performed such an unspeakable act on captured prisoners of war, but unfortunately I have no other explanation for what the historical simulation has shown me (Completed Honor Tree, receive gold whenever an enemy unit is destroyed).

●●●●●The Horrors of Order and Autocracy●●●●●
Germany once commanded the most powerful military in the world according to the simulation’s demographics screen, and it had been supported by an alliance of several like-minded nations (dubbed “the Axis of Evil” by one of the King Lancelots). But as we all know, Germany lost badly during the World Wars. Swedish-America bribed the Ottomans to attack Germany, and the unstoppable Turkish horde captured Berlin after destroying the Carthaginians. The German government escaped Berlin’s fall but is unlikely to hold out much longer.

The Turk’s centuries of military victories apparently created enough popular support for the power-hungry Ottoman leader to declare himself Supreme Lord Commander of the Ottoman Empire (Autocracy). Thankfully, the simulation’s diplomacy screen reports that all civilized nations have rejected The Empire’s oppressive ideology and their slightly homoerotic national sport of Yağlı güreş (Oiled Wrestling). Now the Empire exists as rogue nation with no friends and with many denouncements, but it is a rogue nation with a very powerful military and a special talent for conquest.

Germany’s decline paved the way for Venice to dominate the Axis of Evil. After the Proletariat seized power from the Merchant-Princes of old (Venetian Order Ideology), Venice successfully allied with every surviving nation in the Western Hemisphere (Zulu, Babylon, and Byzantium). Well-crafted Venetian propaganda has convinced these misguided fools to denounce multiple members of the Coalition of the Willing, and the Zulu have already rebuild their government based on Communist ideals (Zulu Order Ideology). America and its Swedish territories attempted to slow the Venetian juggernaut through diplomatic resolutions, but Venice continues to rise in power. Despite the complete Venice Embargo and the complete City-State Embargo, Venice has assimilated two city-states, captured half of Spain (the city of Barcelona), completely Conquered Portugal (three cities), and now controls the majority of Asia.

Fortunately, the other nations appear to be firmly on the side of freedom.
  • Polynesia has already created a bitterly feuding bicameral legislature and multiple corrupt political parties, and is almost ready to implement other, less significant elements of Democracy such as fair and free elections (Polynesian Freedom Ideology).
  • The World Congress established a Universal Declaration of Human Rights that, among other things, establishes freedom as a basic human right (World Ideology: Freedom).
  • Three of the five remaining nations have made a Declaration of Friendship with both Polynesia and my Americans (Ethiopia, the Netherlands, and Spain). The fourth nation, Arabia, enjoys Friendly relations with the followers of freedom.
  • The last nation, the Shoshone, is difficult to predict from the information in the simulation. They have denounced all three Ideological Founders (Venice, the Ottomans, and Swedish-America). But even though the Shoshone Denounced Sweden/America, they continue to renew their Declarations of Friendship with the other members of the freedom-leaning Coalition of the Willing. [/I](Note: The exact reason that the Shoshone denounced Sweden/America after so many years of friendship has been lost to history. That said, we can make reasonable inferences based on our understanding of human nature. Since the people of today are only able to reach this extreme, uncontrollable level of rage when they discover a minor grammatical error on someone’s internet post, we can conclude that they Shoshone’s denouncement was probably also typo-induced)[/I]

●●●●●Defending Freedom from the Zulu Communists●●●●●
America and her Swedish territories were clearly committed to defending freedom in all nations, even the small independent ones. America had formally agreed to protect all 15 minor nations, and had even agreed to official alliances with 12 of them. So when the freedom-hating Zulu communists demanded tribute from our Bucharest allies (which coincidently occurred while America’s military was well-positioned for an invasion), the US had no choice but to Declare War on the Zulu[ to protect its ally. These colors don’t run.

Unrelated: A picture of large oil deposits within the Zulu’s borders

Spoiler :

The Americans discussed the situation with her allies and convinced the Portuguese, the Ethiopians, and the Polynesians to begin a joint military action in 10 turns. After all, American military doctrine clearly states that unilateral action is never acceptable unless the other nations refuse to join the proposed invasion.

●●●●●A World At War: The South-American Front●●●●●
The Zulus sent one major counter-offensive by land…
Spoiler :

And another by sea…
Spoiler :

And their infantry units had mastered all three elite Impi fighting styles from ages past…
Spoiler :

But none of that mattered because the Americans had eight bombers (supported by three fighters, three carriers, two battleships, a destroyer, and an embarked tank regiment). Long story short, the Zulu army is in shambles. The Americans have Liberated the City-State of Ormus and will soon march on the other Zulu cities.

●●●●●Other Notes●●●●●
  • Completed Statue of Liberty, Brandenburg Gate, and Hubble Space Telescope.
  • Conquered America in South America, and at war with the Zulu (also in South America). The Zulu are not expected to survive much longer due to my superior air force. They have a few Great War Bombers but no real airpower to speak of.
  • Policies: Universal Sufferage, Cultural Diplomacy. Happiness increases from -1 to 35 in one turn.
  • More Policies: Completed Patronage, Completed Honor
  • Ideologies: Freedom (America/Sweden, Polynesia); Order (Venice, Zulu); Autocracy (Ottomans)
  • Am gradually allying more and more city-states with various quests + gold + Arsenal of Diplomacy. I have currently allied 12 out of 15.
  • Convinced the Portuguese, the Ethiopians, and the Polynesians to declare war on the Zulus with me.
  • Invested significant gold in upgrading military after Professional Army policy + Pentagon. Primitive units were gifted to city-states, remaining army has been modernized.
  • The Shoshone denounced me, and are friends with most or all of my friends.
  • Venice allied all three empires in the Americas. I believe all three have denounced me (at very least they are ‘Guarded’ with me).
  • Lots of people are getting conquered by the big guys (the Ottomans & Venice). Carthage fell, Portugal fell, Germany has effectively fallen. Maybe some others that I forgot to write down or wasn't paying attention to. The game’s speed and intensity are increasing.

The World Mini-Map and South American Liberation Fleet, 1940 AD

●●●●●General Analysis●●●●●
I have an impressive tech advantage right now, but I can't get complacent. The overwhelming advantage that I am experiencing against the Zulu will be somewhat lost once my opponents get Radio (fighters). Also, my real opponents (the Ottomans and the Venetians) are more advanced than the Zulu and have many more units. I think that I am in a strong position, but I must maintain momentum while I can and attempt to transform this temporary tech advantage into a permanent numerical advantage in order to win the game.

I am also striving to maintain positive diplomatic relations for as long as I can with as many empires as I can. This is a 22 civilization game. I think that my new bomber squadrons could defeat any one nation at a time, but I think that a war against everyone would have good chance of overwhelming me eventually.

Sweden’s unique ability is very subtle, but I think it is the main reason that I skyrocketed in tech and military power over the last forty turns. I have maintained 5 - 7 friendships for most of this game, which translates into a 50% to 70% increase in Great People. My great scientists were instrumental in rocketing me to key techs, which usually then gave me something that allowed me to get more science. Every wonder that I have built successfully was built with a Great Engineer (and in the case of the Hubble Telescope, then created even more Great Scientists to repeat the pattern).

Also, arsenal of Democracy is beyond amazing. There are no words. The Honor finisher has also been very useful in junction with my bombers and the Zulu horde. I probably earned 1000 – 2000 gold in just a handful of turns from killing units, which I then spent on upgrading other units. End result: much stronger military.

On a personal note, I am really enjoying this "Tall Empire Domination"-style game, which I guess is what this game has evolved into. I usually don't like going for domination victories because everyone quickly hates me and I feel like I'm just playing a war game (not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not my style). With this game, I felt like I was able to balance conquest with diplomacy, trade, and peaceful development, and that I could be successful in each of them as long I advanced in slow, manageable increments. It's been fascinating to balance everything and a lot of fun to play.

My strategy for the rest of the game is to blitzkrieg through as much of the western hemisphere as I can with bombers and tanks while my military in African plays a defensive game. At that point, my real opponents (the Ottomans and Venice) will have nukes and could be well on their way to Giant Robots. That’s when the true fate of the Earth will be determined – and it will be determined by nightmarish weapons of mad science that bring unimaginable destruction wherever they battle.

democracy to me is the second best for taking over the world. keep up the great work!

At that point, my real opponents (the Ottomans and Venice) will have nukes and could be well on their way to Giant Robots. That’s when the true fate of the Earth will be determined – and it will be determined by nightmarish weapons of mad science that bring unimaginable destruction wherever they battle.

And then this thread's name will begin to take effect?

Anyway, great read so far. Good luck for the rest!

Awesome, we needed another dose of Swedish-American freedom in the world. Looking forward to the major confrontation with the Axis of Evil, no Cold War this time I hope. after you tackle Venice or even before you might consider repealing CS embargo, since you will need the gold once you start bringing freedom and liberty to your friends and not just the enemies.

And then this thread's name will begin to take effect?
:) I suppose the thread's name has become something like the Buddhist view of Nirvana: unobtainable, but with great virtue in the attempt. But I think that Suleiman and the old money man will be able to give me a run for my giant robot money yet.

democracy to me is the second best for taking over the world.
I admit, I've been pretty impressed with it so far. Arsenal of Democracy really keeps city-states on my side while I wage war.

Awesome, we needed another dose of Swedish-American freedom in the world. Looking forward to the major confrontation with the Axis of Evil, no Cold War this time I hope. after you tackle Venice or even before you might consider repealing CS embargo, since you will need the gold once you start bringing freedom and liberty to your friends and not just the enemies.
Excellent suggestion, as usual. That hadn't occurred to me. I will propose the repeal during the next session of the world congress.

keep up the great work!
Thanks!

Ditto.

As for strategy, after you're done with the Zulus, I think that once you get close to the stealth bombers/nukes/death robots point, you should start your massive future warring. Start with Suleiman, as he's a warmonger, close to you, and nobody likes him. Then you can move on to Venice and their allies, and then the rest of the world until everyone can experience the basic right of humanity that is Swedish-American freedom. I think you can do it, aided by the power of completely non-corrupt democracy, King Lancelot the 9.0*10 to the 500000th, and the fact that you're a human with military strategy incredibly better than the terrible AI.

First of all, isn't full out patronage awesome? You get so much science from city states, and the great people are extra sweet for Sweden, as sometimes you'll get that great admiral and be a bit disappointed with it, but with Sweden that isn't the worst thing in the world.

Secondly, when your enemy gets to nukes, be very careful with bombers. I've had entire airfleets wiped out and clear advances completely destroyed before by a single well placed nuke (which the AI can even do sometimes). When the enemy gets nukes, spread out your airfleets as much as possible, put bombers in some spread out aircraft carriers if possible, and do whatever you can to make any strike less damaging. Ignoring the 1 unit per tile rule makes bombers immensely powerful, but also makes them very vulnerable to nukes.

Third, once you get to future tech, do science buildings do anything other than take up gold? I don't actually know the answer to this, but I'm curious to know if selling all of your science buildings when you reach future tech is a good idea. I wouldn't do this before figuring this out for sure though.

Also one thng I noticed before, you walk your GPs to CS borders and gift them through units menu, correct?

You know you can use gift unit tab inside CS info screen and then select GP to gift, ar at least you could in GK, I expect things to have stayed the same.

Third, once you get to future tech, do science buildings do anything other than take up gold? I don't actually know the answer to this, but I'm curious to know if selling all of your science buildings when you reach future tech is a good idea. I wouldn't do this before figuring this out for sure though.

I actually did that in my story, although I didn't mention it anywhere. I don't know if they do you any good in the future eras, but I deleted as many as I could anyway.

Ditto.

As for strategy, after you're done with the Zulus, I think that once you get close to the stealth bombers/nukes/death robots point, you should start your massive future warring. Start with Suleiman, as he's a warmonger, close to you, and nobody likes him. Then you can move on to Venice and their allies, and then the rest of the world until everyone can experience the basic right of humanity that is Swedish-American freedom. I think you can do it, aided by the power of completely non-corrupt democracy, King Lancelot the 9.0*10 to the 500000th, and the fact that you're a human with military strategy incredibly better than the terrible AI.
Agreed. The Ottomans have grown unchecked for far too long. They are priority #1.

First of all, isn't full out patronage awesome? You get so much science from city states, and the great people are extra sweet for Sweden, as sometimes you'll get that great admiral and be a bit disappointed with it, but with Sweden that isn't the worst thing in the world.
My favorite part of full patronage this game was getting a Merchant of Venice, which I hope to describe in the next update sometime tonight. I feel like I'm now part of a elite group that is entitled to start threads with headings like "Merchant of Venice??????!!! I'm not Venice! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: "

Secondly, when your enemy gets to nukes, be very careful with bombers. I've had entire airfleets wiped out and clear advances completely destroyed before by a single well placed nuke (which the AI can even do sometimes). When the enemy gets nukes, spread out your airfleets as much as possible, put bombers in some spread out aircraft carriers if possible, and do whatever you can to make any strike less damaging. Ignoring the 1 unit per tile rule makes bombers immensely powerful, but also makes them very vulnerable to nukes.
Will do, thanks for the heads up. I have very little experience with modern warfare in civ.

I actually did that in my story, although I didn't mention it anywhere. I don't know if they do you any good in the future eras, but I deleted as many as I could anyway.

It probably is a good idea from a strictly game mechanics perspective, but I'm hesitant to do it for narrative reasons unless I desperatetly need the cash. Swedish-America is haven of freedom and enlightenment! It's hard for me mentally justify book-burning with that.

I don't have a problem with dropping Atomic Bombs on heavily populated areas while Giant Death Robots mop up the survivors, though. Maybe I need to take a good hard look at my priorities.

The only thing future tech does is increase your score as far as I know.

Good to know, thanks.

Also one thng I noticed before, you walk your GPs to CS borders and gift them through units menu, correct?

You know you can use gift unit tab inside CS info screen and then select GP to gift, ar at least you could in GK, I expect things to have stayed the same.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??!!!!! :wallbash: No, I didn't realize that, LOL. Doing it that way would have saved a lot of travel time as well as the hassle of managing the escort troops. Very good to know.

Top Bottom