Giant Earth Map

I don't plan to buy the expansion if the source code is still not released, but if this is moddable (ie True Location names) I'll do my best to add it in the mod.

There are still pending changes on the giant earth, some of them related to rivers, this could be the occasion to review all of them (they are all based on real world rivers, but because of some deformations on the map, they may need tweaking...)

Another thing I am wondering about is if Turkey shouldn't be connected to Europe by land? Currently it seems Constantinople is on the European side and if we get the Ottomans this expansion (Which seems likely based off of the leaks) then having Istanbul/Constantinople appear on the European side will largely cut it off from the actual area in inhabits. It could still make a canal city? I don't know how much discussion went on regarding this in the past before either or why the conclusion came to keeping them separated.

Alternatively you could have the Ottomans start TSL within Turkey itself using one of its older capitals like Bursa or Sogut. But those locations would probably be far less recognizable to people. I can conciously expand out to turkey across the gap if I am playing the Ottomans myself, but I have little confidence that the AI would unassisted without having the land bridge there. They get pretty derpy with settling.

the ability to add a plot of land depending of the presence of a Civ in game is already coded, for example:
Code:
<ExtraPlacement>
   <!-- Copenhaguen TSL -->
   <Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="21" Y="75" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_DENMARK" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" />
</ExtraPlacement>

(and there is already an option to close the strait independently of any civ in the advanced setup screen anyway)

the ability to add a plot of land depending of the presence of a Civ in game is already coded, for example:
Code:
<ExtraPlacement>
   <!-- Copenhaguen TSL -->
   <Replace MapName="GiantEarth" X="21" Y="75" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_DENMARK" TerrainType="TERRAIN_GRASS" />
</ExtraPlacement>

(and there is already an option to close the strait independently of any civ in the advanced setup screen anyway)

Ah, I never noticed the option thanks for telling me!

Jeju (The island south of Korea) has been marked as being on the african continent under the 7 continents model in every game I have played. :p

Quick Q @Gedemon : Where to make the adjustment in GiantEarth when wanting to include another subcontinent / region belonging to i.e. Europe - for instance "Baltica"? Not talking about assigning the individual plots but rather inclusion in the hierarchy Europe << Baltica. Currently, plots assigned "Baltica" will be separate from Europe, whereas Iberia, Scandinavia etc. properly show as Europe when swapping back to 7 continents. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Quick Q @Gedemon : Where to make the adjustment in GiantEarth when wanting to include another subcontinent / region belonging to i.e. Europe - for instance "Baltica"? Not talking about assigning the individual plots but rather inclusion in the hierarchy Europe << Baltica. Currently, plots assigned "Baltica" will be separate from Europe, whereas Iberia, Scandinavia etc. properly show as Europe when swapping back to 7 continents. Many thanks.
ATM it's hardcoded in the ImportCiv6Map function in "..\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Yet (not) Another Maps Pack\Override\AssignStartingPlots.lua"

Just add a line for the continent you want to add in the corresponding section of the code:
Code:
        -- Europe
        local EuropeID = GameInfo.Continents["CONTINENT_EUROPE"].Index
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_SCANDINAVIA"]    = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_IBERIA"]            = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_CAUCASIA"]        = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_BRITTANIA"]        = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_BALKANIA"]        = EuropeID

->

Code:
        -- Europe
        local EuropeID = GameInfo.Continents["CONTINENT_EUROPE"].Index
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_SCANDINAVIA"]    = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_IBERIA"]            = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_CAUCASIA"]        = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_BRITTANIA"]        = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_BALKANIA"]        = EuropeID
        ContinentConvertion["CONTINENT_BALTICA"]        = EuropeID

Reactions: zon
works like a charm - thx so much @Gedemon - happy 1st advent if u celebrate, otherwise just happy seasons :)

This is the map I play most of my Civ games (either this or Continents).

I would want to ask what about changes to this map for Gathering Storm, there will be version I have no doubt - but because of new features will this map be adjusted accordingly. I would say introduce of canal district makes logical to not have any one tile connecting mayor sea/oceans where would making canal have sense. Of course most importantly Suez which would need to be at least two tiles, and panama same or more tiles. Also tunnels would make Mountain ranges probably longer and more connected. Rising sea levels is another concern.

This is the map I play most of my Civ games (either this or Continents).

I would want to ask what about changes to this map for Gathering Storm, there will be version I have no doubt - but because of new features will this map be adjusted accordingly. I would say introduce of canal district makes logical to not have any one tile connecting mayor sea/oceans where would making canal have sense. Of course most importantly Suez which would need to be at least two tiles, and panama same or more tiles. Also tunnels would make Mountain ranges probably longer and more connected. Rising sea levels is another concern.

I don't neccesarily think that it is super important to require these areas to consist of more tiles, especially since the scale is based around it a bit. Stuff that is important though is marking the heights of areas correctly (So that global warming is more realistic) and placing volcanoes in the right place.

i am really curious how GiantEarth.lua will look like GS compatible @Gedemon - we hope u don't retire just yet.

Last edited:
Thanks all (especially @Mobfire) for the suggestions added in the latest update on gitHub.

curious what might make the giant earth map work again under GS - is it simply a graphical memory topic u reckon @Gedemon ? Thanks so much for this!

Like other players, I'm getting a CTD after a while with the Giant Terra maps.
I've been testing very close to the limits - 27civs, 37 CS, no barbs.
Graphic glitches appear before the crash. Reload helps only for a turn or two before recurring.
Good luck! The maps really are beautiful and a delight to play and explore. (I'm not worried about crashes at this stage because of the enjoyable novelties.)
glitch.jpg

same here @Ferocitus , tho without ur graphic glitches prior to CTD. love Giant Earth too much tho not to play it, despite mostly prematurely having to start a new game without finishing old ones.

same here @Ferocitus , tho without ur graphic glitches prior to CTD. love Giant Earth too much tho not to play it, despite mostly prematurely having to start a new game without finishing old ones.

Thanks. I should have posted my observation to the Terra map thread. Apologies.

@Gedemon
I found a way to reliable produce a CTD within round 1 of a Giant Earth session at minimum settings but 2560x1440 resolution windowed mode on my 3440x1440 mon, no matter DirectX 12 and 11. Ofc I reckon my GPU being the limiting factor here which is an AMD Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X that benches only 4GB HBM:
40 CS (40 settlers + 40 scouts = 80 units w/ having founded their respective city yet)
21 civs (21 settlers + 21 scouts = 42 units w/ having founded their respective city yet)
1 human player with pre-spawned 48 builders and 166 settlers around the time i found the 134th city, which seems to always be the exact same no.
Just a little testing contribution, hope it helps / provides any useful clue. I unfortunately won't upgrade my gpu anytime soon to test i.e. 16GB HBM2 :)

i managed to reproduce this with every available graphics driver release by radeon for this card, incl. latest march 2019 :)

Lately, i've been fiddling a lot with various TSL setups on custom sized maps while aiming for multiple thematic Civs combinations.

Relatively simple initiative for personal enjoyment but this allowed me to discover how clipping & cropping in such variable ways can cause weird proportions & major limits with city distances, specially when the pre-defined CS start to crowd over anything above 8/12 majors.

After a few more fine-tuning fixes to Longitudes & Latitudes or Capital locations (Dido's default XY conflicted with Jerusalem near DeadSea.. sooo, i sent her back to the real Carthage coastal area across Trajan's Rome!) and other stuff.. i can conclude there's only one kind of wacky/hacky solution to enhance smaller "Clipped" regions == To just **DOUBLE-UP** the basic GE map from 180x94 to 360x188 along with taking extra care on controlling a secondary set of coordinates based on that critical method -- exclusively.

The most obvious example of these indirect undesirable conditions is my "Classic Era" grouping that has spectacular compression results of nearly impossible settling capacities for some if not most Civs. See snapshot below...

Twicing_GE-ForCustomRegionalClip(s).png

Think it over please.. i know this is very ambitious & (w-sh)ould require extensive re-work of a familiar system that has proven stable & solid for some time -- except a newly Much--Bigger than Ludicrous template (surely unplayable as is but as source data could fit the deal!) might offer splendid context(s) with a number of 50% sized (from GEx2) regions boosted accordingly.. as long this theory Mod Feature is clearly designed with corresponding Min-Max restrictions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom