Global warming strikes again...

Because climate change has been made unfalsifiable, any weather event or indeed natural disaster that occurs or any anomaly in nature is automatically linked to climate change and anyone that dares question it is a denier of the worst kind and held to the same ilk as holocaust deniers and flat earthers, the methodology and measuring of climate change may be scientific, but the discussion surrounding it certainly isn't.

Reaching real heavily into the victim card here.

But the waters in New Jersey have only warmed a couple degrees probably, far less than the temperature difference between there and Florida. So I don't get how climate change alone can be the cause. If they just need temperatures as warm as 55.4F to survive, that level of warmth is reached as far north as Maine in the summer time, I'd bet.

Well, they're talking about a rise of a very small number. It's headlines. If the conditions for an event make an event more likely, it will happen more.

This is just a case of sensational headlines. Yeah, rare cases will migrate north. And there's a causal link to the selfishness of the last few decades.

We have headlines like these because shrinking shorelines for Bangladeshi get shrugs.

Because climate change has been made unfalsifiable, any weather event or indeed natural disaster that occurs or any anomaly in nature is automatically linked to climate change and anyone that dares question it is a denier of the worst kind and held to the same ilk as holocaust deniers and flat earthers, the methodology and measuring of climate change may be scientific, but the discussion surrounding it certainly isn't.

This is not how this works at all actually. I hear nothing but climate scientists always stating repeatedly that no one event can be attributed to climate change. It’s like a bloody mantra. You must be in a non scientist related commentary bubble.

To be fair, many reporters will talk about individual weather events in a way that frames them in the context of global warming - that global warming will make such events more numerous and catastrophic. Sloppy journalists will just say it is global warming. Either way, many people either can't follow the nuance or don't want to in order to justify their ideology.

To be fair, many reporters will talk about individual weather events in a way that frames them in the context of global warming - that global warming will make such events more numerous and catastrophic. Sloppy journalists will just say it is global warming. Either way, many people either can't follow the nuance or don't want to in order to justify their ideology.

Yea but if you are here I’d expect you to understand the difference between cable news sensationalist nonsense and what the reality is on any given topic.

Someone interested in denying humanity's impact on the environment is equally disinterested in intellectual rigor.

Nevermind that we still have people whose careers and continued financial success rely on lying about, obfuscating, downplaying and denying that climate change is happening and being driven by human beings.

Given the estimated casualties, victims and deaths from it, climate change denial will enter the same sphere as denial of genocide or denial of war crimes.

This is not how this works at all actually. I hear nothing but climate scientists always stating repeatedly that no one event can be attributed to climate change. It’s like a bloody mantra. You must be in a non scientist related commentary bubble.

And it's also not even really true. The focus on 'uncertainty' in climate science was actually the result of a well-funded propaganda drive by the fossil fuel industry to muddy the waters around the science...even though the big fossil fuel extractors believed in climate change completely (as evidenced by the fact that they were doing things like updating their offshore oil rigs to account for sea-level rise as early as the 1980s).

Not really, but yeah. Getting people to have the least bit of an informed opinion is super difficult.

If people were informed rather than partisan, you'd see it based on behavior. I can't even get 'allies' to help in any meaningful sense. 'Course, Charisma is my dump stat ...

I frequently try to summarize things that people dont know, just to create dissonance. But I often notice that my partisan allies haven't updated their datasets.

As I said, the mainstream discussion is kinda pathetic. It's all just partisan opinion.

Last edited:
And what is your explanation? The Gulf stream is also likely involved.

Idk maybe they had some sort of predator that is dying off for some reason. Sort of like how coyotes have been expanding east in the US for the past century.

Edit: After reading some more, I realized I was misinterpreting the article. They aren't jumping from Florida to New Jersey, but have existed in both places for a while and are simply becoming more numerous because of climate change. That makes more sense.
Here's an actual article on the topic: https://www.forbes.com/sites/judyst...expect-more-deadly-vibrio-cases/#321e1c332d65

Last edited:
^^^^ That is a scary link if you like oysters.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...ntinues-choking-access-cities-across-country#

As Common Dreams reported Thursday, Australia just endured a heat wave that broke records for temperature in consecutive days.

"I think this is the single loudest alarm bell I've ever heard on global heating," said Kees van der Leun, a director at the American consultancy firm Navigant.

Australia is burning. I've seen lots of chatter about the recent heatwave. Now Sydney is almost blocked in due to fires preventing access. Crazy.

Climate change deniers will still deny it, even as their own bodies, homes and families are burning.

They're no different from anti vaxxers, flat earthers or people who think homeopathy works and just as delusional, it is a sickness that enables the pain and suffering of others

Last edited:
Climate change deniers will still deny it, even as their own bodies, homes and families are burning.

They're no different from anti vaxxers, flat earthers or people who think homeopathy works and just as delusional, it is a sickness that enables the pain and suffering of others

I think that denial is more a weak spot of human nature that can grow into a sickness... but it is not a sickness per se.
so... how do you encourage a setting in society that handles that weak spot better

Look at history
For example there is a common opinion shared by elite and the common people on how something is

Then you get some weird scientist (or scientist avant la lettre) that tells that the common opinion is wrong.
And perhaps that "scientist" did it in a provoking way because nobody wanted to listen to him when he told it first non-provoking.
Galileo the classic example.
Whether the new insights were taken over depended very much on the practical value on the one end (fast benefits at low treshold of resources and time lapse) and how much it would disrupt the status quo (the power and/or the comfort bubble) on the other end.
Makes me remember a story of someone who spend in the 80ies after her study 5 years in West-Papua as youth development worker among tribes. BTW physical abuse (beating of wifes and children) a real big and persistent problem there in coastal westernised villages since many decades. She told me that when teaching children one of the Elders of the tribe was there in the class as well.
It had two effects:
1. he learned what the children learned (=> he learned what was going to disturb the status quo)
2. By being there, he, as Elder, one of the "authorities of the tribe, blessed off that this change was going to happen.
For everybody crystal clear and imo a prudent approach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom