Glory to Greece: All Trade Leads to Athens

Never Give Up
Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): (Digging deep into The Diplomatic Bag of Tricks) General, I could not help but wonder... are you refusing to help hoplitejoe because he is an Englishman?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): What? No! That's absurd. G.I. Joe is an organization based on international cooperation. Ten nations signed on in our first year, working together, sharing intel. Now we have 23.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): (Still trying hard) So, what are you really afraid of, General? You aren't afraid of failing a mission, are you?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Of course not. When all else fails, we don't.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): So, shouldn't you be able to easily save hoplitejoe?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): I see where you're going with that argument, but it's not going to work. hoplitejoe knew that there would be risks and he chose to...

Narrator: (One of Tomorrow's Dawn's envoys comes rushing into the room.)

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): I am sorry to interrupt you, General, but would you give us a moment?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Alright, but I don't have all day to wait. I have a world to protect from the forces of Corba, you know.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): Of course, General Hawk, I respect your time and will not waste it. (In sotto voice to her envoy) So, what is it that brings you here with such haste, wheezing, puffing, and nearly breathless, with a wild look of excitement in your eyes?

Tomorrow's Dawn's Envoy: (Also in sotto voice) I bring important news, directly from the mouth of Red_Spy. It appears that there has been a development. Cobra, in particular, the Baroness, is somehow involved with hoplitejoe's disappearance.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): (Still in sotto voice) That news is indeed important and very helpful. Thank you kindly for your efforts to communicate it to me with such alacrity. It is nice to know that I have team members that I can count on. (Spoken in her normal voice) Oh, General Hawk, if I may share... there has been a development.

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): (Frowning but attentive) Go on.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): (Stretching the truth to meet the needs of the situation, like any good diplomat would do) It appears that there was more to hoplitejoe's mission than was originally reported. He was apparently tracking down a super-secret Cobra base, headed-up by none other than the Baroness herself!

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Well, why didn't you say so in the first place? Scarlett!

Scarlett (the Worker): Yes, General?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Gather a team together. Your mission is to infiltrate the Cobra base from the inside and to do whatever you can to take it down.

Ripcord (the Worker): What about hoplitejoe?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Yes, well, if you happen upon him, see to it that he gets rescued.

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): Thank you, General Hawk. Your help is greatly appreciated.

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Humph. We have a job to do, and when Cobra's involved, we will be there. Go, Joes! And go, Action Men!

Scarlett (the Worker): (Looks pointedly at General Hawk.)

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Errr, well, yes. Ummm, go, Action People?

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): How about Action Force?

General Hawk (Leader of the G.I. Joes): Right. Go, Action Force!

Ripcord (the Worker): We're coming for you, hoplitejoe!!!

Narrator: Scarlett's team proceeds into the mine. What dangers await? Is it really a secret Cobra base or is it a trap? Is hoplitejoe even still alive? Only time will tell!

News from the Wilderness
Olaf (Financial Advisor): Say, it has been a while since we have heard from Arrow Hawk. I wonder if he's found me a base of operations for my Treasury.

Arrow Hawk (Scout): Indeed, I have. There is a succulent Pig to pair-up with not one, but two Gold Resources!

Olaf (Financial Advisor): Wonderful! Great Exchequer, we should prepare a Settler Party at once!

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): Have you forgotten our financial predicament?

FunkyBike1 (Science Advisor): Yeah, we don't even have Writing yet! The way that you want to spend money means that we'll never make any scientific breakthroughs! I need money to continue to fund my our research!

mayor (Governor of Sparta): Have you forgotten Mitchum's impending army of doom?

vranasm (Religious Advisor): Speaking of which, mbkkbm how go the battles on the frontlines?

mbkkbm (War Advisor): It appears that our luck continues to hold, although Super SouthernKing can't take all of the credit.

Super SouthernKing 5UP: Yes, I can!

strijder20 (Palace Guard): Know your role. You can't be in two places at once.

Super SouthernKing 5UP: Yeah, well, I used to embody that other Warrior, so that's why he won!

Olaf (Financial Advisor): Well, surely, we will have Foreign Trade Routes soon enough. Isn't our Work Boat off in search of a path to Ragnar?

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): While that point is true, it appears that we have met with a snag: there is a Barbarian City that will block any Coastal Trade Routes between here and other empires to the west. For now, we must rely on the power of our Domestic Trade Routes.

The Next Legacy
Mosher (future Governor of Argos--maybe): At last, a City all of my own to command!

Pericles: Under the flag of Greece, in the name of Pericles, you mean, right?

Mosher (future Governor of Argos--maybe): (Honestly speaking) Oh yes, yes, of course! I thank you humbly for this promotion! While I enjoyed supplying you with your dung beetle needs and accessories, the little buggers have one heck of a bite, and it will be nice to take a break from prying their mandibles out of my palms to take on a new challenge.

mayor (Governor of Sparta): So, have you decided on a name for your City yet?

Mosher (future Governor of Argos--maybe): Well, I kind of like the name: "Maybe Argos, Maybe Not?" It's kind of catchy, don't you think?

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): No.

strijder20 (Palace Guard): I'd sooner wear pantyhose and troll the Malinese streets for desperate Skirmishers than live in a hole with a name like that.

vranasm (Religious Advisor): Have you considered, maybe, you know, just calling the City: "Argos"?

Mosher (future Governor of Argos--maybe): Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

Everyone, including Mitchum's Decepticons: :facepalm:

Spoiler :

Super SouthernKing 5UP: Rawrrr! I am unstoppable!

Mitchum (Leader of the Decepticons): You incompetent fools! Morons! Can't you do anything right?

Kissing-up to the Neighbours
Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): (Returns from her visit with the G.I. Joes / Action Force) So, what's happening?

FunkyBike1 (Science Advisor): We are on the verge of a great scientific breakthrough! Soon, we shall have the knowledge of Writing!

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): Wonderful! My envoys will soon be able to draft-up formal agreements, starting with, perhaps, the Malinese people.

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): What good would that do? Domestic Trade for the win!

mayor (Governor of Sparta): You know, you need not be paranoid. Foreign Trade is actually better for both economies.

Olaf (Financial Advisor): Yes, I am surprised that you haven't heard of the concept of comparative advantage, whereby two separate nations can get together and trade for the resources that they need. Each nation focuses on producing more of the good or service that they are relatively skilled at providing and less of the good or service that they receive in trade. In this way, both economies benefit, as each side can produce a proportionally greater amount than before, can import the other good or service by trading for it, and still end up having a surplus of the good or service that they are most skilled at producing, compared to the original scenario where no trade was involved.

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): But, what if we are better than the Malinese people at producing BOTH of the goods or services in question?

Olaf (Financial Advisor): That case is handled, too. Let's say that we are ten times as good as the Malinese at weaving dung-beetle papyrus but are only twice as good as them at making crab cakes. We can specialize in weaving dung-beetle papyrus, since our citizens can make oodles of the stuff in the same amount of time that it would take those same citizens of ours to make crab cakes. Mansa's people, however, can focus on making crab cakes, where they have an absolute production disadvantage (absolute disadvantage due to their citizens producing only half as much as our citizens could have produced) but only have a relatively small difference in production output versus what our citizens can make compared to the relatively higher difference in production output of dung-beetle papyrus. Such an arrangement increases the total production for a given amount of labour and, given slight price alterations, both nations can benefit greatly.

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): Hmmm, well, when you put it that way: bring on the Foreign Trade!

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): Good news! Mansa was willing to Open Borders with us! I even offered Mansa the hand of friendship by gifting him our excess Corn Resource!

vranasm (Religious Advisor): It appears that Mansa has adopted Judaism! Rejoice! We may soon be able to further increase our good relationship with the Malinese people, as soon as we find a need for the excess Happiness that having a State Religion will bring.

mayor (Governor of Sparta): (Grrr... We need strife with our neighbours if I am ever going to be able to join the glorious Malinese Empire!)

Tomorrow's Dawn (Foreign Advisor): Ragnar, too, was willing to Open Borders with us. Despite this River being connected to the Coast, though, we do not seem to be able to trade Resources with him.

ilduce349 (Domestic Advisor): I suspect that this City of his must not be connected to his capital. We need a route to his capital if we want to be able to successfully trade Resources with him.

Super SouthernKing 6UP: I am SUPAHHHHHRRR!

mbkkbm (War Advisor): Yeah, yeah, don't try and take all of the credit. The entire army is working together as a well-oiled unit, with each member backing up the others. You would not have won so many battles had you been limited to the body of a single unit.

Narrator: With Yoshi being asleep (passed-out) on the job, there is no competition for the Forest Chop and the production goes to Athens.

FunkyBike1 (Science Advisor): At last! Our first Library will soon be completed!

Narrator: Let's see how Yoshi is doing, shall we?

Nurturing
Yoshi (Governor of Corinth): (Slowly awakens, unable to recall the events prior to him passing out. He looks at Civ'ed.) Why, hello there, who are you, if I may ask, and where am I?

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): I am but a simple peasant, dear Yoshi, nothing to fear from me. Red_Spy left in search of something that he called an envoy...

Yoshi (Governor of Corinth): (The haze in his head starts to fade, although he feels uncomfortably itchy and starts scratching at his leg) Red_Spy... right... wait... hoplitejoe is in trouble! We've got to save him!

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): From what I understand, events have been set in motion along those lines.

Yoshi (Governor of Corinth): (Still ferociously scratching at his leg, which is really starting to bug him) Ahhh, right then. Good. It seems that my work on the subject is done. (Keeps scratching vigorously until his hand hits something hard, at which point he looks down, only to see...)

Spoiler Not for the faint of heart--YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :

Yoshi (Governor of Corinth): My leg... what... what are you doing?!

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): (Stated rather nonchalantly) It is feeding time. You would be wise not to cross me in the future, dear Yoshi. It would not do well for an infestation of my ulms to appear throughout your household.

Yoshi (Governor of Corinth): (Faints again.)

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): (Quickly takes his jar of ulms away from Yoshi's leg when he detects Red_Spy approaching.)

Red_Spy (Pro-Communism Spy): I see that you have been looking after Yoshi all of this time. Thank you. Would you mind helping me to carry him back to his home? It's only just around the corner from here.

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): Certainly. I know exactly where he lives.

Red_Spy (Pro-Communism Spy): (Thinks to himself that this comment is a little weird, but quickly dismisses it.)

Narrator: A couple of minutes later, after Yoshi is safely tucked into his own bed...

Red_Spy (Pro-Communism Spy): Say, I'd like to thank you for your help. Why don't I take you out to dinner?

Civ'ed (Peasant Beggar): I accept. So, tell me about this concept of caring for and looking after the people that you seem to carry out with each of your actions.

Red_Spy (Pro-Communism Spy): Oh, you noticed. Well, let me begin by saying that Communism is...

Battle Stats
mbkkbm (War Advisor): Commander Pericles, here are the latest battle statistics that you ordered be reported:
Super SouthernKing 6UP
Kills = 4
Deaths = 0
Promotions Earned = 3

mbkkbm's other units
Kills = 3
Deaths = 0

Mitchum's Decepticons
Kills = 0
Deaths = 7

Mitchum (Leader of the Decepticons): Curses! You may have won the day, but the war is far from won!

Narrator: Will Scarlett and her team be able to rescue hoplitejoe and bring him to safety, and if he is already dead, bring the Baroness to justice?

Will vranasm be successful in enacting a religious conversion to Judaism?

Have Mitchum's Decepticons been beaten back for good or is it just the calm before the next storm?

Seriously, what is up with that Civ'ed guy and what role will he play in the shaping of the Greeks' future?

Stay tuned until next time. Different bat time, same bat thread.

Nice work!

:lol:

This is awesome, have I ever mentioned that?
Can't wait for the next instalment :thumbsup:

I sure hope i'm not dead :D

:lol: Great update!

I support use of Scarlett pictures. :p

Narrator: I have decided to change the format of this story. No longer will I attempt to appease everyone by ensuring that every character is mentioned in every update. Actually, I may present updates in a mini-update format where your character may not appear for several scenes. In this way, I hope to help keep the story's progression from being stalled for long periods of time. I trust that you will all understand and I thank you all for your patience in waiting for your character to reappear in my story.

As always, please try to keep the s_p_a_m to a minimum. On-topic replies and suggestions related to plots, characters, and the saved game itself are welcomed. Off-topic replies should be sent to be via Private Message. If you aren't sure whether your feedback counts as being on-topic, then simply send me a Private Message. Thank you for your co-operation.

Back Story: hoplitejoe's Mission
Narrator: It seems that we never really did find out what happened to hoplitejoe on his mission. Let's rectify that situation, shall we?

hoplitejoe (Miner): It is time to see if I can rescue that little Corinthian Girl's kitty cat. Let's see if I can get some help over at the quarry...

Random Other Miner: 'Sup, Dude?

hoplitejoe (Miner): Wos 'sup!? Say, do you think that you can help me out?

Random Other Miner: What's the word, bro?

hoplitejoe (Miner): Well, I need to head into the darkest mine of them all...

Random Other Miner: Yo! I gots da best deal in town for ya right here. It's da pimpenest miner's hat in the land... all for only 1 Gold piece.

hoplitejoe (Miner): Sold! (Tries it on.)

Random Other Miner: Whoa! Swag, man! You da lady killah in dat outfit!

hoplitejoe (Miner): So, do you think that you can come and help me?

Random Other Miner: Not a chance, bro! I heard dat dat dere mine been condemned an' all, ya know? You should give up on your foolzness and just walk around town dressed like dat. You'll be the babe magnet fo' shizzle.

hoplitejoe (Miner): Well, I have a mission to perform. But, all the same, thanks for your help!

Random Other Miner: If you've got the dime then I've got the time. Now skeedadle, I've got other customers to attend to.

Narrator: hoplitejoe makes his way over to the entrance of the darkest mine.

hoplitejoe (Miner): Whoa, that's darker than I remembered! I'm glad that I bought me a head torch!

Narrator: hoplitejoe slips into the mine's entrance and gazes upon a sight of beauty.

hoplitejoe (Miner): Wow, is it ever gorgeous in here!

hoplitejoe (Miner): Well, I had best get down to work! Heeeeeeere kitty, kitty, kitty! Where are you pretty kitty?

Narrator: hoplitejoe slowly proceeds into the mine, making his way around fallen rocks and debris, sidestepping stalagmites and avoiding banging his head on stalactites.

Narrator: Soon, he happens upon an unexpected but appreciated sight: it is a cat!

Narrator: The cat, not unexpectedly, does not seem to be too comfortable around a stranger.

hoplitejoe (Miner): Nice kitty. You belong to that little Corinthian Girl, don't you? You must feel all alone and lost in here. Here, let me pour you a bowl of milk. (Pours a bowl of milk for the cat, although the milk is getting a little warm and clumpy by this point.) There, isn't that nice?

The Cat: Mioux. Miaooowwwww.

hoplitejoe (Miner): There's a good kitty.

Narrator: hoplitejoe steps a little bit closer to the cat, making purring sounds. However, surprisingly, the cat begins to talk!

Spoiler :

hoplitejoe (Miner): Hmmm, that's weird. I haven't seen a talking cat before. Oh well, nothing for it but to rescue this poor, lost kitty.

Narrator: hoplitejoe reaches for the cat as though to pick it up...

CobraCat: Mioux! You're mine! Miouhaha Miouhaha Miouhahahaaaa!

hoplitejoe (Miner): Ummm, what...?

Narrator: hoplitejoe is stupefied at the cat's speech but continues to advance towards the cat, meaning to pick it up, only to have the cat pounce!

Spoiler :

Narrator: Unfortunately, the cat pwns hoplitejoe, knocking off his head torch. As hoplitejoe falls, he bangs his head against a stalagmite and is knocked unconscious.

So, now we know what happened to hoplitejoe... or do we? We actually still don't know his eventual fate but it does appear that he has fallen into the insidious hands of Cobra! This news is actually WORSE than before, because now is he not only trapped inside of a cave-in but must also be in the evil hands of a deadly terrorist organization! Is hoplitejoe going to die? Does a fate worse than death await him? And when will the other characters resurface in this thread? Only time will tell!

Loved the .gif. :lol:

Top Bottom