God damn this game is good

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read my previous posts, you would see that I was arguing against using suicide catapult attacks. I only ever use my siege to bombard city defenses and then maybe use 1 to cause collateral.
My point is that anyone who sends catapults on suicide missions is not planning their attack well at all.

No. If you're not suiciding siege weapons, you're actually not using them effectively. It has nothing to do with planning. Without artillery, you would have to have numerical superiority and technological superiority to the units defending the city. When you can suicide several siege weapons at a major city and then simply use your units as sweep-up crews, that's when you plan the battle right.

The only alternative is getting stalled when on the offensive because your main force was heavily wounded going Stalingrad on a heavily defended border city.

You know that bombardment was in Civ 4 right? If you're sending catapults on suicide missions I would argue that you are not planning your attack properly.

If you dont suicide siege units I would argue you are either playing in the late game with bombers or do not know how to attack properly... unless you are playing on settler?

I am about to start a new game myself. I want to go completely through it this time. Instead of stopping at an earlier era. I have had an absolute blast with this game so far.

If you dont suicide siege units I would argue you are either playing in the late game with bombers or do not know how to attack properly... unless you are playing on settler?

Siege weapons were one of the best defensive weapons in the game simply because you could send them at the SOD and leave it a writhing shell of its former self.

The game has some initial problems but on the whole it's great. I agree about the bombardment; it's great that you can now actually really use them again in a logical way. I love this game as well :)

I enjoy the game too.

What I don't understand is why people who hate it have to hang around the forums :p

A bit like hating ice cream but still buying it and keeping it in the freezer :D

What I don't understand is why people who hate it have to hang around the forums

So, who hates it? Just curious. If they're hanging around the forums, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Can you point out someone who hates it?

So tech trading in cIV, which was a pre-game option, erked you but tech trading in ciV, which cannot be turned off, is ok with you? I agree that the new graphic are gorgious and thx new farm tiles are pretty but do you not miss the cottage system? Instead we have a generic overly potent trade post spamming system. In previous civs tiles also had more importance. So your fine that tile improvements only generally give a +1 improvement? Thus promoting ICS and the lack of importance in city placement. I also like the idea behind the new free flowing diplomacy but it is severly broken IMHO so how can you overlook this?

I would agree with you that there are a lot of promising and FRESH ideas implamented in this new civ. That scrapping the old and proven ideas of past civs takes some real balls and I take my hat off to the devs for creating a new civ and not a civ 4.5. But I must conclude that the release of this game in beta form without a functioning air war, a naval combat ai that is still not implamented properly and a diplomacy that is "broken" at best are too much to sugar candy and over look. The military side of matters are all one dimensional land wars as the other two dimensions are still inept or missing completely in a game designed around warfare! I'm glad you are enjoying the game but I would like a little more beef in my burger please.

Just logged in to say I completely agree with the OP. Been playing the Civ series since the very first and Civ 5 is just a pleasure to play and feels more addicting than ever. I know it has its share of issues (like AI) and missing elements (like religion), but its elegance more than makes up for its shortcomings.

I usually played with tech brokering off in Civ4. I don't know if the RA Pacts are improvement over that TBH.

Like the game, despite it's flaws. Really see alot of potential in it, and good to hear other people like it too.

I'm having fun with it now, too. It's been a rocky relationship, but I liked the basic concepts behind the game. It was just too easy before the patch.

The game is a challenge now. Just played Genghis. Siam and Gandhi jumped me while I was mopping up Germany. Grabbed Paris from me (Germany was my second conquest.) Underestimated the enemy, and they got me. Good for them!

I look forward to the next patch, because it still needs work, as well as the upcoming DLC.

No. If you're not suiciding siege weapons, you're actually not using them effectively. It has nothing to do with planning. Without artillery, you would have to have numerical superiority and technological superiority to the units defending the city. When you can suicide several siege weapons at a major city and then simply use your units as sweep-up crews, that's when you plan the battle right.

The only alternative is getting stalled when on the offensive because your main force was heavily wounded going Stalingrad on a heavily defended border city.

I always have artillery when I attack a city. It goes like this : bombard till it's got zero defense, then attack with maybe half of the total siege that I have with me to cause collateral. If those siege units are properly promoted then there is a very good chance they will survive the encounter. If planned properly there is no need for any "suicide missions" because the siege I desginate for collateral will likely survive.

If you don't promote your seige correctly and just use them for suicide attacks, then you will stall your main force by having to wait for you replacement siege units.

Wow, every other post in the first page is someone trying to bring the OP down. So mean :(

I always have artillery when I attack a city. It goes like this : bombard till it's got zero defense, then attack with maybe half of the total siege that I have with me to cause collateral. If those siege units are properly promoted then there is a very good chance they will survive the encounter. If planned properly there is no need for any "suicide missions" because the siege I desginate for collateral will likely survive.

If you don't promote your seige correctly and just use them for suicide attacks, then you will stall your main force by having to wait for you replacement siege units.
That comes down to playing ahead. But after attacking with full siege, you'll get a couple of units that survive and gain XP so yes, you may have to replace losses but after a while, you're just miliking the city for every drop of XP and now you have units with more collateral damage.

I mean, I usually ended up building so many that it never became an issue in war unless I'm doing more than I planned. :lol:

Are we giving love to the game that is or to the game that it someday will be? For I too love the game that it someday will be.

I love the game it is now with mods. I think it'll be pretty good by December.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom