Good High-bandwidth Router

ls612

Deity
I will be moving in about a month and the place I'm moving to has gigabit fiber, so the quality of the router will matter. What does everyone think I should get? I will have 3-4 devices on the network at the same time and would like to get more or less the posted speed between them.

Anything modern will do 1 gbit WAN-> LAN. Anything with gigabit ports will do 1 gbit LAN -> LAN. Nothing will do 1 gbit wirelessly.

Consumer router manufacturers are pretty much all incompetent at security and firmware updates. If you're not comfortable installing custom firmware, my recommendation is for either Apple's AirPort Extreme, or either of Google's OnHub routers.

If you're comfortable installing custom firmware, either the Asus RT-N56U with Padavan's firmware (not listed on the specs, but current revision of the router supports 802.11ac with Padavan's firmware) or the Asus RT-AC66U with Merlin's firmware. The former is cheaper and has lower wifi performance, but is also more efficient and doesn't heat up as much.

Top Bottom