Gotm22-Vikings PreGame Discussion

Originally posted by Karasu
My personal feeling is that one should try to move to Open as soon as possible.
Conquest is very good to give one a feeling of what they are doing and to give one more confidence for the later games, but its natural purpose IMHO is to let you use this experience and confidence in the Open challenge.
Even though you may feel "not ready yet", why worry? It is surely going to be fun! ;)

Some of us here, me included, get turned into road kill on anything higher than Monarch in a random map. And since you can't resign in Game of the Month you have no choice except to fight to the last Berserk. This month's game is almost at Diety level. I don't think it would be "fun" to fight until your last city falls. In a normal SP game, you would either resign, or just quit and start another.

Just a last thought before the curtain rises : if we'd share the starting landmass with just one civ, it might not be a good idea to wipe them out in the early phases - not before contact has been made with other civs.
that's of course assuming we're anywhere near a position to wipe them out early - guess you can call me an optimist.

I've been going over Moonsinger's posts in Gotm18. I think it should be doable to start with a warmongering attitude and later switch to culture building if you feel like it.

Originally posted by ltccone
Some of us here, me included, get turned into road kill on anything higher than Monarch in a random map. And since you can't resign in Game of the Month you have no choice except to fight to the last Berserk. This month's game is almost at Diety level. I don't think it would be "fun" to fight until your last city falls. In a normal SP game, you would either resign, or just quit and start another.
You could always play it as a 1CC, that way you'll have an excuse later :)

cracker ignores our requests because he jumped ship and went for a well deserved vacation and will be back in a couple of weeks :)

I'm not sure, but I think Aeson is the one we should harass for now. Still, nagging him wouldn't help much anyways, since I believe he reads this thread and would've made a statement already if he thought it would fit.

So we get what we get and have to deal with it :)

Poisonous mushrooms and ale = berserker!

I think War Mongering the best way to go. The more leaders you get the better your chances at a 20K victory. An early army to get you the herioc Epic for culture and for increased chances for leaders may be a good idea as well. Being Militaristic you have a better chance for promotion so with near constant warring leaders should be previlent.

Perhaps Occillating War stategy would be a good choice. By always making war and switching opponents every 20 turns or so you can have a steady chance at leaders. Gain territory and keep up with Techs via the pointy stick research :hammer: The only real draw back I could see right now is the map type making warring harder because of the movement constraints.

Submissions due by August 30, 2003.
As an inveterate last-minute submitter, is this an error or do we really lose a day at the end of August?

Arrrrrr, maybe the staff's silence on the settler issue says something. Remember GOTM20? The Zulus had way more settlers to start with than the other civs. Maybe these will be customized. Who knows, maybe they'll only have one settler but develop with demi-god speed. And remember that game where it was advertised as continents and we ended up alone with the dratted Persians? There's no telling what stunt Cracker will pull next. Maybe the islands are all bunched in one place, the 5000 tile map is only there for the corruption and science rate effects. Maybe they're 'islands' all connected by land bridges, or only a hair's breadth apart. My first impression when I think 'islands, 66% water' is equally sized, uniformly spaced landmasses, so the safest bet is that Won't be what we'll get.
Oh, and since this is a maritime adventure, I should add: Avast, Mateys!

Originally posted by hotrod0823
The only real draw back I could see right now is the map type making warring harder because of the movement constraints.

I think that this may be the whole point of the map for this month. If you read through the various threads, it's always a matter of conquest or domination, regardless of the victory conditions. Cracker & co. have tried mixing it up a bit with mandating conditions for a medal win to force us outside of our tried and true methods, but in terms of scoring, it's always D or C on top. Not that there's anything wrong with that! <g> There was a very healthy discussion of this in the GOTM21 pre-threads. However, it seems that builders can't hold a candle in the scoring, and D or C will make any other condition easier to achieve (except perhaps Diplo). By going to an archipelago map, it postpones the early rush on conquest (ala Moonsinger, et al), and the rapid expansion (ala Sir Pleb, et al). By going to a diety-ish level of challenge in this map style, then the combination may be right to try to force the method of victory desired, and indeed getting us out of our boxes.

I respect the folks involved as players in GOTM immensely, considering that I didn't have enough real time to finish GOTM21, and wasn't doing nearly as well as everyone else here in reading the threads (never reached the end of the MA). Just maybe D or C aren't always the answer?

Salut!

I've just put the GOTM 22 saves in the proper folder for downloading. That's one of my jobs this month, and afternoon/evening thundershowers have been knocking out my satellite dsl connection every night the past week... so better the saves available early than late.

The due date is the 31st, the 30th is an error.

-----------

Just a reminder. Once you've downloaded the saves and started your game, no more posting in this thread. Wait for the proper spoiler thread to be opened.

Thanks!

Aeson,

Have you got anything special for us to look for to report in the Spoilers? I always find it frustrating to find that cracker has asked lots of interesting questions that I could have been making notes about during the game :).

[Edit : I've just re-read that . I don't mean cracker questions are frustrating, I mean I find it frustrating that I can't answer them from memory :crazyeye: ]

I'm changing my plan (what there is of it :) ) just a little, plan to start by research Ceremonial Burial. I keep waffling this month, I'm not wild about our starting techs as Vikings. I think CB is the best start for me for the combination of risks - neighbors or no neighbors :)

Oh, and the saves are ready! Wish I had time to dig in right now!!

This will also for me be the first try at a culture victory. I'll do the best I can off course, but will play at open class since that worked well in my first GOTM.

Which strategy I will follow I'm not sure of. Probably buils at the spot and use the scout to explore and worker to get shields coming in. The extra unit will probably be needed soon to keep the city out of disorder. The scout will have to check if there can be a better second city. Otherwise the capital will be the 20K city.

How I will get most wonders I'm still wondering. I've just read Moonsinger will use his normal 40 turn strategy (science). But I'm not sure what it is! Could anyone help me (or point to a place where I can read about it)?

The game will have much to do with exploring I think.

Good luck everyone!

Well I've just finished last months game... let me take some tome off... I'll only start it next sunday.

Should give me some time to do the 'normal things in life'. ;)

BTW finished the game this late because I only started the 15th, being new and all. :cool:

Heh - Funny how people stopped posting here when the game got posted :)

Guess I'm missing out by being at work.

Since this is an Archipelego game with 2/3 of the world water, I think we can expect that many of the other civs will be on other continents. Therefore, I will definitely go directly for Map Making. The AI will probably beat me to it, but once I get it I will use my Galleys to discover the other continents before the AI does (hopefully). In this way I will be able to trade my World Maps with the other civs for much gold and possibly some techs. I will not trade contact because the AI will not use suicide Galleys and therefore will not be in a position to discover the other civs until it discovers Navigation. Keeping the civs from contact gives me the option of trading my World Maps all through the Middle Ages.

Of course, all of this presumes that the continents are not so close that the AI Galleys can make contact without traversing ocean squares.

Top Bottom