GR19- Genocide AWE vs 30 civs.

We can now do it in 21 after a little rearrangement, a Korean unit knocked a laborer off a mined tile and onto an irrigated one. Although cash is tight. We won't be able to make much use of that 6th citizen until we finish Lit in 10. So maybe we could get it down to 19-20 turns. I suppose given the alternative, maybe we should just go for it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/43630/GR19_BC250.SAV

Preturn: Leave the unforted spear outside Salonika…

IBT: …Which turns out to be the wrong move as a Zulu horse kills spear and a red archer and torches the place. They lose a warrior. Oh well, another settler due out in a couple turns. Portugese archer suicides at Aydin. (2-2)

430BC- Worker stuff.

IBT- Portugal and Korea each suicide a pair of archers. (6-2) Americans kill a spear (6-3)

410BC- More worker stuff.

390BC- A non-event

370BC- Having to switch towns to wealth to control the costs.

IBT- American kills an elite warrior at Ankara (6-4)

350BC- Kill American archer at Ankara (7-4)

IBT- Lose another spear at Aydin (7-5) Would be bad, but given our unit support costs, it’s not killing us. Yet.

330BC- Towns of Bolu and Denzili built which allows more towns to come off wealth.

IBT- America suicides a horse at Ankara (8-5)

310BC- America loses 2 archers for one of ours. (10-6)

IBT- OK, the bad news, Portugal starts the Glib.

290BC- After a brief exchange with Greebley, I opt to continue on. Declare on France.

IBT- Lose two vet spears in walled towns to a Portugese and American archer. The RNG gods have pounded me this set. (10-8)

270BC- Roading to Rouen.

IBT- Two French workers move into Rouen from the tile to the west. I’m guessing that is the iron tile.

250BC- Merge a worker into Edrine to make him a scientist for the time being. Lit in 7, palace in 8. And done.

The workers by Edrine should mine one more irrigated tile so after Lit comes in, we should be able to get up to 11 spt if we kick up the lux tax or somehow connect the dyes, but they are still a ways off. We have one settler between Kafa and Bolu.

Despite the terrible kill ratio, the AI has been coming in small numbers. The Zulu disappeared entirely, so I wonder if they went off to war with another AI. America has horses, doesn't look as though Porugal does. No swords yet.

Watch out for a couple towns such as Denzili which are empty. We can shuffle the troops around more as needed. Until we get Lit in, we are going to be in a cash crunch, so a lot of towns will need to stay on wealth a while longer.

Good call on the Great Library. :goodjob: I don't see much hope in this position without the GLib, so we might as well go all out for it.

I won't be able to play Civ at all until the 6th, and then the proper thing may be for me to attend to the SGOTM first, since I've played this one more recently. So please skip me until I post that I can play.

I guess I am up then. I will take it for tomorrow if I do not hear any objections.

I agree that as soon as we get Literature, we definitely want to merge in a Worker and work maximum shields. Don't be afraid to raise lux as high as needed to maximize shields in an attempt to get the GLib. I think we have a chance here.

Roster:
Greebley
ThERat
M60A3TTS - Just Played
Northern Pike - Skip until posts.
markh - Up
Elephantium - On Deck

Maybe I do not get something. Edrine is at size 6 and without an aqueduct we cannot get it to size 7 with a worker merge or is there a trick I do not know ?

Literature just came in , so I stopped to ask. BTW it seems that the great library will cascade somewhere else as Carthage just completed The Great Lighthouse and we got a notice that three other nations started The Great Library now. We have 12 turns to go for completing it at Edrine being at size 6 and max shields.

Edrine was at pop 5 and I went ahead and merged a worker to put it at pop 6 which is as big as it can get. The idea was to squeeze out every last shield possible. There wasn't a thought of getting beyond that size until later.

Ah, ok. Greebley in his last post was speaking of merging a worker when lit comes in, so I wondered whether there is something I missed. Finish my set in the next hour.

IBT : 2 Portuguese archers suicide at Aydin
3 American archers and a horse die at the gates of Ankara promoting one of our spears elite (5-0)

Omaha : spearman -> wealth
Aydin : spearman -> welath

1) 230BC : just moving units and worker actions

IBT : Antalya : temple -> wealth

2) 210BC : lose an archer on reg FRench warrior (5-1)
a second archer kills that warrior and promotes elite (6-1)

change Uskudar from wealth to archer as we lost one

IBT : an American archer dies attacking Ankara (7-1)
a Korean horseman retreats attacking a spear near Istanbul

Athens completes Temple of Artemis

3) 190BC : *eArcher finishes the Korean horse in the mountains at Istanbul (8-1)

found Urfa

change Istanbul from wealth to settler

IBT : an American horse retreats after attacking Ankara

4) 170BC : *eArcher dies attacking a reg Korean spear at Istanbul (8-2)
an archer from Istanbul finishes the spear (9-2)
eArcher kills an American horse at Ankara (10-2)
archer retreats another American horse at Ankara

IBT : 2 American horses die attacking Ankara (12-2)

Denizli : walls -> barracks

5) 150BC : Persia appears and we declare war

kill 2 Portuguese archers at Omaha (14-2)
lose an archer on a Korean archer near Edrine (14-3)

IBT : an American horse dies at the walls of Ankara and another one retreats (15-3)

Istanbul : settler -> archer
Uskudar : archer -> spearman
Bolu : warrior -> walls

6) 130BC : Hammi decides to say Hello finally and gets a declaration of war

archer kills Korean archer at Istanbul (16-3)

we can reduce research finally and all cities go back to building units

IBT : literatur -> iw

Carthage completes The Great Lighthouse
Zulus start The Great Library, not good
the same for the Koreans and Russians

13 turns for us to compelete it

7) 110BC : kill 2 Portuguese archers at Uskudar losing one of ours (18-4)

IBT : Istanbul : archer -> settler
Aydin : worker -> archer

8) 90BC : archer kills Korean spear between Edrine and Istanbul (19-4)
archer kills Portuguese warrior at Uskudar and promotes elite (20-4)
archer retreats American horse at Mugla (21-4)
lose an archer an a Korean horse at Edrine (21-5)
second archer retreats the horse
lose an archer on a Korean archer between Edrine and Istanbul (21-6)
archer kills that Korean archer and promotes elite (22-6)

IBT : Korean archer dies a fortified spear at Edrine (23-6), a second one kills that spear and we lose a turn on the great library (23-7)

Antalya : archer -> spearman

9) 70BC : kill that intruding Korean archer at Edrine (24-7)
kill an American archer at Aydin (25-7)

IBT : a bowman kills one of our fortified spears at Edrine and the babs are golden (25-8)

Istanbul : archer -> settler
Bursa : archer -> spearman
Uskudar : spearman -> archer
Izmit : spearman -> archer

America starts Hanging Gardens

a Russian settler - spear combo arrives in our East

10) 50BC : declare war on Russia

just moving units

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/47099/GR19_BC50.SAV

And a pic of the current situation. Quite many units pouring in now.

lurker's comment:
Genocide Rules:
Our people have zero tolerance of anyone not native. This means:
1) Declare war immediately with no trades or checking diplomacy.
:confused: :scan: :confused:

The Babylonian city of Uruk has been visible for many turnsets. But war wasn't declared this turnset.

Why the wait?

lurker's comment: The Babs hadn't made contact. They would have had to deliberately go and meet them to make contact to DoW them. Sometimes that just isn't at the top the list when you already are fighting multiple enemies.

Lurker: Normally in massive AW games you want to not gain another enemy. If is especially true AWE or better as they do better and better at fielding replacements.

lurker's comment: Its a bit like the last GR game, lots of early contacts, if my count is correct you now have 8 before 0AD :eek:

Still, the game may well be decided in the next turn set: 7 turns to IW and 9 to the Great Library. Time to get the lucky candles out :)

Well if we miss the GLib by a turn, we may only have ourselves to blame. :(

We are supposed to have 4 mines at Edrine and working max shields, increasing the lux tax as needed after Lit came in. Instead we have a scientist there and are wasting food.

Putting the scientist to work gets us back to 8 turns. We'll just have to see what happens. With all the cascades, time could run out regardless.

Forgot to change that. :( Anyhow I think this game is over. Xerxes will send Immortals soon in the East. Bowmen in the North. We have too many contacts and no cats, so our killcount will get worse. Constant pressure in the West. Fighting with archers will get us nowhere.

I didn't realize it was already merged. Sorry for the confusion.

If we get the GLib we can build Catapults. swords, and maybe Pikes soon. That is why we were emphasizing it. It keeps us from losing - or at least gives us a chance. That is exactly why we were saying maximum shields were so important.

lurker's comment:

:confused: :scan: :confused:

The Babylonian city of Uruk has been visible for many turnsets. But war wasn't declared this turnset.

Why the wait?

As stated they were not on the list of contacts. The immediate part means as soon as you have contact. You do not have to go meet them, in fact you can avoid them if you wish. France and Greece are the same way. We know where their city is but we have no desire to actively go out and declare war on them. (and actually, I think the more realistic genocide variant would be where we don't declare war unless they try to contact us (we kill their diplomat), they enter our lands, or we attack them - why would we go out of our way to tell them we are at war with them? - but then it isn't fully AW anymore)

Top Bottom