[GRAPHICS] BouncyMischa Fantasy and Sci-Fi Building Models

Oh well i cant wait to see the final result :goodjob:

They're AWESOME ! My compliments, bouncymischa. :worship:

If I remeber correctly, in the last picture a worker is building an "Arcology", do you think it will be possible to use it as building art instead of an improvement (so that can appear on a city)?

Bouncymischa, do you have the original texture of the Subspace Beacon handy?
I'd like to try reskinning it, it could serve as the Warhammer Chaos Star Gate.
The reason I want the original (I'm currently using the silvery version) is that it's colored in more or less the same patterns as what I want to reskin it to, while the silvery one is harder to find the outlines of the patterns I want.
Basically, it's easier to reskin brown stone into black stone than silver or black metal into black stone.
Do you think you could update the OP as well? It would save some searching through the thread for those who haven't been following it from the start.

They're AWESOME ! My compliments, bouncymischa. :worship:

If I remeber correctly, in the last picture a worker is building an "Arcology", do you think it will be possible to use it as building art instead of an improvement (so that can appear on a city)?

Thanks Ulixes! Unfortunately, I suspect that modifying city and building art is more difficult in Civ V than Civ IV -- I know other modders haven't been able to add new city styles. It may be possible to add new building art -- I'll take a look into it.

Bouncymischa, do you have the original texture of the Subspace Beacon handy?
I'd like to try reskinning it, it could serve as the Warhammer Chaos Star Gate.
The reason I want the original (I'm currently using the silvery version) is that it's colored in more or less the same patterns as what I want to reskin it to, while the silvery one is harder to find the outlines of the patterns I want.
Basically, it's easier to reskin brown stone into black stone than silver or black metal into black stone.
Do you think you could update the OP as well? It would save some searching through the thread for those who haven't been following it from the start.

The original texture for the Subspace Beacon is available in the mod as "beacon.dds" -- the silvery beacon I showed in the picture is actually "beaconblue.dds". If you want, when you get the new .dds file I can edit the .gr2 so that it uses it. (Otherwise you'd have to use the current model with a modified copy of the beaconblue.dds file...)

EDIT: On second thought, I'm fairly certain you've got Nexus Buddy yourself, and can simply replace the .dds reference in the .gr2 file yourself... XD

And I really need to update the OP... once I figure out how to organize it properly. XD I really should've planned this thread out better...

EDIT: OP updated!

And finally, here's the latest batch of near-future improvements!

Industrial Site, Hydroponics Dome, High-Energy Research Centre, Network Node, Communications Array

The original models I used to create these were converted to Civ IV by Walter Hawkwood and Lord Tirian, although these models aren't direct conversions like the ones I did before, but instead combinations of multiple different buildings from different sources. Each one includes an "under construction" and "pillaged" model!

They do look quite nice when an area is fully developed...

But with the futuristic advancement of industry and technology, there will always be new hazards to watch out for! Like what if poorly programmed nanoassemblers are inadvertantly released into the environment, and continuously consume everything in the surrounding area while replicating themselves further into a "grey goo" scenario?

It could be quite the disaster! :p

The new set of improvements models (including the "grey goo" resource) can be downloaded here.

Yee-ow!
You still surprised me bouncymischa! I was not expecting the comm array or the nanobot takeover...
If Robot Wars ever becomes real, I hope I can make some improvements have a random event attached to them, so every turn there is like a .1% chance that Rogue Nanomachinery starts spawning like mad, starting from tiles adjacent to the improvement and spreading outwards at increasing speeds... it could be a resource that basically removes all yields so that areas hit by it lose all their value until cleaned up... sort of like Fallout Xtreme.
Thanks for the notice about the Subspace Beacon texture... I'll look more closely next time.;)
And yes, I'm quite capable of reskinning it myself, thanks.:D
Awesome batch as usual!

Hey, here's the revised model for the windtrap: windtrap_revised.7z - this should look a lot more like it was intended to look when I first made it (apart from the animation, of course, the glow used to "scroll" through the back panel).

Hope that works as intended, looking forward to seeing it in-game! :)

PS: any reason you're not uploading these to the CivFanatics database? It's a good place to keep stuff since you don't have to deal with links to Dropbox etc. going dead and you can link from the database straight to this thread, give all people involved credit and so forth... quite convenient, really.

Hey, here's the revised model for the windtrap: windtrap_revised.7z - this should look a lot more like it was intended to look when I first made it (apart from the animation, of course, the glow used to "scroll" through the back panel).

Hope that works as intended, looking forward to seeing it in-game! :)

Thanks! I've been meaning to improve the solar farm as well, so I can work on both of those!

PS: any reason you're not uploading these to the CivFanatics database? It's a good place to keep stuff since you don't have to deal with links to Dropbox etc. going dead and you can link from the database straight to this thread, give all people involved credit and so forth... quite convenient, really.

I remember at one point I was having a terrible time trying to get anything uploaded to civfanatics, and someone suggested I try using dropbox instead. So I switched to that and didn't really go back to uploading stuff on civfanatics. XD

Still, I should post them here to share, just like the Civ IV models I used, so I'll give it a try. I'm... not really sure what to call the mod, though! I just called it "Custom Improvements 6", but that isn't terribly explanatory... should I call it "Future Improvements 2"?

I'd love to see you make nice looking Canals and Bridges. I bet you could pull that off :)

Toss all fantasy improvements in one, toss all sci-fi improvements in another, call 'em Bouncymischa's Fantasy/Sci-fi Improvements. When you make more just update the mod on CFC, I do it all the time with unit models (which reminds me I badly need to update the Undead Units OP)...

Iam just speakless :goodjob:

Hello bouncymischa,
is there a chance to get a more fantasy-like portal?
That warp portal you have is cool, but a bit too much scifi ;)

Thanks!

I'd love to see you make nice looking Canals and Bridges. I bet you could pull that off :)

I'm not quite so sure -- so far, all I've done is convert existing Civ 4 models to Civ 5, although in the most recent set I put a lot of work into assembling those buildings into more complex collections. I don't recall seeing any bridge or canal models in the Civ 4 downloads, so it's probably something that would have to get made from scratch, which would be lot harder. Still, it might be possible to work may way up to something like that someday...

As Civitar said, lovely work as usual! :)

Iam just speakless :goodjob:

Thanks! :D

Hello bouncymischa,
is there a chance to get a more fantasy-like portal?
That warp portal you have is cool, but a bit too much scifi ;)

Thanks!

There is a model Walter Hawkwood converted for Civ 4 that should be usable. I'll give it a try when I get the chance. :3

If Robot Wars ever becomes real, I hope I can make some improvements have a random event attached to them, so every turn there is like a .1% chance that Rogue Nanomachinery starts spawning like mad, starting from tiles adjacent to the improvement and spreading outwards at increasing speeds... it could be a resource that basically removes all yields so that areas hit by it lose all their value until cleaned up... sort of like Fallout Xtreme.

Great idea ;)

We will look if we can include it into our new "Event System" for CCTP.

@BouncyMicha
May i ask you, for creating some build icons for your other great improvements ?
:bowdown:

Great work Bouncymischa!

could you detail which .dds files belong to which improvement?
I plan to use the Industrial Site and the HERC.

Ahh, sorry about that! I had considered trying to divide up the art files into subfolders for each improvement, but since some of them share texture files I wasn't quite sure how to go about it. In hindsight, I could've just duplicated the corresponding files and simply not loaded them all into VFS for the mod.

However, the art files for each improvement are:

Industrial Site
Factory01A1Base
Factory01A2Base
OilRefineryBase
desal
desal2
DroneSet
quarrymodern
no_gloss

BioDomes
Arcology_Base_DIFF
Arcology_Base_GLOSS
Arcology_Base_Destroyed_DIFF
Arcology_Base_Destroyed_GLOSS
Arcology_Dome_DIFF_bio
Arcology_Dome_GLOSS
mod_farm
cycon_set
crops
crops_irr
quarrymodern
no_gloss

High-Energy Research Centre (HERC)
institute_01
institute_02
market1
market2
market3
house
house_alpha
ReactorCore
cycon_set
quarrymodern
no_gloss

Network Nodes
networknode
angeltower
quarrymodern
no_gloss

Comms Array
angeltower
quarrymodern
no_gloss

The Grey Goo files should be fairly self-explanatory, and the Future2IconAtlas files contain the icons for the improvements and their build actions.

Hello bouncymisha!
I'm running into a texture error and can't find where my mistake is.
Here is my code:
Spoiler :

-- Art Defines
INSERT INTO ArtDefine_Landmarks (ImprovementType, Era, State, Scale, LayoutHandler, ResourceType, Model)
SELECT 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'Any', 'Constructed', 1.0, 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'BloodfireVents.fxsxml' UNION ALL
SELECT 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'Any', 'Pillaged', 1.0, 'SNAPSHOT', 'ART_DEF_RESOURCE_ALL', 'BloodfireVents_PL.fxsxml';

INSERT INTO ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes(Type, LandmarkType, FriendlyName)
SELECT 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'Improvement', 'DarkMine';

INSERT INTO Improvements (Type, SpecificCivRequired, CivilizationType, LuxuryCopiesSiphonedFromMinor, RequiresFeature, DestroyedWhenPillaged, OnlyCityStateTerritory, InAdjacentFriendly, OutsideBorders, BuildableOnResources, DefenseModifier, Coastal, PillageGold, NoTwoAdjacent, Description, Help, Civilopedia, ArtDefineTag, IconAtlas, PortraitIndex)
SELECT 'IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'true', 'CIVILIZATION_ESMODA', 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 15, 0, 'TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_DARK_MINE_TEXT', 'TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_DARK_MINE_TEXT', 'ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_DARK_MINE', 'TERRAIN_ATLAS', 36;

Here are two screenshots to show you what files are set to VFS=true and to show what's happening ingame:
Spoiler :

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello bouncymisha!
I'm running into a texture error and can't find where my mistake is.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hrm... I'll admit, I still can't parse SQL well so I'm not sure if there's any errors in there. XD

As I recall, though, the checkerboard effect tends to occur if you're using DX9 drivers. Are you using DX9, or DX10/11?

Hrm... I'll admit, I still can't parse SQL well so I'm not sure if there's any errors in there. XD

As I recall, though, the checkerboard effect tends to occur if you're using DX9 drivers. Are you using DX9, or DX10/11?
DX9.
I'm going to try DX10.
Thanks!

Top Bottom