[GRAPHICS] BouncyMischa Fantasy and Sci-Fi Building Models

DX9.
I'm going to try DX10.
Thanks!

Hey Belzhorash,

I was checking old threads to try and diagnose errors I'm having with a new model I'm working on, and found an old post that mentioned DarkScythe had the same issue when he didn't load the no_gloss.dds texture into VFS with the others. (Almost all of my models use the no_gloss.dds texture for their sref.) I double-checked the files you had listed, and it doesn't look like you've included the no_gloss.dds file in your mod.

Hey Belzhorash,

I was checking old threads to try and diagnose errors I'm having with a new model I'm working on, and found an old post that mentioned DarkScythe had the same issue when he didn't load the no_gloss.dds texture into VFS with the others. (Almost all of my models use the no_gloss.dds texture for their sref.) I double-checked the files you had listed, and it doesn't look like you've included the no_gloss.dds file in your mod.

Hello!
Thanks for your investigation!
Unfortunately, there is no no_gloss.dds in the download. And that's why I did not include it... :)

Hello!
Unfortunately, there is no no_gloss.dds in the download. And that's why I did not include it... :)

It might be called black_4x4.dds, at least that's how I name all my unglossy SREFMaps.

I've had black_4x4.dds suggested to me before, but since no_gloss.dds worked sufficiently for me I've just stuck with it. Odd that it wouldn't be included in the download... I'll have to check the files when I get home. Since I use it so ubiquitously it wouldn't be the first time I've inadvertantly left it out of a mod.

Hello!

I doublechecked the file, and you're correct! Sorry about that!

I've added it to the mod, and uploaded it to civfanatics rather than dropbox. The new version can be found here.

black_4x4.dds is the same thing I believe, just different naming and maybe different size. It's pure black though, right?

I took a look and it seems you're correct. I never really tried looking at it before -- I just knew it worked for what I needed. :p

If you don't want to use specular maps, then you may even want to remove any references to such textures in actual models. NexusBuddy can do that. All is needed is to delete the path there to SREF texture. And that's even better solution than to include and bother yourself with some "dummy" unecessary files.

Otherwise the specular maps can be used in certain ways, though very few actually will pay attention to such details ;] (see attachment)

Attachments

• sref_files_demystified.jpg
    sref_files_demystified.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 445
If you don't want to use specular maps, then you may even want to remove any references to such textures in actual models. NexusBuddy can do that. All is needed is to delete the path there to SREF texture. And that's even better solution than to include and bother yourself with some "dummy" unecessary files.

Otherwise the specular maps can be used in certain ways, though very few actually will pay attention to such details ;] (see attachment)

Interesting!

Admittedly, part of the problem is that I'm quite a novice when it comes to graphical modding. I've only just started trying to learn how to model things in Blender, and thus many of the concepts involved (such as specular maps) go right over my head. Up to this point, I've been relying on the methods presented by danrell in his tutorial, and his instructions were to use the no_gloss.dds file for the sref, so that's what I've been doing. :p Because it worked, I felt no real need to experiment with removing the sref, so I'm not sure if it'd have any effect on the appearance of the models in the game or not.

Hello bouncymischa,
is there a chance to get a more fantasy-like portal?
That warp portal you have is cool, but a bit too much scifi ;)

Thanks!

Sorry that it's been a while, Belzhorash, but I'm finally making some progress on the more fantasy-like portal you asked about!

Spoiler :

Still need to do the under construction and pillaged versions, but at least it's progress :3

Thanks for these, BouncyMischa. I'll probably include a few in v.12 Faerun, if that's okay with you.

Oh, no problem! I'm glad if people can get some use out of them!

If you want to let me know which ones you're looking at, I can try and get some build icons done up for you too. It's pretty easy to do those once I've got the models in hand.

Also, in my usual mercurial way, I haven't finished some of the older models I was working on (although I really should finish that gateway), but have been playing around with something else, inspired by RawSasquatch's teased Fallout civs:

Hoping to have a few different trading posts/outposts, a couple of industrial sites, a toxic waste site, and "ancient ruins" when I'm done!

New buildings look good!

HumanConstruction.gr2 (used as an hb graphic) references BanditRedoubtBase.dds , which doesn't seem to be in any of your uploads.

Ahhh, sorry about that! I know with a lot of my earlier models I was rather disorganized, so a few things got missed or mixed up. (Such as not including the sref file I was using in some cases.) At some point I want to go back through them, organize them more properly, and publish them on civfanatics like I did with that one sci-fi set I did, but I keep getting distracted with new ideas to try too. XD

Anyways, here's the .dds -- let me know if you're missing anything else you need.

Attachments

• BanditRedoubtBase.rar
    40.5 KB · Views: 352
Since FramedArchitect has been making use of my fantasty resources (as well as many of the other fantasy improvement models I made), I figured it was time I made proper improvements for those resources!

Blighted Mushrooms Farm, Bloodfire Pools, Insect Hives Camp

Spoiler :

Each improvement has an underconstruction, constructed, and pillaged model. I've also included .png files for icons for each.

The art and improvement files are available here.

The grey goo looks awesome; I asked for a mod like that for Civ 4 some time back. I assume it's a resource so it can actually spread?

And for that matter, do any of these function, or are they just art?

Top Bottom