1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Modification Requests Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by Thunderfall, May 22, 2006.

1. hrochland

hrochland Prince

@ devolution
    As I once wrote. Find a picture that matches your idea on the web and put it in a thread. I will try to process the model as shown.

2. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Let me come up with some ideas than :bounce:

Spoiler Modern Era (pics from Cities Skylines) :

Spoiler Medieval/Renaissance Era (pics from the Anno series) :

Spoiler Ancient Era :

3. devolution

devolution Prince

Those are really nice! :)

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

First of all, great mod component, I'm eager to use it and good graphics are the only thing that's missing.

But I have to wonder, is it even possible to have improvement art that can be placed at the right edge of the tile based on where the coast is?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  5. hrochland

hrochland Prince

I also asked this question.
    Apart from the fact that the ancient designs represent wonder more than the improvement, I would suggest the form of an artificial island - a building on the water without a shore-based orientation.

6. Kathy

Kathy Prince

I tried to design a gas station / petrol station, but I failed. I could not do a good filling pump. Now I wonder if someone would be interested in creating a model like this, maybe by converting it from any other game or google warehouse.

7. hrochland

hrochland Prince

Leave a picture here if you want. I will look at it...

8. Kathy

Kathy Prince

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I have two ideas for maritime terrain features that I unfortunately don't have art for:

1. Trade winds
    Similar to EU4, I would like to have a terrain feature that doubles ship movement on water tiles, representing wind currents that were actually used in history to quickly sail between continents. The idea could work without any additional art but I would love to visually indicate this. My best idea to represent that is similar to animated wind speed weather maps like this:
    Spoiler :

Obviously it could be a lot less obtrusive with just a couple of almost transparent white lines some altitude above the tile. Different directions could be created as different varieties of the feature.

2. Straits
    To better represent the importance of narrow straits for trade and economy, e.g. the Bosphorus or the Strait of Malacca. Basically just a feature on a water tile that gives extra commerce to make it more valuable. Here I have no idea how to represent it. Maybe some sort of water currents that reflect the narrowing of the strait?

Would anyone be interested to take this on? Or knows of existing art somewhere that already captures this? Any help is welcome

Crimean Lord likes this.
  10. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

How about recoloring the blackhole from FF for trade winds?
    Some mods have Islets (mine for example). Resize them ar your will and place on a 1 tile coast between 2 land tiles.

Just ideas.

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Hm. I'm not really interested in the eye of the hurricane part, so a black hole maybe isn't best. But don't some air units leave those swooshes? Maybe it's possible to animate them as a feature somehow.

And islets are a good idea, I'm just wondering how reliably they can be placed depending on the configuration of land tiles.

I guess I have some stuff to try.

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

These would be animated improvements, have to have both nif and kfm files to work properly

I was thinking that it is strange to have ancient looking windmills suddenly jump to modern windfarm fans with nothing in between, so I'm requesting a Medieval Windmill

I think it looks less european which would work better I think than the other pictures I've seen.

Also why not a futuristic windmill for mods that go beyond the modern era?

Leoreth likes this.
  13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I tried to add the waves from the clams resource to the shrimp resource from the link below. I did manage to include the static waves, but my attempts to include the waving motion to the kfm files failed. Could someone merge the animated waves from the clams to the shrimps for me, please?

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/shrimp-resource.8417/

If can provide you with the nif file with the added static waves. But it might be easier for you if you merged the waves and animation yourself.

14. The Snail

The Snail Chieftain

Hello everyone,
    I'm trying to create a new forest feature, merging jungle and tree leafy. My problem is that after merging the two features, the nif appears ingame but does not follow the relief heights (see pic below; the jungle is there for comparison).

I imagine that the problem comes from the configuration of the nif.

Could someone help me understand ?! thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

15. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

The nif files are missing some properties. If I open your file, I see that these properties are set. If you open the vanilla tree model, you will see that there are many more properties set. You should copy the other properties too your new file.

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

16. The Snail

The Snail Chieftain

Thanks merijn for your quick answer. I just clicked on your downloads and see the last one "forest variations"... great job! I just want to do the same by my way...
    In fact i realized that some properties were missing and i've tried to copy/paste branches that missing in Nifskope but didn't succeed in a functional feature ingame (the method is a bit hazardous). I'm using Blender to export my nifs but it seems to "eat" some of my model properties.

My real need is how to configure properly Blender, or how to add these missing properties correctly (or to read a good tutorial that I unfortunately did not find :think:).
    Thanks for help (and also for your new forests :))

17. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

You are lucky that I myself very recently made the new forest variations. If you asked the question a little while ago I didn't have the experience myself and couldn't help you.

If you find a way to avoid blender "eating" the properties, please let me know. My suspicion is that the missing properties have no equivalence in Blender and are disgarded because of that. If that is the case I don't think there is a way to save those properties.

I also used blender to create the new forest variations and had to copy the missing properties manually every time. After a few times I knew what I had to do in post-processing the nif files in nifskope and could do it very quickly. But any automization is welcome.

18. The Snail

The Snail Chieftain

Hello Merijn, I've reworked my model, and add the missing properties, but compared to "normal" forest (see pics) my model seems to be incomplete (I think it comes from the nifs 1,2,4 and 8). In addition, with relief heights some of the trees are not well displayed.
    Finally it seems that sometimes the worldbuilder doesn't take into account my model.
    Could you have a look on this and tell me what's wrong please?... (I didn't find the magic potion formula :cry:)
    And naturally I haven't found any kind of automation for Blender... (otherwise it's too easy)

Attached Files:

19. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

I think the problem is in the NiStringExtraData property. I'm not sure what it does exactly, but I noticed that the values in this property match the coordinates of the trees in the nif file. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that this property is in someway used to render the trees and for relief heights.

I compared nif 2, which places trees on the NE corner of a tile. As you can see in the image, your model (on the left) has much more trees in the bottom left corner, which would appear in the middle of the tile. These are not covered by the NiStringExtraData property. These are also the trees that are missing on your screenshot. (The bottom left of your custom tree batch)

Spoiler :

What I did in my models, is keeping the tree arrangement the same as the base file. I deleted some trees of the base file, and move the imported new trees to the location of the deleted trees. As you can see in the screenshot, the bamboo batches are in the same place as some trees of the base file. A benefit of this is that the amount of trees remains the same, so you avoid the forest become too dense of too sparse.

Another benefit of this, is that the shadows are also in the same location. I only had to change the UV coordinates to use the proper part of the dds file. I see that you use the shadows of 2 models at the same time. You see some shadows without a tree.

Spoiler :

What do you exactly mean by "Finally it seems that sometimes the worldbuilder doesn't take into account my model"?

Attached Files:

20. The Snail

The Snail Chieftain

OK, it looks so simple when viewed from outside! Very big thanks to you for this analysis. I have worked empirically and obviously I have made some mistakes. Your method has the advantage of being simple and effective (I realy appreciate it :thumbsup:). I'm going to work on my personnal models now, and I will keep the community informed if I do something good.
    For the worldbuilder it is certainly a display problem between my model and my dds file, but it doesn't really matter, let's forget that point.

To conclude I found this thread that deals with our subject from a slightly different angle (I imagine that you already knew it Merijn...):
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/blender-modeling-tileable-forest-features.481612/