Graphics

With only a few months left before the game comes out I wouldn't expect the art style to change really at all at this point. You might see things like the shape of the borders altered a bit, but that's about the biggest shift that's ever made so late in a project.

- Jon

I disagree with this. The entrance part to the Pyramids is taken straight out of the Luxor temples, so while the Pyramids might not actually have had such entrance parts (and then again, they might have), I don't mind this.

Do we actually know what the original Pyramid looked like. I think I remember reading that one of the muslim caliphs supposedly tried to destroy them and managed to break off the outer layer of masonry. Not sure though

Checking out places like reddit(eww), seems like the people with the strongest dramatic reactions to the graphic style are themselves the ones with the most childish reactions, pulling out some lolmeme crap and going "omg omg warcraft! what's next pokemon units?".

I like the graphics but really would like to see them in move.
Two things they could change and I wouldn't mind:

I know that the roof colors are to distinguish the districts, but they could be little less bright, might not be huge work to change them.

Make the swordman's sword smaller! :D

When Civ V was released people were complaining about the rivers, and those were changed. Also at some ptach they changed the trading post graphics too.

This art style is more reconstruct able for being "cartoonish" too. That means user mods will be easier to design and fit in more seamlessly.
On the other hand, this does mean that most previous models cannot be easily ported over to the new game (particularly improvements); at the very least they will likely have to be re-textured to fit the new style.

This art style is more reconstruct able for being "cartoonish" too. That means user mods will be easier to design and fit in more seamlessly.

The more I think about this style the more pluses there are

The engine is what make mods easy to design; not the cartoonish artstyle.

With only a few months left before the game comes out I wouldn't expect the art style to change really at all at this point. You might see things like the shape of the borders altered a bit, but that's about the biggest shift that's ever made so late in a project.

- Jon
Yes we're stuck with this look now. I keep coming back to the screens, and they keep shouting DON"T PLAY THIS GAME! What a colossal unforced error by Sid & Co. And such an incredible contrast with the cover art. If only they'd done a design based on that style...

Yes we're stuck with this look now. I keep coming back to the screens, and they keep shouting DON"T PLAY THIS GAME! What a colossal unforced error by Sid & Co. And such an incredible contrast with the cover art. If only they'd done a design based on that style...

They did also say that Civ 6 would be the most modifiable game of the series so far (and I thought 5 was pretty damn good (thanks Jon!!)) so I expect a few graphics packs to be popular on Steam Workshop quite quickly. Blue Marble was one of my favourite mods for 4 so there's a bit of a tradition in this regard too.

Based on these screens, I think 5 is still my favourite graphically, but it's not going to put me off and I'd like to see it in motion before making a final judgement anyway.

From the announcement I am excited about everything about Civ 6 but the graphics of the units, at the moment I can't tell if that is just a knee jerk reaction to change or something more. I think once we see more screenshots, or video footage then I'll be more certain one way or another

I'm not really a fan of the new art style either but I doubt making it look more like the cover art would've been much better.

Hmm not big fan of the graphics either. Why cant the graphics look more realistic? Even Sid Meiers Railroads from 2006 looks better than this sadly :-(

My feeling exactly.

That reminds me of "Age of Empires Online" that also had very similar cartoony graphics.
Did anyone here play it?

Although the gameplay of "Age of Empires Online" was good and very similar to "Age of Empires 2" it did fail a year or two after launch despite being "Free to Play".

I played it a little bit but the cartoony graphics turned me off so bad that I couldn't bring myself to continue playing it.

So there you have it, so many have expressed their disappointment of Civ 6 graphics that it is obvious that Firaxis made a huge mistake that is going to cost them in big loss of sales.
That means fewer expansions and DLC's for Civ 6.

I also doubt that any mods can change these cartoony graphics to realistic ones like Civ 5.
Graphics depend on the engine itself and no one can modify the engine except Firaxis.

So there you have it, so many have expressed their disappointment of Civ 6 graphics that it is obvious that Firaxis made a huge mistake that is going to cost them in big loss of sales.

It's currently in the "top sellers" list on steam despite the release date being in 5 months. I think you're greatly underestimating the amount of people who like the artstyle.

It's currently in the "top sellers" list on steam despite the release date being in 5 months. I think you're greatly underestimating the amount of people who like the artstyle.

Actually it is NOT in the "top sellers" any more.
Civ 6 dropped to the 19th place while Civ 5 Complete is in the 5th place.

Civ 5 sold almost 6 millions copies to date and I doubt it very much if Civ 6 can beat that with these cartoony graphics.

That's because the complainers are always the loudest. I love the art style, but I don't feel the need to fawn over every post the screenshots are in.

But yea, it a looks so Disney it's sad.
What's with the Disney hate? Most Disney films are visually beautiful--even the ones with weaker stories.

Top seller list on Steam is a very poor indicator of... well, anything. Any time there is a new release/pre-order, the title will jump to the top. All it shows is Steam doesn't sell a lot of games outside of huge sales or new releases.

That's because the complainers are always the loudest. I love the art style, but I don't feel the need to fawn over every post the screenshots are in.
Also, dislike of the art style won't make the game unplayable. Whether you enjoy the style or not, the graphic seem to be extremely clear and functional.

It will be interesting to see how the UI elements and animations add to the mix.

Two things I would change and then this look could be somewhat helped:

- colors (not this vibrant/saturated)
- trees (please, not these childish pine/xmas trees)

also: districts as should look more densed and to form a united entity of a city...

Two things I would change and then this look could be somewhat helped:

- colors (not this vibrant/saturated)
- trees (please, not these childish pine/xmas trees)

also: districts as should look more densed and to form a united entity of a city...

Even though I like the style, I do agree that I'd like the colors less saturated and the trees improved. I'd also prefer the districts match the architecture of the city, which they don't appear to in the screenshots. Odd that we (finally) get ethnic units, but not ethnic city districts.

My personal opinion?

It looks cheap and trashy. Like a free mobile game. Clash of clans isn't far from the mark. Terribly unrealistic and thus anti-immersive. Yes the resolutions will improve etc - but I hate this art style.

To me it looks designed for consoles and tablets, and is made to appeal to the widest possible audience (obviously - as any series of games does these days which is why us old time gamers get so annoyed by them because the gritty, darker games we used to play in the 90s are things of the past) so it's for kids, millennials, MOBA fans etc.

That's what all big games do nowadays. They take a great product and try and turn it into a cash cow by appealing to a wider audience than the people who made it popular in the first place - and the hardcore fans hate it as a result. Same thing happened with the total war series after Sega bought it years ago. I used to adore the original medieval total war and the first shogun (1 - not 2) - it went all mainstream and as a result - made a lot of money, but I lost my love for it.

With civ - I loved civ and civ 2. Hated the cartooniness of 3 and 4 - loved (and will continue to love 5 after the mechanics became much more fun with the expansions) and look like I will hate 6. From what I've read don't think I'll be buying.

Top Bottom