Greco-Roman Scout (2/24/07)

sepamu92

Prince
This is the Prodromoi from the Alexander scenario, re-boned to the scout animations. It fits a lot better than those native americans for Rome, Greece, Carthage and other Mediterranean civs.
EDIT as of 2/26/07 with backpack & shortsword instead of original native american axe.
Button included.

File at Database

Friggin Geo taking the woodelf position again.... ;)

Great job sepamu

I like it but I'm not sure about the native american axe. A dagger or short sword would have been better or a resized normal axe.

Yeah, that's a good point. I think I'll give him the Praetorian sword (slightly decreased in size) - and also maybe a backpack to make him look more "scoutish".

The backpack's a good idea. I made this just to see if it would work - he's wielding a torch made by WR, with the fire from The Colossus wonder. I can attach it later if you want and you can re-upload it. Looks a bit more scoutish :p

Here's Sepamu's scout with the torch, and also a settler bag (sack).
There is a minor bug though, with the Colossus fire, if part of the unit is behind the effect then it will still go in front of the fire effect for some reason.
Still looks cool while he's fighting though because the effect trails through the air :D

File's attached. The new button's included.

Attachments

• Scout_ROMAN (with torch).zip
    102.2 KB · Views: 251
I'm trying to add my first unit; I followed the guide in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=139721 but I have some problems and questions:

1) I noticed that there is no .kfm file in both the zips (the one with the sword and the other with the torch); i don't know what that file does, but it is necessary because you must enter its path in 'CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml' in the <KFM> tag. I have copied the standard scout .kfm file in my mod subfolder 'Assets\art\units\mediterranean_scout\'; i don't know if this method works well because the game freezes (see point 4).

2) I'm using the torch version and I have problems with the button:
a. In 'Scout_ROMAN (with torch).zip' there isn't the button with the torch, but the button with axe;
b. I copied the button with the sword from the other zip; this button appears "out of focus" in game; look here and compare this picture with the first picture in post #1:

c. the button in the technology screen is NOT "zoomed"; look here:

I don't know if it depends by the settings in the file 'CIV4UnitInfos.xml', in which i have written:

<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/roman_scout_button_sword.dds</Button>
instead of:
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Scout.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,1,1</Button>
(note the commas)

3) The unit has a strange posture in the civilopedia screen (and in the city screen..); moreover the fire of the torch is in a very strange position; compare this picture with the first picture in post #8:

4) The game freezes (not crash!) when my city has completed to building the unit. It can't manage some strange graphic problems.

I don't know if these problems are technical or related to this unit.. I decided to post in this thread first.. I apologize if my questions are more proper in a technical support thread than in a creation/customitation thread..

By the way thanks in advance.

Hi 10lire!

1. The .kfm manages the .kf files, and the .kf files are responsible for the animation.

You don't have to copy the old scout animations files, just use the original path:

<KFM>Art/Units/Scout/Scout.kfm</KFM>

2. the comma doesn't matter, The file "Scout_ROMAN.dds" is the button for the scout with the torch.

3. If a unit looks like that the animation path is wrong. Use the original kfm path (see point one) and it should work

4. correct the kfm path, maybe this problem is related to it.

hope it helps

Chamaedrys;)

Top Bottom