Greedy workers..seek more than 150% pay rise..hold up work

What should the capitalists do

• Total voters

druidravi

King
Linky

Spoiler :
Police have used batons, rubber bullets and tear gas to stop protests by garment workers in Bangladesh who want higher wages while factory owners fear they may miss shipment to the United States and Europe.

Police and news reports say the fifth day of protests Wednesday in two industrial districts near Dhaka forced authorities to close more than 100 factories for the day.

A police official in the Gazipur district says the workers have dispersed there. A.K.M. Mosharaf Hossain would not confirm any injuries in Gazipur.

Prothom Alo newspaper says clashes in the Narayanganj district injured at least 10 people.
The workers are demanding 8,114 takas (around $100) in place of 3,000 takas ($38) as a monthly minimum wage.

Bangladesh earns $20 billion a year from garment exports.

Stupid workers should know their position and accept the fair wage of 38$ per month salary . Now they are affecting the profit of capitalists . What happens if the capital flows out. You can even get a full meal for 10 cents.

Please advice how the Bangladeshi hard working capitalists can remove these irritants from coming in the way of high economic growth .

Those workers are just scum :/ They should try to understand that if they got the massive raise they ask then pretty soon the capitalist pops would start devolving. First to clerks. Then, in the end, to more miserable workers.
If they had ever played Victoria they would have already known that. I guess they would use the line they always do, that they were too busy working to learn anything at all :shake:

Those workers are just scum :/ They should try to understand that if they got the massive raise they ask then pretty soon the capitalist pops would start devolving. First to clerks. Then, in the end, to more miserable workers.
If they had ever played Victoria they would have already known that. I guess they would use the line they always do, that they were too busy working to learn anything at all :shake:

Let them pay for the losses.Deduct it from their salary.Force them to work for free till the losses suffered by the benevolent management are recompensed .

Why bother with all that? The Dhaka police force could benefit from the moving target practice some more. It'll help them to repress the workers more efficiently in the future. And you know how much capitalists love efficiency.
The problem with this is that if they kill too many workers they may upset the current supply-demand equation. If the workers can't be easily replaced, the employers will need to raise salaries. A much safer bet would be to threaten the workers' families.

On a serious note, I know absolutely nothing about the labour or wage situation in Bangladesh, so I won't comment on this story except to say that a pay rise like that is positively huge. I would be interested in knowing Bangladesh's cost of living and the wages of workers in similar positions before I'll pass judgement on the employers in this case.

The problem with this is that if they kill too many workers they may upset the current supply-demand equation. If the workers can't be easily replaced, the employers will need to raise salaries. A much safer bet would be to threaten the workers' families.

On a serious note, I know absolutely nothing about the labour or wage situation in Bangladesh, so I won't comment on this story except to say that a pay rise like that is positively huge. I would be interested in knowing Bangladesh's cost of living and the wages of workers in similar positions before I'll pass judgement on the employers in this case.

We had a thread about an year ago about a collapse in one of those factories killing 350+ workers . The working conditions and pay are quite horrible. However they get away with it as unemployment is a worser option to the workers. It is a simple outsource of garment manufacture from western companies to dirt cheap third world countries. While economically it makes sense and simulates the local industry in Bangladesh as well , some minimum working conditions,pay could be enforced .

Edit: The collapse was 3 months ago..not 1 year back.

It's huge, except for the fact that this is primarily an export industry. And at the consumer end, the price difference would be barely noticeable.

Employers in Bangladesh keep two records of workers hours. One to show foreign buyers anxious that they don't get a reputation for profiting from unscrupulous work practices, and another for the actual hours worked.

They also favour locking their workers into the buildings: in case of fires they don't want the workers scrambling to get out and injuring themselves.

Don't worry, I have the long-term plan of consuming fossil fuels in order to flood them out. Sometimes I just burn gasoline having fun. Win/win.

The only logical solution is for the manufacturers to move their operations to another country where the people are even more desperate.

Which would be...

Spoiler :
...the People's Republic of Congo!

I think most people are rooting for them - don't think anything will happen though ultimately

I think we should restrict CEO compensation in relation to their workers (say 50x the average worker), and include contracted labor in that as well. Companies could pay people in developing countries as little as they want . . . as long as the CEO doesn't mind getting paid very little (I suppose s/he could move to a developing country so that they could semi-live on the low wages . . .)

That would allow you to tax the stock, yes, but not revenue from that stock, which after passing into the CEO's hands is now his property as a private individual, with no relation to his capacity as CEO.

There's also the issue that the companies actually selling these sorts of goods are generally not the ones making it, who are rather contractors producing to order, so the workers in question are not actually employees of the people you propose to tax.

That would allow you to tax the stock, yes, but not revenue from that stock, which after passing into the CEO's hands is now his property as a private individual, with no relation to his capacity as CEO.

There's also the issue that the companies actually selling these sorts of goods are generally not the ones making it, who are rather contractors producing to order, so the workers in question are not actually employees of the people you propose to tax.

I didn't say anything about a tax, I mentioned a relative cap, and I said that the wages of those doing contracted work should be included.

As for revenues from stock, that could be counted as compensation if the stock was given as compensation

Caps, yes, not taxes, my mistake. None the less, I don't see how this could work legally. A liberal sates cannot simply issue regulations without regard to the legally-defined rights and responsibilities of those to whom the regulations refer.

Top Bottom