Guide to using the Communitas Expansion Pack (CEP) with the City-State Diplomacy mod

skodkim

Deity
This is a guide to using the Communitas Expansion Pack (CEP) with the City-State Diplomacy mod (CSD).I'll try to keep it updated for future updates, but no guarantees.

The guide is based manual mod installation, not Steam, as I like to be in control of installed mods, i.e. update them manually.

The guide is based on CEP v 3.14 and CSD v 15.6. It works both with CSD with and without dll. Furthermore the combined dll by Whoward has been tested and it works (link). This does however need a little bit of work, which I won't go into here.

From version 3.14 CEP includes a reference to CSD making CEP always run after CSD (prevents missing CSD units bug). Furthermore CEP reads the gold gifting option from CSD's option file (to prevent gold gifting being disabled even though it was enabled in CSD's options file).
  1. First step is to install the two mods in your mods folder.
  2. Find Cat\Cat_Options.sql and make sure the following is set:
    Spoiler :

/*
    CityState Diplomacy Mod Compatibility
    1 = using CSD and Cep
    0 = not using CSD and Cep
    */
    INSERT INTO Cep (Type, Value) VALUES ('USING_CSD', 1);
  3. Find CSD\Options.sql and make sure the following is set:
    Spoiler :

/*
    Gold Gifting and Gold-Related Quests with City-States On/Off
    1 = Gold Gifts Enabled
    2 = Gold Gifts Disabled (Default)
    */

INSERT INTO CSD (Type, Value)
    VALUES ('GIFT_OPTION', 2);
Do not enable USING_CEP' in CSD's options file as this will cause fatal issues with the game. This setting will (according to Gazebo, author of CSD) be removed from future versions of CSD.

Furthermore I recommend against enabling the options "CSD_POLICIES", "CSD_BONUSES" and "ANCIENT_WONDERS" in CSD's options file as this will most likely cause unintended behaviour from e.g. the affected policies. However it shouldn't cause fatal issues.

Last advice: If it doesn't work clear your cache and try again.

Examples of Option files have been attached. This may not be exactly how you want your's - especially for CAT.

\Skodkim

Thx a lot for your effort! :thumbsup: I've seen you working on this in Github, and it comes just at the right time. I just thought the whole diplomacy could use some work.

How does this work with the Patronage policy tree? Does the city state mod change this tree. As it is, some policies in the tree would be useless without gold gifts. Definitely want to try it out!

How does this work with the Patronage policy tree? Does the city state mod change this tree. As it is, some policies in the tree would be useless without gold gifts. Definitely want to try it out!

I honestly do not know. All I can say is that using CSD policies will propably mess up policies. Perhaps we can find a solution but it's going to take some time and that's not really my focus right now - sorry.

\Skodkim

Deleting CEP_Patronage.xml might work.

That might Work. If patronage policies are changed by sql you can also put in a check in Using_CSD is enabled.

Looks like CSD modifies the following policies:
POLICY_CONSULATES
POLICY_PHILANTHROPY
POLICY_CULTURAL_DIPLOMACY
POLICY_SCHOLASTICISM
POLICY_MERCHANT_CONFEDERACY
POLICY_TREATY_ORGANIZATION
POLICY_GUNBOAT_DIPLOMACY

\Skodkim

CEP_End.sql has only two specific policies handled in it: POLICY_HOMESTEAD_ACT and POLICY_CULTURAL_CENTERS. Everything else in it is general policy work. The rest of the data edits done for the specific policy trees are done in xml, as seen in the \CEG\Policies\Trees\ directory.

What do you think about the option in CSD to allow both gold payments AND diplomatic units? This way the policies that boost gold payments wouldn't go to waste. Or is having both active too much?

What do you think about the option in CSD to allow both gold payments AND diplomatic units? This way the policies that boost gold payments wouldn't go to waste. Or is having both active too much?

That's really a question for Gazebo but I don't think its a good idea to use both.

The policy in question is one we're probably going to change if USING_CSD is enabled.

\Skodkim

I may be wrong here but I am pretty sure the DLL version of CSD is that DLL.

Whoward, I think, has combined a number of DLL functions of his own and others devising and that is what is being used in Gazebo's CSD.

Like I said, I may be wrong.

If I am correct, I would suggest we too start looking at adding some of our needed DLL fixes, but that is for another thread.

My understanding is that you can only have 1 DLL mod at a time. What Whoward did was combined the two mods DLL mods (adding the functionality of both to the singular DLL) so you can get the benefits of both at the same time.

Well, if a minimum change to the main mod saves us lots of complicated coding and the bugs that come with it...

I'm not sure where you're trying to suggest. Did you want CEP to turn gold gifting on despite the CSD settings? Right now CEP is set to defer to CSD's gold gifting settings because it seems like gold gifting is what's the most unbalanced about the diplomatic victory (and one of the strengths of using CSD in the first place).

Top Bottom