Guild/Corporation Yield Balancing

Lots of things in C2C are neat ideas, but generally totally overdone. Even Pollution, which I agree works on some level, is split into two unnecessarily and ramps up to extremely severe penalties very quickly.

I thought that auto-buildings (with the applicable effects) were the point of those systems.

I thought that auto-buildings (with the applicable effects) were the point of those systems.
I don't like the very approach of auto-buildings for some reason but cannot really explain, other than I think there could be better ways to do it. Something more like revolutions/culture: a bar increasing/decreasing, reaching levels and causing effects.

I don't like the very approach of auto-buildings for some reason but cannot really explain, other than I think there could be better ways to do it. Something more like revolutions/culture: a bar increasing/decreasing, reaching levels and causing effects.

Would be interesting to see if that'd work, but if not then auto-buildings is something that already works so no need to reinvent anything. However it goes about being done, it's something I'd like to see sometime.

At least early code for pollution was imported in AND dll a long time ago; I did it when I was importing mostly bug fixes from C2C dll years ago. But it definitely requires more work to import all the most recent dll code, not to mention XML and python needed for interface. But pollution is not something I want to add to AND. Maybe in a modmod, but definitely not now.

At least early code for pollution was imported in AND dll a long time ago; I did it when I was importing mostly bug fixes from C2C dll years ago. But it definitely requires more work to import all the most recent dll code, not to mention XML and python needed for interface. But pollution is not something I want to add to AND. Maybe in a modmod, but definitely not now.
Well... if the dll/python was there with a modular XML switch to turn on the mechanics than maybe I could handle the xml part in a modmod.
Although I don't really like the auto-building way of it, it's still better than nothing in my view.

Well... if the dll/python was there with a modular XML switch to turn on the mechanics than maybe I could handle the xml part in a modmod.
Although I don't really like the auto-building way of it, it's still better than nothing in my view.

Same; I liked the concept of it and how your actions impacted things. I don't really have any strong opinions of the auto-building mechanic though, it never really bothered me but I do feel it could be accomplished in a more efficient way (and thus no spammed notifications about X being "built" in 17 different cities at once)

On topic, I propose one brutal solution to guild/corporation balancing, I already use and works just fine for me.

I play huge/marathon (I think that's the recommended setting), and feeling the numbers of buildings and units ungainly, I just set guilds and corps on automatic. Easy solution. Now guilds and corps affect play more like a random event - that's okay and interesting if some are better than others, I just work with the cards I'm dealt. Sometimes by chance I'm dealt a nice "hand". Personally I find this play more fun than pumping out executives and deciding which stores go where. The guild system seemed extra complicated, so I rather just have it do its thing under the hood.

I do appreciate some players might enjoy the task of spreading guilds and corporations. They'd want balance so their every option demands some consideration. But I wonder, with all due respect, if they're really a small minority? Open question: Does anybody object to AND, by default, setting guilds and corporations on automatic?

I feel just the opposite about religions. I'd much rather have choices between religions than corporations. The flavour value of choosing, say, Blacksmiths vs. Goldsmiths is rather bland compared to Buddhism vs. Hellenism. But AND compelling choices in religion - and balancing religions to make those choices fair yet interesting - is another topic.

I'd object, actually. Realistic Corporations is an option, and I'd like to keep it that way. My ideal would be to have both corporations and religions have their founding location completely under control of the player, making Shrines into a reasonably-cheap building that founds the religion like a Corporate HQ does.

Yeah I never use auto-spreading corporations. An important part of Civ for me is the management aspect, the optimisation problems involved. I'd very much appreciate being able to choose where a religion is founded, as Voky' suggests above.

I understand that on slow speeds with large maps games can get overly tedious if there's too much micromanagement involved. The way I deal with that is to play large maps which have very little decent land; lots of desert and ice and mountains and so forth. This limits the number of cities for most of the game and gives lots of scope for strategic decision making. I use a slightly modified Totestra map script (including swamps, and more of those hostile terrain types than normal).

So yes, I would be bothered if we couldn't control corporations manually.

Cheers, A.

Top Bottom