Hair cuts.

Just before lockdown I thought about getting a haircut, put it off (procrastination rules!) and now wish I hadn't!

Same. I get mine cut every 6-8 weeks cus I have a short hairstyle. I think I'm up to 10 weeks now and it's really bugging me. I hate the feeling of hair on my forehead. I might just slick it all back with some product. It'll look ridiculous but at least not be a bother.

I stopped fussing about fancy hairstyling when I was about 19.

And I started routinely clippering my own hair back in my early 20s, when I was living in places where there wasn't a convenient barber (whose language I spoke), and where having very short hair was anyway very much more convenient for my job than the alternative. This post shows a fairly typical recent example of my standard 'do, and for much the same reasons.

Now usually prune it back every couple of months, once it gets to around the 30-35 mm-mark on top — or once the bits around my ears start going noticeably curly. So I did that yesterday, because it was time. Crisis, what crisis?

I got a haircut right before the pandemic, so I'll be fine for a few more weeks. I should have had her cut it a lot shorter.

I'm growing a beard.

~7 or 8 years ago I let my wife cut my hair and it looked ridiculous so I didn't let her do it again for years. She's been doing my sons all along though and has gotten better. I let her give it another shot during this social lockdown and I'm perfectly happy with it. The practice has paid off. So at least I won't get shaggy during the pandemic.

Haircuts are an unnecessary luxury with little value to those with no need to look “good” for work. This gives credence to my position encouraging a UBI consisting solely of “housing credits” (rental assistance and mortgage assistance) and “nutrition credits” (pretty much WIC), combined with single-payer for basic preventative or emergency healthcare. I say this despite my sister being a licensed cosmetologist and myself receiving SSI because I only require a full stomach and a roof over my head and am willing to work for luxuries (I was a busboy at an all-you-can-eat buffet until recently).

Does your wife have any competence on the subject?

Never worked as a hairstylist. She's alright. You can tell it's not a professional cut, but certainly an improvement over what is was before because of how long it got. Teenage daughter long ago before becoming a teen banned her mother from cutting her hair, but girls are more picky about their hair. 6 year old boy isn't as picky.

'Chinese long boy hairstyle' is fine I guess if the kid is old enough to maintain it themselves, otherwise it is a real PITA to not have him looking like a shaggy dog.

I normally don't get my haircut when I look like a total mess, but rather before. So going a month more will not be a problem ;).

It now actually makes less sense after that explanation...

Haircuts are an unnecessary luxury with little value to those with no need to look “good” for work. This gives credence to my position encouraging a UBI consisting solely of “housing credits” (rental assistance and mortgage assistance) and “nutrition credits” (pretty much WIC), combined with single-payer for basic preventative or emergency healthcare. I say this despite my sister being a licensed cosmetologist and myself receiving SSI because I only require a full stomach and a roof over my head and am willing to work for luxuries (I was a busboy at an all-you-can-eat buffet until recently).

On messy hair: the big advantage of not shaving yourself (every day)... is that you hardly need to look in a mirror

EDIT
and to reverse that
The big advantage of grooming yourself whether shaving, hair, make-up, a long shower or bath... is that you feel so much better when ready and looking in a mirror :)

past my normal time period but since my wife is the only one seeing it, no problemo.
And I have lots of hats. ;)

Got my hair cut about two months ago and I reckon I'll be okay for about another month.

I always go for a short and simple buzzcut which lasts three months before it gets too long and annoying and in-my-face, which is just as well because I haaaate getting my hair cut. It's just an unpleasant experience.

I'll get my boyfriend to do it probably. He used to cut his own hair before I showed him a place where you could get a haircut for $10 AUD instead of the usual $20+ AUD most places charge and not have to wait in line for two hours.

Haircuts are hardly a necessity.

Mao Zedong's communes back in the day used to guarantee haircuts as an essential (alongside meals, clothing, childbirth, marriage, funeral, education, housing, heating, and theatre)

I just got mine lopped to shoulder length before this all started. I can probably let it go three to four inches before it gets to be a real nuisance, but hey, that's what ponies are for.

The only problem is having split ends.

I look like a hobo .... :D

Top Bottom