Happiness Buildings Bug?

WileyWilson

Chieftain
Hi All
I think I have found a bug. I have a size 6 city and have built my first happiness building, a circus. No tiles have happiness yields. I expected my global happiness to increase by 2, but it hasn't.

When I hover over the Happiness icon, Global Building Happiness is showing as 0.

I am using
  • Civ 5 G&K V1.0.1.705
  • G&K enhanced V1.053
  • Unofficial patch G&K V34

Any ideas please?
Thanks
Wiley

Global Happiness doesn't work like that.

With the unofficial patch, you'll see the Global Building Happiness taking in the modifiers from buildings such as the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame (and the grand circus national wonder).

But the circus, like the coliseum is a local happiness building, meaning that it will only increase happiness up to the level of your city's population. It's not global, and in fact, it's not displayed at all. If you add up the happiness bonuses in the tooltip, you'll find that they don't add up, the missing amount is the local happy contribution from each of your cities.

Now, in the GEM, there's a bug with the Global Building Happiness, once it comes into play, where it seems to be negative rather than positive. Thassalicus is trying to track down why.

Thanks for the reply. I had misunderstood what Global Building Happiness was. Thanks for the explanation. So with the current bug, I guess it's pointless building Notre Dame etc.

What I don't understand is when I sell my circus, why does the happiness number NOT change? I'm sure it does this in vanilla.

See screens of "Circus" and "No Circus". Happiness is still 1 on both.

Circus
Circus and Happiness 1.jpg

No Circus
No Cicus Happiness 1.jpg

It's not global, and in fact, it's not displayed at all. If you add up the happiness bonuses in the tooltip, you'll find that they don't add up, the missing amount is the local happy contribution from each of your cities.

I have nothing useful to add on the bug, but if the above quote is right, that is poor UI design. We really need a way that is less confusing. There should be a "happiness from buildings" entry for the aggregate non-redundant local happiness.

I think they are trying to do this. Wasn't there a proposed icon for local happiness in a thread somewhere? It's just a question of what priority that change has... It's certainly bad UI design.

In 1.053 happiness from buildings is bugged. All buildings have their happiness reduced to 0 in GEC_Start.sql. Later in the file, Colosseum, theatre, and stadium have their happiness increased by 1, giving each building a yield of 1 happiness.

Thank you for the helpful bug and UI problem reports. I will solve these issues as soon as I do a sweep for bug fixes sometime in the next few days. I intend to add information at the top-left of the city screen to show the happiness and unhappiness each individual city is producing. Firaxis should have done this when they limited happiness by city population. :)

Top Bottom